Friday 18th April 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1] 2

Squirrel Mail is so slow

« on 14/10/2010, 12:47 »
I know this has cropped up before, but why is Squirrel Mail so painfully slow?  All my emails are downloaded by Outlook Express so I use Squirrel Mail only to delete the original messages (usually less than 100) which always takes ages.

I've also got an email address with Yahoo, which is lightning fast by comparison - and they must have a lot more email accounts than PN.

Come on PN - put a bomb under the squirrel!!    Angry
  • MrT
  • View Profile
« Reply #1 on 14/10/2010, 15:58 »
Why not delete them from the Server as you dowload them?

I think the following will let you do this:

1. Open Outlook Express. Click the Tools menu and choose Accounts.
2. Click the Mail tab. Highlight your mail account and click the Properties button.
3. Click the Advanced tab. Uncheck Leave a copy of messages on server.
Apply the change and that's it. Cool
« Reply #2 on 15/10/2010, 12:59 »
I used to do that, but then found it was useful to keep a copy on the server in case I completely deleted something from Outlook Express.  I recently changed the settings to keep messages for 60 days, but even then they mount up.  I'll probably now change it to 30 days, so I don't have to use Squirrel at all.

However, it's still a concern.  When other areas of PN are so good, particularly in dealing with queries and problems (as I've always found) it's a pity their webmail service is so poor.  It looks and works like something from the old dial-up days!   Sad
« Reply #3 on 15/10/2010, 14:56 »
I Have to agree, squirrelmail is the slowest thing I have ever used.
For most people it will not be a problem as there are numerous other e-mail programs out there but Plusnet do need to address this problem. It's not just the slow speed but error messages to say the connection was dropped by the IMAP Server, poor filtering, non deletion of spam etc.
If it can't be improved on it would be better to remove it and not offer the service as it does the reputation of Plusnet no good in having such a poor program !
The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal, always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest, the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind & body.
« Reply #4 on 17/10/2010, 11:19 »
Hear, hear!  Does everyone have this problem with Squirrel Mail?  It'd be interesting to know what PN has to say, like can they, and will they, improve it?  Huh?
  • poppy
« Reply #5 on 17/10/2010, 11:43 »
I have no evidence to prove that this is correct but some months ago I had a blitz on SM and deleted loads of emails that I had stored.
Alright, it is not as fast as GMail or Zoho but it is noticeably better.
Might be worth re-routing via one of the above.  Your emails would be fetched from SM and set to delete from server.  That way you could store as much as you want and keep Squirrel empty.
I am not sure that SM is a good storage facility.
« Reply #6 on 18/10/2010, 08:21 »
Hear, hear!  Does everyone have this problem with Squirrel Mail?  It'd be interesting to know what PN has to say, like can they, and will they, improve it?  Huh?
I have been complaining to Plusnet for well over 2 years about Squirrel (which I re-named Snail)
It is agonisingly slow.
The trouble with changing to another mail service is that you have to keep coming back to SM to see if your contacts know that you have left and gone to a new service!
I seem to remember that there was a second trial of another service by Plusnet, was it roundcube?, which was much faster...but it went the same way as SM and became unusable....
always  switch on  brain before opening  mouth !
  • poppy
« Reply #7 on 18/10/2010, 13:20 »
RoundCube is still available (AFAIK) to those who ask.  I have use of it but don't find it a deal better than Squirrel. 
I do agree about SM being slow.
As for using another webmail if you set up GMail, Zoho mail or the like to collect messages from Plusnet you can select the option not to leave messages on the server then you would not need to use SM at all.  You an also configure them to send out messages with your Plusnet email address.
Sounds a bit complicated but is OK once set up.  Also both of these have (SSL) POP3 so you can download messages to your own email client.
« Reply #8 on 18/10/2010, 16:19 »
Must admit I only use the  plusnet e-mail for non important stuff such as those sites that insist on registration before access to their site so it would not matter if I did not check what was in that box for months.
Apart from that I can't see any other use for it.  Gmail provides everything I want and it's fast and kept up to date.
Plusnet are simply wasting their money (or our money) providing an e-mail service this poor.
The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal, always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest, the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind & body.
  • poppy
« Reply #9 on 18/10/2010, 17:09 »
Totally agree!  However, would love to know why the Squirrelmail that I use with my website (a forum) is OK. 
Definitely much quicker than the PN version.
Can anyone explain why?
« Reply #10 on 18/10/2010, 18:51 »
squirrel mail is fine for me. 
A satisfied plusnet customer since May 2005
Using PCLinuxOS - the radically simple distro-hopper-stopper
« Reply #11 on 18/10/2010, 19:12 »
I like poppy's suggestion of re-routing the PN mail via another webmail server.  I'll have to try it with Yahoo.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Squirrel dire.  When I've selected a lot of emails to delete it often completely freezes up and sometimes has timed out or crashed altogether.  Sad
« Reply #12 on 18/10/2010, 19:58 »
@poppy and maestroman
yes I already have googlemail and have decided to go there now for ALL my mail
BTW, it is now called gmail in UK
always  switch on  brain before opening  mouth !
  • poppy
« Reply #13 on 18/10/2010, 20:15 »
Have had a Gmail addy for some time but don't use it very much as I dislike the Conversation  View.  Reading this thread has just prompted me to do another search to see if a turn off function has been added (I have done numerous searches with no satisfactory result).
Anyway, at last it has been added so for those of you who have a Gmail address and dislike the threaded messages, here is the link which will tell you how to turn it off:
http://www.dkszone.net/tu...n-gmail-conversation-view

PS The button setting only shows up in standard view, not basic.

« Last Edit: 18/10/2010, 20:17 by poppy »

« Reply #14 on 09/11/2010, 10:03 »
Have used SM  before when I worked in academia. Haven't noticed SM being too slow, but am being bugged by a message which has recently appeared after returning to a draft, completing it and sending :-

Plusnet Logo
ERROR
You must be logged in to access this page.
Go to the login page

On following the instructions and then checking the Sent folder, the message has been sent
« Reply #15 on 15/11/2010, 20:11 »
I can confirm that the Plusnet squirrelmail is INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLY slow and has frustrated me for months!
This is one of the absolutely awful aspects of Plusnet service and when I enquired they simply refused to acknowledge there was any problem and told me to delete some emails.

Deleting emails has made no difference and I do not see why loading an index page of 20 emails has to take 1 minute or more on a 8 meg connection.

This aspect of the service really irritates me together with several other things which supports my impression that Plusnet has deteriorated and inherited the unfortunate BT philosophy of not really caring about their customers and sometimes being devious in its marketing etc, ever since Plusnet got taken over by BT. All download speeds have also deteriorated since takeover in my experience.

I am a longstanding but increasingly disillusioned customer.

Pages: [1] 2
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE