cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet box keeps crashing every 5 minutes

paqize
Grafter

plusnet box keeps crashing every 5 minutes

The box crashes/restarts often. It begun soon after i upgraded to plusnet extra, so i updated the firmware and it stopped crashing for a week or so and now it is crashing many times and i cannot stand this kind of service.
Here are the System Information  
Product Name: TG585 v7
Software Release: 8.2.6.5

21 REPLIES 21
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: plusnet box keeps crashing every 5 minutes

Changing product should have no affect on router behaviour though if that was accompanied by a change from 20CN (maxADSL) to 21CN (ADSL2+) the latter change might have caused problems.
Do you have an alternative router you could try?
David
gyre
Grafter

Depending on what type of crash you are getting... I found that my plusnet-supplied 585v7 used to crash when using a combination of wireless clients and upnp.
Switch off either, made it far more stable.
Alternatively, it might just be overheating... try standing it on an edge.
-- gyre --
paqize
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Changing product should have no affect on router behaviour though if that was accompanied by a change from 20CN (maxADSL) to 21CN (ADSL2+) the latter change might have caused problems.
Do you have an alternative router you could try?

No problem with modem, it all started when my download limit increased to 60 gb so i won't download what i paid for.
The download speed is getting slow as well now. About 0.5mb atm, usual is 5.5mb. When something goes wrong plusnet loves blaming your internal wires.
And to the second reply, i don't use wireless so i have disabled it. The crash i'm getting is the one that makes all green lights go off (apart from the power one) and then slowly coming back on again. So if i'm downloading something BIG and i cannot use a dlmanager for it, i am basically done for.
paqize
Grafter

anybody knows why my speed is very low during the evening.
paqize
Grafter

The crashes have stopped for now but the speed issue is still active and getting speeds of:

Evenings is worst times. I should be getting up to 6mb.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI paqize,
I'll run some tests and see what I can find out for you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paqize,
there have been lots of disconnections on your line, which you will see from the graph below. I have dispatched a new router in case this was the cause of the problem. The many drops in  your connection have caused the line to receive a banded profile with means that your connection rate will not go above 3072k which it's currently at. If the new router solves the issue and the line holds a good connection then the banding can be lifted. I would also suggest leaving the router on 24/7
#
Jojo Smiley
paqize
Grafter

Very nice, hope a new router does the trick. Thanks for now.
paqize
Grafter

Got the new router and it has been on for more than 24 hours in total and still the speed is about 2.5mb. Anything else i must do? I hope plus net does fix this asap because i am not going to pay for this kind of service. If the cause is internal wires then there's no way that's my fault.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The BT systems hold your line speed to your IP Profile until they see that the line has remained stable at a better speed for a significant period - this can take up to 5 days.
At this stage you need to be looking to see if the sync speed reported by the router has improved and also to see how long the connection stays connected without any drops. Jojo will probably be looking at the graph tomorrow to see if things are looking more stable. If it does look stable there are things she can do to accelerate the process and get you the higher speeds.
BTW Your previous graph was about as bad as it gets!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paqize,
It's still no better. Are you in the test socket?

Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@paqize
Since JoJo posted on Monday the graph JoJo has just posted shows at least 6 deliberate actions on your part to ensure that you keep your current poor speeds.
Quote from: Joanne
I would also suggest leaving the router on 24/7

Do as she suggested and do not do any reboots, every time you disconnect or reboot the router the BT systems may interpret this as instability with the result that your speeds never improve.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paqize
Grafter

Hi paqize,
It's still no better. Are you in the test socket?

Jojo Smiley

The property has no test socket, i have checked and found 2 sockets which none contains a test socket within and the wires inside were a mess and all over the place when i checked inside for the test socket. Maybe bt should upgrade my socket because it's in mess and very old.
paqize
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
@paqize
Since JoJo posted on Monday the graph JoJo has just posted shows at least 6 deliberate actions on your part to ensure that you keep your current poor speeds.
I would also suggest leaving the router on 24/7

Do as she suggested and do not do any reboots, every time you disconnect or reboot the router the BT systems may interpret this as instability with the result that your speeds never improve.

I cannot leave it on while everyone is asleep, doesn't feel safe.