Re: FTTC Thomson TG585vn router for testing

i take it i missed out on the new router 🙂
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

bluewhale - doesn't sound like you're missing much
John - WPS is probably switched on, might be worth doing a factory reset, switch it on and hold the pin in for 7 seconds at the back. If it loses the FTTC config I'll send you the firmware over to reflash.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bluewhale
Rising Star

well except i'm getting 30mb on the pc on the LAN and only 13mb on the WLAN on my laptop
so seems like somehting isn't working ok
will do some more investigation over the weekend
bluewhale
Rising Star

ok confirmed even with my laptop right next to te router still only gets 13mb when connecting via wireless, but when i connect via LAN port gets 30mb
is this normal for a g type?
going to try and config my netgear as a bridge onto it later see how that does
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If there's lots of wireless networks around you then yeah that's what we've seen from others too and why we're switching to a wireless N router as soon as possible as soon as the testing is all done and paperwork signed.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
hulls
Grafter

Hi bluewhale - That's the sort of thing I was getting on my g router: via network cable was 30Mb +, wireless was around 13 and homeplug 9.  I'm told that a lot of it is due to the wireless overheads.
Dave - I'll try a factory reset, and get back to you.
John
hulls
Grafter

OK  Smiley  Factory reset, and I'm now on line with the N router!  For the first time, all the lights seem to be on (power, ethernet, wireless,broadband and internet)  Smiley
John
hulls
Grafter

Update - I've tried a couple of speed tests, which were a bit disappointing - 4Mb down and 2 up (half the g router speed)
Then it stopped responding.  Following a restart of the router (I didn't touch the modem) I'm back on.
Is it possible that all the messing around - turning routers and modems on and off etc - has affected the profile?
John
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Profile shows as normal and sync speed shows as the max (sadly I get no line stats):
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 39.999 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.999001 Mbps
So don't think it's affected the speed by switching routers and rebooting. Let's see if the_norris gets chance to try his router out, they're both exactly the same, we flashed them with the same firmware then go back to Thomson on Monday and see what they say.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
hulls
Grafter

The connection seems to drop after a bit of use, and I have to turn the router off and on again to get connected.  The first symptom is that I can't get into the router page, and a couple of minutes later, I lose the internet entirely.
bluewhale
Rising Star

hmm. not convinced by the overheads argument
thats an awful drop and was same right next to the router
i haven't tried with no security on though
so how is the n version then faster?
hulls
Grafter

No - worse (see the above notes)
I'm hoping the speed will pick up as it settles in - and hopefully it will stop dropping the connection as well  Embarrassed
John
hulls
Grafter

OK - I'm back on the 585v7 for now.  The n router was just too unpredictable. It dropped connection for no obvious reason that I could see (although the lights were still steady) and after 3 or 4 attempts to reboot, including a reset, it still wouldn't connect.  Clearly something still isn't quite right.  I backed up the router's bin file, while it was up and running, so at least I've got something to fall back on (assuming I can get to the router settings and re-install it).  I'll try again tomorrow and see if it connects for longer (unless Dave or someone comes up with something else)
When it does work, it seems to work well.  Although speeds seemed slow for an N router (could that have been because my desk top was operating in g?)
Let me know if I can try anything else
John
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: bluewhale
hmm. not convinced by the overheads argument

802.11G has a raw bit rate of 54mbps, however there's a lot of overheads - in fact the figure you're seeing is actually pretty good and near the top of what's theoretically possible for a mixed mode 802.11b/g TCP data connection. See http://www.atheros.com/whitepapers/atheros_range_whitepaper.pdf for the theory behind this.
bluewhale
Rising Star

i'm not using mixed mode, have set to just g?