cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain registered, now how to point at CCGI?

TomP
Grafter

Domain registered, now how to point at CCGI?

Hi all,
Just got my domain registered with PlusNet for my blog and would now like it to point to my CCGI instead of asking people to type in the huge CCGI address.  Is there an easy way to achieve this?
Thanks
Tom
13 REPLIES 13
SkySurfer
Dabbler

Re: Domain registered, now how to point at CCGI?

The way to get this done is configure your domain in the domain control panel with the following entries:
Left Field                                  Type                              Pri                                Right Field
yourdomain.com.                      A                                                                      84.92.1.4
www                                        CNAME                                                            yourdomain.com.
Make sure you add the trailing dot to the domain names
Then call tech support and ask them to enable the domain for ccgi access
That's it - you're done Smiley
TomP
Grafter

What about the 'MX' domain on the current settings?
SkySurfer
Dabbler

Hi Tom,
The MX record is for mail deliery only.
You can leave that as it is unless you intend to change the method of collecting your mail - Eg: using your own MS Exchange mail server.
editpoint
Grafter

Following on from this it says in the tutorial (here  http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/14 )
"If you wanted to keep your whole website on the CGI server (not recommended) create the record as follows..."
Can anyone tell me why it is "not recommended"
TomP
Grafter

Still not getting it.
The post from editpoint helped me out, got the domain looking in the right place but its still not right.
The domain is www.prongle.co.uk
I need to to point at http://ccgi.tompringle.plus.com/~tompringle/wordpress/ - However its just not doing it.  If I type www.prongle.co.uk/wordpress it instantly defaults to http://www.prongle.co.uk/~tompringle/wordpress/ ; But I have to manually type 'wordpress'
Without reinstalling the whole wordpress package again can I get the domain to point directly at http://www.prongle.co.uk/~tompringle/wordpress/ ?
Gabe
Grafter

Yup. If you stick a .htaccess file in your root folder (create as 'my.htaccess', save as txt, upload as ascii, delete 'my', set permissions 640):
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^(.+[^/])$ $1/ [R,L]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?mydomain\.co\.uk$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/~username/folder/
RewriteRule (.*) /folder/$1

changing mydomain, username and folder (twice) appropriately, then your domain will point straight at your blog. The explanation for this can be found in the post linked from section 8 of the faq.
Gabe
Edit: typo
TomP
Grafter

*sigh*
No setting changed since I last logged into the CCGI and now when I try to connect I get this;
Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Delaying connection for 1 second due to previously failed connection attempt...

Any ideas?
Gabe
Grafter

Could be a number of things. Check username and password. Check you're on a plusnet connection. Check you're not trying to connect by ftps. Check your firewall settings: may need to add the ftp client as exception.
Gabe
TomP
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, been on holiday all week so will now try to pickup where I left off.
Trying to connect to the CCGI via a telnet request gives me this error
[tt]Trying 84.92.1.4...
telnet: connect to address 84.92.1.4: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
[/tt]
So according to this I can't even connect to the server? I'm guessing this means it isn't an FTP client problem as the test was taken place in a terminal window.
TomP
Grafter

Embarrassed
Me = Clown
Started happening when I returned to the Midlands and used our Virgin internet connection.  Problem solved. Will have to wait till I return down south to try and fix the redirecting issues.
TLE
Grafter

Telnet was disabled in August 09, you have to use a FTP client to connect to your CCGI space and it has to be done via your Plusnet connection.

10) I can't connect to the FTP server
Please be mindful that you will need to be connected to the Plusnet network before you'll be able to FTP to the CGI servers. You will not be able to do this from another ISP's network. If you can connect to the FTP servers but they are not accepting your username or password then please raise a support ticket on your account so that we can reset your password.
TomP
Grafter

Just auto updated WordPress to version 3 and now my website doesn't work, getting an Error 500.  I'm guessing this is permissions playing up and I will have to wait until I'm back on a PN connection to sort it out?
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: TomP
I'm guessing this is permissions playing up and I will have to wait until I'm back on a PN connection to sort it out?

Unless you happen to have left a script such as this in your root.
Gabe