Saturday 1st November 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

IPad and Email Setup

« on 06/09/2010, 10:14 »
Morning all, just a quick question someone might know the answer to, Iím having problems linking my Ipad to my plusnet email account I have setup my email on many laptops and smart phones many times before but for some reason just getting no joy on my ipad.

When setting up I get the option to use imap or pop and use the following

Trying with imap:
Incoming: imap.plus.net
Username: account+mailbox
Password ******

Outgoing: relay.plus.net
Username: account
Password: *****

When using these settings the ipad goes to verifying and comes back with an error asking to retry without using SSL, I click yes and it tries again at this point it just hangs for a good 5 Ė 10 minutes and times out.

Using POP:
Incoming: mail.plus.net
Username: account+mailbox
Password: *****

Outgoing: relay.plus.net
Username: account
Password: ******

Again it tries verifying the account comes back with retry using SSL and again when trying this it hangs for a good amount of time and times out, canít see any real error messages that give me much to go on, certainly account, mailbox and passwords are ok as I have been through this process many times over the years I have been with plusnet.
Anyone else with an ipad have similar issues? or anyone know where I could be going wrong, the Ipad is actually the first apple product I have owned so I could well be doing something wrong.

Thanks

« Reply #1 on 06/09/2010, 12:35 »
I haven't got an iPad ( or iPhone ) but there is setup guide for the iPhone here http://community.plus.net...usnet-email-on-an-iphone/ and I would guess its similar to the iPad.
Hope that helps.
« Reply #2 on 07/09/2010, 10:44 »
MRussell - I am having exactly the same problems.  Can received email OK (using POP), but unable to send.  Returns the following error message:

"Cannot Send Mail - The conntection to the outgoing server "replay.plus.net" failed.  Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured in Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars".

Similarly, I have successfully configured notebooks and iphones in the past.   Have double checked username / password / server details - but still not joy.

Have 'even' resorted to trying restarting the ipad couple of time to see if that made any difference - but alas no.

So similarly, any assistance greatly received.

MB
  • Strat
  • Forum Moderator
  • View Profile
« Reply #3 on 07/09/2010, 10:51 »
outgoing server "replay.plus.net" failed. 

Welcome to the forum MBBude.

Is the 'replay' in the quote above a typo?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
« Reply #4 on 07/09/2010, 11:46 »
Strat - yes, typo.  Should read  "relay.plus.net", not "replay.plus.net".

MB
« Reply #5 on 07/09/2010, 16:37 »
I'll see if I can test this tonight.
Posts made before June 14th 2014 were from staff viewpoint, now I'm a customer Smiley
« Reply #6 on 07/09/2010, 22:43 »
Tested fine on both IMAP and POP. Got time outs on SSL as expected but it then set up fine after a couple of minutes.
Posts made before June 14th 2014 were from staff viewpoint, now I'm a customer Smiley
« Reply #7 on 20/08/2011, 11:26 »
Stating what someone said before, but slightly differently:

The problem we found is that to set up POP you enter on the iPad
User: account+name
password: for the email account for that specific name
to set up SMTP
User: account
password: for the whole account

This is different from setting up PCs and not logical, but it works.
« Reply #8 on 20/08/2011, 12:00 »
Different in which way? Servers, account names and passwords are the same no matter if a PC, touch or an ipad is used.
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE