cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet robbing my speed?

thrillville
Grafter

Is Plusnet robbing my speed?

According to the bt speedtester my DSL Connection Rate is :4333 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 440 Kbps(UP-STREAM) and my  IP Profile is - 3823 Kbps.
Max Achievable Speed is 4000 Kbps.
However, Plusnet have my line speed configured at 3mb, it has been this way for some time now, but it used to be 3.5MB sometimes 4MB with a stable connection.
I have had no disconnections for over 7 days. I used to get 3.7MB on speed tests now i'm only getting 2.7MB. At these speeds the extra 1MB makes a big difference when streaming video.
Should my line speed be higher?

Edit: Sorry don't know how this ended up in accounts and billing, please move it to broadband and routers, thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Is Plusnet robbing my speed?

According to the bt speedtester my DSL Connection Rate is :4333 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 440 Kbps(UP-STREAM) and my  IP Profile is - 3823 Kbps.
Max Achievable Speed is 4000 Kbps.

BT are trialling a new system of IP profiling based solely on the synch speed and not in discrete steps as it used to be. You appear to have been allocated one of these and I don't think the PlusNet profile ( line speed ) follows these very well. Normally the system is automatic where BT inform PlusNet of any profile change and PlusNet's profile changes withing 12 hours. With the new system, either BT isn't informing PN or the PN system can't cope with the 'odd' profiles.
I'm sure one of the Digital Care team will spot this tomorrow and manually adjust your PlusNet profile accordingly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lexusuk
Grafter

That's correct.  The issue stems from our interaction with the BT network and circuits that are part of the newer DLM quantisation system.  We are aware of the issue and a fix is under development on our side.
@ thrillville
Your profile has been manually changed to 4000kbps on our systems.  The change should take effect in the next 15 minutes or so.  Please retest your speed and let us know if you have any issues.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Out of interest, does a manual change to the Plusnet profile hold if the BT profile changes?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
That's correct.  The issue stems from our interaction with the BT network and circuits that are part of the newer DLM quantisation system.  We are aware of the issue and a fix is under development on our side.

When is the likely completion date for this? In the meantime do users have to request the profile to be changed on PN side if they see an odd BT profile? If so this is a request as I have a BT profile of 2001kbps and PN's is at 1500kbps.
lexusuk
Grafter

@ReedRichards
No.  If we change a profile manually it will hold until we receive an update from the BT network to change the profile.
@itsme
We expect the fix to roll out during October but this could be subject to change.  During the intermediate our only option is to manually adjust our customers accounts.  I've updated your profile to 2000kbps as required.
Double_Six
Dabbler

Hi,
Is this why my PlusNet speedtest today showed 4864Kbps, yet a BT speedtest showed my IP profile as capped at 4500Kbps?
My connection speed is around 5500Kbps with a max rate of just over 6000Kbps, but things still not settled after recently installing my new Billion 7800n router.
Cheers,
Paul.
lexusuk
Grafter

If your IP profile is reported from the BT speed tester at 4500kbps your line is not associated with the DLM quantisation systems and is operating on the standard DLM.  Also your line is a standard ADSL circuit (20cn).  Only ADSL2+ circuits will have the chance to be connected to the DLM quantisation system.
Double_Six
Dabbler

Aha,
Thanks Alex. I was only wondering because I spotted this thread just after raising a ticket about my problems. In fact, one of the subjects in the ticket is the possibility of moving to ADSL2/ADSL2+.
Cheers,
Paul