Do I like Squirrel Mail?

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Do I like Squirrel Mail?

Quote from: Nick
How about ATMAIL?
http://atmail.com/webmail-client.php

We used to run ATMAIL but the code at the time was a complete nightmare to look after.  Willing to bet it has improved since then though
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Martha
Grafter

Quote from: dratdestroyer
I prefer Squirrelmail.
PS I am not a troll.

No troll agreed, I like Squirrelmail, I use 1&1's webmail for my family domain email and I must admit I have not sampled many webmail's other than the generic leading ones (Hotmail, Gmail, etc)
I have to admit Squirellmail may not be the *Best* but; It's plain and simple, I kind of like the simplicity and I don't have that many errors with it myself, though I have all trust in the team who are working into it, i'm sure they'll make the right choice!
And have you seen, you can make it PINK?  Roll_eyes What more could a girl want Tongue  Grin
Not applicable

And have you seen, you can make it PINK?

Yes, and I've got mine in a fetching shade of lavender.  Simple, yes - I agree and I too could manage with SM if worked properly.
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Martha

I have to admit Squirellmail may not be the *Best* but; It's plain and simple, I kind of like the simplicity and I don't have that many errors with it myself, though I have all trust in the team who are working into it, i'm sure they'll make the right choice!

Martha, have you looked at either the Horde or the Mailzone.  Both are very simple and flexible to use as compared with the SM.  Having used both Horde and Mailzone I find SM bit primitive and complecated to use.  Please have a look at them to replace the SM.
Many regards.
Martha
Grafter

Martha, have you looked at either the Horde or the Mailzone.

As I said, I admit i've not used any other than mainstream! Though, I'll have a look!
talpa
Grafter

Fundamentally I don't have any objection to Squirrelmail - I have a copy running myself elsewhere for non-PlusNet email. It does everything I need it to, and is generally fairly stable - it's just the PlusNet deployment of it that seems to have issues.
I don't have any stats on how many people access Webmail - but I'd bet it's a reasonable number, and I'm willing to concede that running a copy for a single user vs "lots" is a different ball-game, and therefore the issues may well just be the scalability of the software. However, that means the issue isn't really "Which of the email apps out there do people like", but "Which of the email apps out there will scale appropriately". After all - putting in a pretty looking app isn't going to help at all if it still has the performance issues that SM is having.
On a related note - most of the SM issues seem* to be down to dropped or slow IMAP connections - so my guess is that SM isn't necessarily the problem - it's potentially an IMAP server issues and/or comms between the app and the email servers
(* I'm always wary of people trying to diagnose root-causes from the resulting symptoms - but hey - it's just my 2p!)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Adam, My feedback
Squirrel Mail may be slow these days, but I think that it is because of PlusNet's mail servers, like a number of you I get the dredid time out's & IMAP Errors day in and day out!
But for a Dyslexic Squirrel Mail beets roundcube hands down, the reason why I say that is bekos I can not use my Text Reader on roundcube.
Plus I like Squirrel Mail because, it does not run flash, Java or other bandwidth hogs.  Just what you need when you are on a slow connection wen the mail servers are running properly.
chandu
Rising Star

@ Adam
I know you're a very busy man.  Wink 
Any news on how you got on with finding an alternatives to SM?
Force9Original
Grafter

+1 on Yahoo
The new Yahoo beta email is one of the fastest & easist ones i'v ever used.
http://features.mail.yahoo.com/
If its goodenough for the parent company  Shocked Wink
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Yahoo mail stinks.
chandu
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
That's why I'm going to be making more noise about this issue at Plusnet this week Smiley

So, what's the outcome of making more noises then?  Take it from me, SM is VERY,VERY Painful to use, particularly when you're away from home & using someone else's machine to check your mail.
Many regards.
tonycollinet
Grafter

I'll join in with a "how on earth are we still on SM, when even plusnet have said for years that it will change"
And add - that if there is any chance of being on a trial for an alternative - count me in.
Thanks.
PS - update appreciated.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Still awaiting an update....come on Plusnet!
wedge

squirrelmail is very simple, no bells and whistles, but so what - that would be okay if it actually worked!! In my experience it just constantly errors with dropped IMAP connections or failed commands with odd names like "EXPUNGE". Make it robust and I'd have no problems with it at all, but with the unreliability at a totally unacceptable level at the moment is is practically unusable - come on plusnet, stop burying your head in the sand and get some good honest Yorkshire reliability built into this system!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Squirrel Mail would worke if PlusNet updated the email Servers with the latest Stable version of Squirrel Mail what is Version: 1.4.21, plus update SquirrelMail IMAP Proxy Stable Version: 1.2.7, and updated the Extra Decoding Library Stable Version: 1.2
The email Servers are running a out of date version of Squirrel Mail.
@Bob can you get the email Servers updated with the latest Stable Version of Squirrel Mail, plus SquirrelMail IMAP Proxy, and the Extra Decoding Library for iPhones?