cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Google Chrome eating way more bandwidth?

max99
Grafter

Is Google Chrome eating way more bandwidth?

I've been a plusnet Pro customer for a while now and never have problems staying within my 20G limit each month.  Until recently i've surfed with Safari for general internet, watched a bit of iplayer and gamed on the 360.  On average I hit 13-13G per month.
Over the past few weeks, however, ive noticed my bandwidth usage soaring even though my internet habits have not changed.  Assuming this has nothing to do with Plusnet the only explanation I have is Google chrome which I installed last month.
Granted, it's a much faster browser but is it somehow using more bandwidth to accomplish its speed?
17 REPLIES 17
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Is Google Chrome eating way more bandwidth?

A talkative computer virus might eat into your bandwidth.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ReedRichards,
There is a bandwidth monitor available here:  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3768-thinkbroadband-launches-bandwidth-meter.html
It may help you identify when it's happening and what programs seem to be taking it up by the process of elimination.
Jojo Smiley
max99
Grafter

it's definately google chrome....i did some analysis and after 1 hour surfing it cached over 100MB of data!!  on safari or firefox i average about 30MB per hour.
be wary of this browser folks, especially if you're on capped bandwidth.  i've switched back to safari meanwhile.
Azagoth
Grafter

I use both Chrome and Firefox and, bandwidth wise, there's no difference at all between the two.  I'd have to say that there's something else at play on your PC if you're noticing a drastic increase in your used bandwidth.
clairesdog
Grafter

How odd - I've just posted a topic on the accounts/billing board about a query with my broadband usage. I changed package from 5GB a month to 10GB a month thinking there was no way I'd ever hit that usage, and guess what,  I have...it's very odd. I have not changed my internet habits etc, I've virus scanned, malware scanned, double checked my WPA" security settings and I am still none the wiser.
Both myself and my OH's laptop use google chrome.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Joanne
Hi ReedRichards,
There is a bandwidth monitor available here:  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3768-thinkbroadband-launches-bandwidth-meter.html
It may help you identify when it's happening and what programs seem to be taking it up by the process of elimination.
Jojo Smiley

I strongly recommend using the software suggested some time back by Bob Pullen: NetWorX. It's far more mature product that works very well.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
max99
Grafter

Quote from: Azagoth
I use both Chrome and Firefox and, bandwidth wise, there's no difference at all between the two.   I'd have to say that there's something else at play on your PC if you're noticing a drastic increase in your used bandwidth.

there is a difference.  chrome will send data as soon as you type into the search bar...something safari does not do.  ive found a few people complaining about this elsewhere.  my own usage speaks for itself...since switching back to safari this evening my usage is as they should be.
accessing one site will not reveal the difference, seems to be chrome eats bandwidth during prolonged session searching the web. 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: max99
accessing one site will not reveal the difference, seems to be chrome eats bandwidth during prolonged session searching the web. 

Very  interesting, and if there's truth in it then it certainly wasn't something I was aware of until now (not that I'm doubting your observations of course!).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

A bit back there was a Firefox add-on called Fasterfox which significantly speeded up browsing by pre-fetching all the linked pages; this caused a significant increase in bandwidth and a number of sites started blocking visitors using the add-on as the increased traffic was killing their servers.
I wonder if OperaGoogle Chrome have done something similarly stupid?
Edit: Correct brain fade! Sad
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There is a way to turn the pre-fetching in Chrome off, have a look at this link for info.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's only DNS pre-fetching and I can't see that accounting for a huge increase on bandwidth (Fasterfox prefetched the entire content of all the links).
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I wonder if Opera have done something similarly stupid?

Um, do you mean Google? Opera doesn't share anything with Chrome/Webkit. Or have you seen Opera showing similar symptoms?
Link prefetching is (I think!) part of HTML5, support for which is gradually being added to various browsers so we may find this behaviour appearing elsewhere at some point. Hopefully there'll be options to turn it off Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: max99
there is a difference.  chrome will send data as soon as you type into the search bar...something safari does not do.  ive found a few people complaining about this elsewhere.  my own usage speaks for itself...since switching back to safari this evening my usage is as they should be.

There is an option to turn the use of the suggestion service off.
MrC: You were a long time correcting that post! See my edit made about 8 minutes before you posted.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
MrC: You were a long time correcting that post! See my edit made about 8 minutes before you posted.

Sorry, cup of coffee intervened between 'preview' and 'post' Smiley