cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet package restrictions if you go over limit.

Zap
Grafter

Plusnet package restrictions if you go over limit.

I was reading on another forum about restrictions Plusnet place on you if you go over your data usage as follows:
A. That if you go over your limit you are totally cut off from the Internet and your only option is to pay or else be cut off until you are next billed.
B. That the minimum top-up is now £5 for 5gb.
I gather that there are some exceptions to this on Legacy products, can someone clarify the following:
1. Which Plusnet products do the above apply to?
2. Which Legacy products are not affected by A above?
3. Are any Legacy products are not affected by B above?
4. Does Plusnet Extra cut you off if you go over your allowance?
5. How does the Extra package traffic shaping differ from Pro and Premium (Not shown on http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm)
Thanks in advance
11 REPLIES 11
Mand
Grafter

Re: Plusnet package restrictions if you go over limit.

Hi there,
If you go over your usage and have not set a limit additional usage will be added in 5GB blocks (£5 per block).
If you have set a limit you will be restricted to 128k (no-one is completely cut off).
1) This applies to all new products (Premium, Pro, Value, Extra).
2) Any products not listed in 1).
3) No.
4) No, see above.
5) Extra and Premium are the same.
Zap
Grafter

Thanks Mand
Has that changed then, because I saw some links to old posts where it seemed that on BBYW you had the 128k limit but on premium and pro you were cut off, the links were talking about the confusion of the emails sent by Plusnet saying you would be cut off completely when some users said they were not, they then said it depended on the product. 
I am confused by your answer to question 3 where you say there are no alternatives to paying £5 for 5gb, at the following link
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_broadband_faq.shtml
it says
"8. What happens if I go over my monthly usage allowance?
For the majority of customers an extra 5GB will be added to your allowance for the month. This costs £5 which will be added to your next bill. (Customers on some older products will be charged £2 per 2GB block)."

What are the older products it is referring to?
Also at http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/how-to-manage-your-additional-usage/
it says

"Broadband Family
If you're on a current product (Value, Premium or Pro) you'll have a usage allowance. If you exceed this allowance additional usage will be added in 5GB blocks and you'll be charged an extra £5 per block, until your billing date arrives and your usage is reset.
To control your spending you would need to use Manage My Usage (see below).
Broadband Your Way
If you're on a Broadband Your Way (BBYW) product you have a few more options:
Fixed usage - This allows you to pay for a fixed amount of usage each month (either your usual usage allowance or a pre-set amount in increments of 1GB). If you reach this amount no extra charges will be added but you will be restricted to 128k for the remainder of your billing month.
Flex usage - If you choose flex and use more than your included usage amount extra usage would be added, in 1GB blocks at £1.25 per GB on option 1, £1 per GB for options 2-4, and £1.80 per 2GB block on Pro."

If legacy products like BBYW can still buy using Flex, does that also mean they can pre-pay at £1 per GB as before in 1gb increments,

If Premium and Extra are the same why the name change?  Is Premium no longer available and do they differ in any way at all?
Thanks Again
matt_2k34
Grafter

Looks like you've found a page thats been missed in the update process - (i may be wrong, but AFAIK - all products its £5 for 5GB now)
Premium and extra are Not the same.
While their shaping pattern is similar/the same (see Here
Extra has 20G less peak time usage than Premium, however its a few quid cheaper.
the links were talking about the confusion of the emails sent by Plusnet saying you would be cut off completely when some users said they were not, they then said it depended on the product.

AFAIK, PN has never cut *anyone* off for going over their usage allowance. What does happen however is that your browsing speed gets cut to 128K (and protocols such as P2P, Usenet, get blocked totally)
Smiley
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Looks like you've found a page thats been missed in the update process - (i may be wrong, but AFAIK - all products its £5 for 5GB now)
Premium and extra are Not the same.
While their shaping pattern is similar/the same (see Here
Extra has 20G less peak time usage than Premium, however its a few quid cheaper.
the links were talking about the confusion of the emails sent by Plusnet saying you would be cut off completely when some users said they were not, they then said it depended on the product.

AFAIK, PN has never cut *anyone* off for going over their usage allowance. What does happen however is that your browsing speed gets cut to 128K (and protocols such as P2P, Usenet, get blocked totally)
Smiley

So Premium is now a Legacy product replaced by Extra which a bit cheaper has 20gb less and a slighly different shaping profile.
Well it seems that there are quite a lot of links that need updating.
It is strange that Plusnet have not written to customers to advise them of such a big change in terms and conditions.  It seems that it is not just the £5 minimum but if you pre-order it must be in £5 blocks, seems very inflexible to me.
From what I remember they were saying that the reason the emails said you would be cut off was that for some packages it was true.
Here is the link "What the message says will happen 'Although you'll not be able to connect to the Internet, you'll still be able to access our website to increase your Maximum Broadband Price'. "
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78279.0.html
In that thread Matt Taylor and Bob Pullen (both Plusnet staff) disagree and then Mand says:
"b) The behaviour would depend on whether the customer is fixed or flexed. In fixed all traffic would be restricted to 128kbps once the limit was reached. In flexed mode extra usage would be added until they hit the value set by DTW (or £99.99). The customer should then be redirected to the portal page to increase DTW *or* be blocked until the next billing date."

The heading of this next link is Residential Broadband FAQs so one might reasonably assume it is correct when it says there is a 2gb price for some customers:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_broadband_faq.shtml#overAllowance
Confused?  Me too, that is why I ask if and when there has been a change.  Plusnet is pretty bad at communicating change (even good news).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The £5 per 5GB only applied to the new products not the legacy ones
Zap
Grafter

So that is uncertain too?
In Mand reply above I asked
3. Are any Legacy products are not affected by B?
B. That the minimum top-up is now £5 for 5gb.

Her reply was
3) No.
Yet the Plusnet website suggests there are £1.25 for 1gb for legacy products.
Who does one believe?
When did it change?
Or has it never changed?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Mand is not correct (I hope or she will come round and educate me  :-X)
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84166.msg694214.html#msg694214
Quote from: Chris
This change is only effective for customers on Plusnet Value, Plusnet Pro or Plusnet Premium. Additional usage on legacy products is staying as it is.
Mand
Grafter

The questions 2 and 3 in your original post are kind of similar. Question 2 asked which legacy products were not affected by question 1, to which I answered all of them. Question 3 asked if there were any legacy products that the answer to 2 did not apply, the answer is no.
To clarify, if you're on a newer product (Premium, Extra, Pro or Value) additional usage is available in 5GB blocks for £5 only.
For legacy products nothing changes, the additional usage rates are as they were prior to the product refresh. For BBYW you can still buy in advance, at the old rates.
On legacy products (prior to BBYW) you used to get cut off if you hit the limit, now you just get restricted to 128k.
The community library content is new, and is correct.
newthing
Grafter

Many including myself experience of going over the limit
_IS_ complete loss of service,
somehow DNS crumbles on me, - and any pages beyong Plusnet, and Plusnet _WEBMAIL_ fail to load,
thus it appears to be a total dissconect until the nice people on digital care Team magic up-
"another couple of Gigabytes 'til pay day Sir?",
😉
 This I speak of as my experience on more than two over quota occasions,
same results, same appearence of no net, other than some portal pages.
Toby
I ain't meant ta be that way,
I dinna outta be that way.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How recently have you gone over your limit? The way it is implemented changed a months or so ago.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
newthing
Grafter

I seem to remember
?March?
yes
coming up to March 12th would be approx,
also a week earlier,
(also a month, ( or two months) not so sure) earlier,
1, 2 .
each time loss of connectivity was so great I could barely (or not at all)  ping the cache dns (s)
Let me check up.
T.
grim experience, each time-
due to disbelief that the cause could be as it turned out to be, over quota.
One at 7.50 AM I lost webmail so completely in the dark.
😞
are the new changes described somewhere? Please.
I'd be interested in descriptions of the PN network Topology / Ellacoyas/ Switcherey new segments, 21CN WBCetc.