cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585v8 Rebooting When Laptop Connects

rogerandersonuk

TG585v8 Rebooting When Laptop Connects

Hi,
I have been having problems with my Thomson TG585v8 router. Originally when I joined plusnet I was given a v7 router. When it went on the blink in March I was given a v8. I have since encountered a problem whereby when my laptop boots up and connects to the internet I can browse for a minute or so and the router reboots. When it did so the power light went red and it went through the reboot cycle. After the router had rebooted I wouldn't get another issue until I restarted my laptop. No other device I have (iphones, ipods, ps3, girlfriends laptop etc) has this problem.
Last week I eventually got round to calling customer support who told me that the red power light was a bad sign and that they would send me a new router as it was probably faulty. Received it today, plugged it in everything connected then connect my laptop and the router rebooted. This time the power light goers green and not red though! However it still goes through the reboot cycle. It only does this with my laptop, and only from a cold start, if the computer is hibernated when it resumes i don't have a problem.
Anyone got any ideas? I tried setting fixed IP address as had read it might be an IP conflict, no luck. Running out of ideas now and so frustrating to have to wait for the router to restart. Also if i turn the router off, then turn the laptop on, then turn the router on it still reboots the router after its has been on the internet  for a few mins.
Very weird problem, hopefully someone out there can assist!
Cheers,
Roger
20 REPLIES 20
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: TG585v8 Rebooting When Laptop Connects

It's not this problem is it ? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96921.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Or indeed this problem, http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97817.0.html , which seems to be the same.  It is hard to imagine that Plusnet could have opted for a more troublesome router than the TG585v8.
rogerandersonuk

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes it does sound the same problem except I'm not using a Dell pc it's a Lenovo laptop. What I find strange is that my computer setup hasn't changed since I was using the v7 router which worked fine until it broke. I understand that as every other device I've tried works fine it points to my laptop, but I can't think of anything that would force the router to reboot.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi rogerandersonuk,
Can you please log in to your Thomson router at http://192.168.1.254/ and check the firmware version.  We may be able to fix this by remotely upgraing your firmware.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes it does sound the same problem except I'm not using a Dell pc it's a Lenovo laptop.

But it may well have the same Intel wireless adapter.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rogerandersonuk

Hi Alex, the firmware installed is 8.2.7.8 which as far as I can see is the latest version.
rogerandersonuk

Quote from: MisterW
But it may well have the same Intel wireless adapter.

ok, fair point. i checked out the link to the intel website which the other post highlights. here is what it says:
Intel® WiFi Products
Power Save Polling (PSP) causes connection issues with some access points
Symptom(s):
The following symptoms may be seen if a Wi-Fi access point (AP) or broadband Wi-Fi router does not properly support the Power Save Polling (PSP) feature:
    Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi connection
    Inability to initiate a Wi-Fi connection
    Poor Wi-Fi connection data performance
These symptoms may be more pronounced when on battery power.
Cause:
PSP mode is a feature that provides extended battery life for notebook computers. It requires coordination between the AP or router and the Wi-Fi adapter. Intel has discovered that some APs or routers may not implement the feature correctly or completely.
Solution:
Contact the AP or router vendor for updated software or firmware that corrects the problem.
<------so it is a router issues then
Alternate Solution:
An optional workaround is to manually put the Wi-Fi adapter into Continuously Aware Mode (CAM). This disables the PSP feature.

I'll need to check out the manual workaround and see if that would work. If it does though and the problem is as Intel have pointred out then surely a firmware upgrade for the router would be needed to sort this out properly.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

then surely a firmware upgrade for the router would be needed to sort this out properly.

You're absolutely right. It's probably going to take a while for Thomson to provide a firmware update though, so the workaround is useful.

rogerandersonuk

MisterW,  tried that workaround but it doesn't work with my adaptor. When access the wireless card settings using the Windows interface I don't get the power options that it lists. The other method of changing the power options using the Intel interface won't work because it isn't supported in Vista/Windows 7 as you are forced to use the windows native client to manage your wireless connections.
My wireless adaptor is an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 which must be a fairly common device. Surely there must be more then just a few people with this problem if that is what the issue is.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Does this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152 help at all ?

rogerandersonuk

Quote from: MisterW
Does this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152 help at all ?

Nice one! Just changed the power options to maximum performance rather than the maximum power saving it defaults to. Rebooted machine and it hasn't yet reset the router. Hopefully that has solved the problem!
Will report back if anything changes. I've been having the problem for months would love to know if there are plans in place to upgrade the firmware. Anyone from Plusnet able to comment on this?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's good news.

lexusuk
Grafter

@rogerandersonuk
Glad to hear you have found a fix.  I'm sure this thread will help our customers in the future who are experiencing issues.
As far as the firmware goes we are always working with Thomson to ensure our router will operate without issues.  As soon as there is an update available we will announce this but at the time of writing this post we are not aware of any updates planned for the near future.
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

I have the same problem, and the Microsoft workaround doesn't make any difference - in fact the laptop resets the router (back to a red light)  whether it's plugged in or not, so I guess it can't be a power saving issue? Please advise!