cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To whom are you selling my details?

LKBunny

Re: To whom are you selling my details?

@ spraxyt -  Even if that were the case, the mobile has been 'live' for 20 months where it has been used without ever getting spam. So if you're trying to suggest the mobile network provider may have sold the number, then they've had ample time to do it before now, haven't they? The timing is key here. Besides, if mobile network providers were actively selling numbers, the media would quickly know about it and the network provider would be risking their entire business.
If Plusnet insist they are not selling numbers, then they need to look at the security of their systems, because something is amiss somewhere. 
I hope this thread is being taken seriously by Plusnet. I'm sure the BBC's Watchdog programme would take it seriously, for instance...
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

When it comes to spam texts about accidents, debt management & PPI  this is from the ICO website:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/marketing/texts.aspx
Text messages about accidents, debt management and PPI
We are aware that lots of people are receiving unsolicited text messages (SMS) relating to accident claims, debts or mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance (PPI).
The messages vary in content but will typically say that you are entitled to money because of an accident, debt or mis-sold payment protection insurance. You are then asked to text ‘stop’ or ‘claim’ in response to the text.
Who is sending the messages?
We believe the messages are being sent by lead generation companies – companies that are trying to find people who will respond so they can sell those people’s details to claims or debt management firms. The companies behind these messages are looking to earn money by selling these leads.
Where did they get my details?
In most cases we believe the companies sending the messages don’t hold any information about you – including whether you have actually had an accident, have debts or PPI – before they send you the message. Many of the people who have told us they are receiving these texts have never provided their mobile phone number to any organisations and have not had a recent accident or had any of the problems referred to in the text message.
We believe the companies sending the texts are randomly generating mobile telephone numbers and sending several hundreds, or thousands, of texts in the hope that a proportion may reach the mobile phone of someone who has recently had an accident, or been sold a financial product, and who will then reply.
Are these messages illegal?
The messages appear to breach the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations because they are being sent to individuals without prior consent and without identifying the sender. The messages also appear to breach other legislation and codes of practice.
What should I do?
The law says that any organisation looking to offer this kind of service must identify themselves when they contact you. The companies sending these messages are therefore breaking the law and we would therefore advise that you do not reply to these messages.
How can I stop receiving messages from these organisations?
You can report them to your network operator, who may be able to prevent further spam from the originating number. Unfortunately as the numbers often change, your network provider cannot guarantee to stop all unsolicited messages. You can either contact your network operator’s customer services or use one of the reporting numbers below:
Orange, O2, T-Mobile and Three: Forward the SMS to 7726
Vodafone: Forward the SMS to 87726
What is the ICO doing about this?
We are tackling this problem in three ways:
Working closely with other regulators and industry bodies to try to identify the companies responsible for these messages and put an end to any illegal practices.
Educating and warning the public about the problem to stop people being able to make money from this practice.
Educating organisations about the risks of accepting leads generated through SPAM texts.
Do you need me to complain to the ICO to help with your investigation?
If you have received one of these text messages but have not responded, then we do not need you to complain to us. We have a large amount of evidence to support our investigation and we will provide updates on our website as this progresses.

If you have responded, and have evidence that suggests your details have been passed on to one of these claims companies, please call our Helpline. We would be particularly interested to discuss your case and we will tell you if we need you to send us more details.
Survey on marketing text messages from an unnamed company which you did not ask for
If you have received text messages looking to sell you a service but the company has not provided you with their name, we would be grateful if you could spare a minute to complete a short survey we are conducting.
We already have lots of detailed evidence to support our investigations but would like to know how people may have been affected by spam texts sent by unnamed organisations. What we learn from this survey will be used to inform our broader regulatory activities in this area. No personal data is collected as part of this survey.
Do insurance companies routinely provide their customer details to claims companies?
We are investigating these recent allegations. Disclosing customer details to third party organisations is a serious matter and potentially a criminal offence if it is done by employees without the permission of their employer.
ming
Grafter

I agree with LKbunny and Hairy Biker. None of us ever had this happen before until we joined Plusnet. My mobile has been the same number for many years, my landline for over 20 years. Something is definitely happening at Plusnet and they really need to stop it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just a note to say that we are aware of this thread and aren't ignoring it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
LKBunny

It's almost 48 hours since you posted your note, Chris. Is there going to be a formal reply from Plusnet on the horizon anytime soon?
From where I stand as a customer, the longer Plusnet takes to respond properly, the more suspicious I become.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm not sure why you are getting stroppy about this when it's nothing to do with Plusnet! acr has already posting you official government information about this:
Quote from: acr
When it comes to spam texts about accidents, debt management & PPI  this is from the ICO website:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/marketing/texts.aspx
Text messages about accidents, debt management and PPI
We are aware that lots of people are receiving unsolicited text messages (SMS) relating to accident claims, debts or mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance (PPI).
The messages vary in content but will typically say that you are entitled to money because of an accident, debt or mis-sold payment protection insurance. You are then asked to text ‘stop’ or ‘claim’ in response to the text.
Who is sending the messages?
We believe the messages are being sent by lead generation companies – companies that are trying to find people who will respond so they can sell those people’s details to claims or debt management firms. The companies behind these messages are looking to earn money by selling these leads.
Where did they get my details?
In most cases we believe the companies sending the messages don’t hold any information about you – including whether you have actually had an accident, have debts or PPI – before they send you the message. Many of the people who have told us they are receiving these texts have never provided their mobile phone number to any organisations and have not had a recent accident or had any of the problems referred to in the text message.
We believe the companies sending the texts are randomly generating mobile telephone numbers and sending several hundreds, or thousands, of texts in the hope that a proportion may reach the mobile phone of someone who has recently had an accident, or been sold a financial product, and who will then reply.
Are these messages illegal?
The messages appear to breach the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations because they are being sent to individuals without prior consent and without identifying the sender. The messages also appear to breach other legislation and codes of practice.
What should I do?
The law says that any organisation looking to offer this kind of service must identify themselves when they contact you. The companies sending these messages are therefore breaking the law and we would therefore advise that you do not reply to these messages.
How can I stop receiving messages from these organisations?
You can report them to your network operator, who may be able to prevent further spam from the originating number. Unfortunately as the numbers often change, your network provider cannot guarantee to stop all unsolicited messages. You can either contact your network operator’s customer services or use one of the reporting numbers below:
Orange, O2, T-Mobile and Three: Forward the SMS to 7726
Vodafone: Forward the SMS to 87726
What is the ICO doing about this?
We are tackling this problem in three ways:
Working closely with other regulators and industry bodies to try to identify the companies responsible for these messages and put an end to any illegal practices.
Educating and warning the public about the problem to stop people being able to make money from this practice.
Educating organisations about the risks of accepting leads generated through SPAM texts.
Do you need me to complain to the ICO to help with your investigation?
If you have received one of these text messages but have not responded, then we do not need you to complain to us. We have a large amount of evidence to support our investigation and we will provide updates on our website as this progresses.

If you have responded, and have evidence that suggests your details have been passed on to one of these claims companies, please call our Helpline. We would be particularly interested to discuss your case and we will tell you if we need you to send us more details.
Survey on marketing text messages from an unnamed company which you did not ask for
If you have received text messages looking to sell you a service but the company has not provided you with their name, we would be grateful if you could spare a minute to complete a short survey we are conducting.
We already have lots of detailed evidence to support our investigations but would like to know how people may have been affected by spam texts sent by unnamed organisations. What we learn from this survey will be used to inform our broader regulatory activities in this area. No personal data is collected as part of this survey.
Do insurance companies routinely provide their customer details to claims companies?
We are investigating these recent allegations. Disclosing customer details to third party organisations is a serious matter and potentially a criminal offence if it is done by employees without the permission of their employer.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Looking through the latest replies on this thread it's obvious there is some concern surrounding it. I'd like to assure you that we've checked our systems and are confident this is not related to Plusnet. We perform regular security and penetration tests to make sure our system and data security is to up scratch and have a privacy policy to protect your data. It's also worth noting that we don't sell customer data.
[quote=Privacy Policy]
3. Protecting your privacy ...
2. We will not provide any of your personal information to other companies or individuals without your permission. However, we may need to provide your name and delivery address to third parties that we use for the purposes of delivering specific services to you (e.g. broadband service, or a shipping company if you have asked us to send something to you).
Full privacy policy : http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/privacy.shtml
I have no logical conclusion as to how any spammer got your mobile number. The post earlier in this thread quoting from the ICO site seems to cover it all. Personally I receive the same type of texts to my mobile, as do friends and family who are not associated with Plusnet.
I appreciate that these texts can be annoying and at this point I would suggest that you follow the guidance contained within the ICO advisory.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

From an earlier post of mine ....
Quote from: PlusComUK
Just signed up, brand new number !
Two calls from 02070603887
Anyone else been getting calls from them ?
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02070603887/5#p252696051487619651

I was told it was probably something to do with BT as the "Master" provider of the line, and new user details being passed on.
I also started getting SPAM emails, on a brand new email address I set up for use with Plusnet,  a few days after answering the on-line questionnaire PN keep asking me to complete, with another company, which obviously I don't do anymore, and the SPAM now has stopped.
LKBunny

@ Chris: Thanks for the full reply; I appreciate it. However because you're only "confident" it is not related to Plusnet and not, say, absolutely certain, I have removed my mobile number from Plusnet's records. I should also add that I've had several PAYG mobiles over the years and never received a single spam text to any of them because they were always limited access to the same 3 immediate family members. The only difference is this time I gave the number out to Plusnet. Lesson learned there; that won't ever happen again.
@ Jelv: I don't appreciate your tone. I made it quite clear I was waiting on Plusnet's response. ACR is not Plusnet staff, nor are you,  so stating (as fact) that it's nothing to do with Plusnet is quite wrong. Reposting the ICO info again is a waste of time, energy and bandwidth.
@ PlusComUK : I'm referring to spam on a mobile, so BT aren't the "master" there. As for spam on a new Plusnet email address, I also got that in the first few days only. I don't recall ever being asked to complete a questionnaire. Mostly likely the email spam ceased because Plusnet's spam filters had kicked in properly. Email spam is rife and not something I worry about. I do however worry when personal phone numbers are spammed, especially ones that have never been spammed before.
Again, thank you Chris/Plusnet for the response. I will carry on my own investigation.
IanSn
Rising Star

@PlusComUK - now there's a funny thing.  I also had a string of calls on the mobile from the 0207 African numbers (actually coinciding with my PN signup... which is likely to be a coincidence as plenty of other non-PN folks were getting them around the same time). I remember looking up the code on the net to figure out where they were coming from.
But, yep, me too. Never answered the calls, it stopped after while.
I appreciate that PN are actually acknowledging the issue and answering these queries. Its a rare thing these days...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

0207 is London phone code
Anonymous
Not applicable

From an earlier post of mine ....
Just signed up, brand new number !
Two calls from 02070603887
Anyone else been getting calls from them ?
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02070603887/5#p252696051487619651

I was told it was probably something to do with BT as the "Master" provider of the line, and new user details being passed on.
I also started getting SPAM emails, on a brand new email address I set up for use with Plusnet,  a few days after answering the on-line questionnaire PN keep asking me to complete, with another company, which obviously I don't do anymore, and the SPAM now has stopped.

Quote from: LKBunny

@ PlusComUK : I'm referring to spam on a mobile, so BT aren't the "master" there. As for spam on a new Plusnet email address, I also got that in the first few days only. I don't recall ever being asked to complete a questionnaire. Mostly likely the email spam ceased because Plusnet's spam filters had kicked in properly. Email spam is rife and not something I worry about. I do however worry when personal phone numbers are spammed, especially ones that have never been spammed before.

My post wasn't referring to you, but to the original OP who had a new PN landline, and other earlier posts I had not read before !
However, your new post (On my RSS feed) did prompt me to read the thread from the beginning.
The questionnaire is one that PN link to, after answering a Help Assistant Question,
my first port of call when I have a PN Account specific or Technical query.
Such as when will my new landline be ready for use, and what is it's number.
The questionnaire request link followed.
I reported both the silent calls and spam emails to PN within a few days of my new a/c June 2011.

Quote from: Chrism2
- I set up a new line and bb connection through PlusNet two months ago.
- Today I recieved a phone call from 01612127860  purporting to be from the "Telecom Advisors Group".
- I am familiar with the tactics of call-call centres which have scripts that include "regulation" "ofcom" etc.
- He claimed to be phoning on behalf of BT. Somewhere along the line he'd got the idea that the billing was with BT. So on he prattled. As he did, I googled them.
- He ended the call quite abruptly when I explained his figures were irrelevant, the customer was with PlusNet.
- They phoned MY number and asked for my CUSTOMER by name. They can ONLY have got this combination from PlusNet
- So... do PlusNet realise who they are giving these details to; why are they doing it and just who the hell are these pirates.
Let's have at it, then. I'm not particularly happy about this chain of events....
IanSn
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre

oops, yes, it was 20  Roll_eyes
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To people suggesting that Plusnet leaked the numbers, can you confirm that you have contacted the mobile numbers a few on either side of your own number to confirm whether or not they also received the same message? If you haven't you have not ruled out a simple send of the message to every number in a range!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: IanSn
Quote from: pierre_pierre

oops, yes, it was 20  Roll_eyes

and that one is Egypt