cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why has my speed suddenly dropped

gerryhall
Grafter

why has my speed suddenly dropped

why has my speed suddenly dropped since sat i was  gettin just under 7 when on value but on new years day i swapped to pro an now im gettin speeds of  around 2300 and it seems to be gettin slower every day
37 REPLIES 37
chesterfield
Grafter

Re: why has my speed suddenly dropped

A few people have changed items on their products recently and it seems that this (at least in my case and some others) has caused either a resetting of the PN IP profile, or the BT ip profile - or both.  What are your line stats and what does a bt speedtest say (copy and paste).
Im guessing you are just waiting for the ip profiles to be updated is my guess.  Like me.  2 days now waiting for the 2000 to be upped to the 5500/6000.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gerryhall,
You line has been banded and will not be able to sync above 2272k at the moment. This is because of all the disconnections you are having...

These disconnections (apart from the odd few) are all exactly 30 minutes apart so it seems you probably have an idle timeout set in your router. Once you change this let me know and I'll get the banding removed.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI chesterfield,
Looks like your profile is back up to 6000 now.
Jojo Smiley
gerryhall
Grafter

thank you jojo but my speed is still very low [url=http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk][img]http://www.mybr am still only gettin just below 2mb download speed
gerryhall
Grafter

have just reset idle time on modem it was set to 1800 have now just set it to its max of 86400 hopefully now should cut out the disconnections and maybe i may start getting back the speeds i had before
gerryhall
Grafter

these are my line stats DSL synchronization status Up 
DSL up time 17:15:26 

Line Status  Help

Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 446
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 2272
Line standard ADSL2+ 
Channel type  Interleaved 
Upstream SNR (dB)  25.5 
Downstream SNR (dB)  34.6 
Upstream interleave depth 8 
Downstream interleave depth 64 
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 7 
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 12 
Upstream output power (dBmV) 11.5 
Downstream output power (dBmV) 18.5 
Upstream CRC  0 
Downstream CRC  0 
Upstream FEC  0 
Downstream FEC  157 

hope they may be of use to help get my speed back up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are still banded  Sad
The usual technique is to make the idle time out zero which disables it
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gerryhall,
86400 is still only 24 hours. The best thing to do is to set it to 0 which will keep it in the 'always on' state.(beat to it by Jim) I'll request for the banding to be removed now and get back to you once it's done.
Jojo Smiley
gerryhall
Grafter

thank you jojo and jim just ben and reset idle time but the lowest number i could set it to was 10 secs or it says invalid setting hope this was the right thing to do
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

very strange that you can't set it to 0. Definitely don't set it to 10 though. What router is it?
gerryhall
Grafter

its a hauwei echolife hg532  just put it back to 86400 again as the range for settings is 10-86400  when it was on 10 it just kept freezing
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI gerryhall,
Don't have any experience of that router but I suppose if you go on it everyday it won't time out on that setting anyway. Still waiting to get the banding removed, currently on a call with our suppliers about it now.
Jojo Smiley
gerryhall
Grafter

thank you jojo the router was one that i bought when i was on talk talk and i think its exclusive to them but as its an n router thats why i bought it it desnt normaly give me any probs as i have an asdl2 line now im on pro does that mean i will be gettin higher speeds im across the road from the exchange and bt said i cud expect speeds of 15mb as im so close but the best i had before while on value was just under 7mb
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI gerryhall,
Ok, banding removed, you should see speeds up to 12000 in the next 15 minutes. If it doesn't update then just reboot your router via its interface. Also, as far as routers go, I had a Netgear router which would sync at about 17600 and plugged in a Thomson and got 20000, so sometimes routers can make an enormous difference to your sync rate.
Jojo Smiley