Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending mail from a non-Plusnet connection - SMTP authentication

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Sending mail from a non-Plusnet connection - SMTP authentication

I set SMTP authentication up on each of my Mum & Dad's laptops who run Thunderbird on WinXP & Win7.  This is so that they can send email when they take their laptops away.  They leave it set up and configured like this when they're at home (on a Plusnet account) too.  It all works fine.
However a while ago something changed - having been using the mailbox username+accountname and mailbox password for SMTP authentication with no problems, Thunderbird suddenly said it was incorrect, and would only work with the accountname and account password - which is what it is set as now. 
I note with interest PeterJ's "announcement":
Quote from: PeterJ
Did you know by the way, that can authenticate against the SMTP server using the username+mailbox and the mailbox password credentials?

and I'm also concerned about sending a password in plain text.
And I reiterate previous questions about this change, its timing, its lack of announcement, and the fact that it is contradicted by the support guide on Thunderbird settings.
The process of setting Plusnet mailboxes using SMTP authentication up in Thunderbird has never been totally clear, and it seems to have got worse with the newer versions because Thunderbird assumes an encrypted connection and port.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: snozboz
I set SMTP authentication up on each of my Mum & Dad's laptops who run Thunderbird on WinXP & Win7.  This is so that they can send email when they take their laptops away.  They leave it set up and configured like this when they're at home (on a Plusnet account) too.  It all works fine.
However a while ago something changed - having been using the mailbox username+accountname and mailbox password for SMTP authentication with no problems, Thunderbird suddenly said it was incorrect, and would only work with the accountname and account password - which is what it is set as now. 

Just taken a look at the account associated with your forum username and you only have a single default mailbox and postmaster alias. Based on this I'm assuming the mailboxes your Mum and Dad use are associated with a different account?
Quote from: snozboz
I note with interest PeterJ's "announcement":
Quote from: PeterJ
Did you know by the way, that can authenticate against the SMTP server using the username+mailbox and the mailbox password credentials?

and I'm also concerned about sending a password in plain text.
And I reiterate previous questions about this change, its timing, its lack of announcement, and the fact that it is contradicted by the support guide on Thunderbird settings.

As far as I know it was changed a month or two back when some work was carried out on one of the mail databases. It wasn't announced because it wasn't the main intention of the work in question. Allowing username+mailbox for smtp auth was more of a bonus consequence. I've no idea if the change is a permanent one, but if it is we can certainly look at updating the support content.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
As far as I know it was changed a month or two back when some work was carried out on one of the mail databases. It wasn't announced because it wasn't the main intention of the work in question. Allowing username+mailbox for smtp auth was more of a bonus consequence. I've no idea if the change is a permanent one, but if it is we can certainly look at updating the support content.

As I remember it, when SMTP authentication was first introduced, it wasn't announced then either, on the grounds that it wasn't a feature that Plusnet officially supported & could be withdrawn at any time.
Is that still the case, or has it now become an official service?
For many of us, the SMTP server is the principal mail service we look to our ISP to provide. I do have a Plusnet email address, but don't rely on it as my main method of email communication. In an increasingly mobile world, being able to be authenticated against a SMTP server becomes correspondingly more important. I don't view webmail as a substitute.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Simon
Is that still the case, or has it now become an official service?

Well it's official in as much as there are support articles about it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Simon_M
Grafter

I guess we'll count that as official then  Cool
By the way, the article finishes with
From now on you'll be able to send email from any network you connect your computer to.

which should really continue 'unless they block connections over port 25 to anywhere other than their own smtp server'. Three mobile is an example - you have to swap & send via their own server. Not too much of a hassle if you use Thunderbird, but a real pain if using multiple accounts with some other email clients.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Do three block the SMTP submission port 587? If not, can Plusnet enable that? Of course, please only do so if you are also providing TLS encryption.
Mathew
Simon_M
Grafter

Not the most helpful reply, I'm afraid, but from memory, when I set up my 'three' account (2 years ago now), they don't block port 587, but Plusnet don't accept connections over it.
Things may have changed, of course ....
Simon_M
Grafter

This post, from someone who would know, reinforces the idea that Plusnet only accept connections over port 25. Posted Jan 2011.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can use telnet to check for responses on any port - relay.plus.net does not respond to port 587.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: MJN
Do three block the SMTP submission port 587? If not, can Plusnet enable that? Of course, please only do so if you are also providing TLS encryption.

We've no immediate plans to open up port 587 or enable TLS encryption I'm afraid Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

daveharris

Quote from: Bob
We've no immediate plans to open up port 587 or enable TLS encryption I'm afraid Sad

That seems like a real shame given that most decent ISPs have been doing this for upwards of 6 years. (I had thought of Plusnet as a decent ISP by the way, and have been with them for as long as I can remember, stayed with them for 4+ house moves and made many referrals)
I have my iPhone on Orange and have never had any problem sending email through plus net using my user & password for authentication. But I now have an iPad on Three, and they block all port 25 smtp servers except their own, and their own is staggeringly unreliable. Even when I get an email sent, it often returns as undeliverable. Drives me mad after being used to using plus.
Plus net, you must have hundreds of customers who have phones or mobiles devices like iPads or tablets on the Three network and since they allow port 587, surely it's time to catch up with the rest and help out your customers at the same time??? Please?Huh
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: daveharris
and their own is staggeringly unreliable.

I have to say that my experience has been better. So long as I can get a signal (without which all possible servers are equally unreliable  :P), I haven't had any problems sending mail.
I agree that it would be nice to be able to send via Plusnet though.
OldCoggers
Grafter

Just to jump in, I've been trying to set up SMTP authentication with Thunderbird v6.0.2 whilst on holiday, but even following the detailed guide from Plusnet have failed to do so. After conversations with Plusnet support, they suggested I try the forum.
The instructions refer to entering an account name & password, but there is no field for entering a  password, just an account field.
I've tried <account name> and also <account name>+<mailbox name> but with nowhere to enter the password,it (not surprisingly) fails.
I seem to be missing something simple, but don't know what.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Old Coggers
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you got connection security set to None and Authentication method set to Password, transmitted insecurely?
If so it should prompt you to enter the password the first time you try to collect mail (and there's a tick box to save the password).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
OldCoggers
Grafter

Yes, I have, but I don't get anything when sending other than this error message:
An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Cannot connect to SMTP server 212.159.9.107 (212.159.9.107:25), connect error 10060.
I don't get prompted for a password when I'm receiving or sending emails. Receiving is fine.
Cheers
Phill