cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£5 for 5GB

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: £5 for 5GB

Surely it is a fairly simple (!) coding change to present the user with a combo-box of available 'increase' options, in £5/5GB increments on the DTW instead of a free-type box?
B.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Quote from: Zap
Quote from: Mand
@Zap,
From April 12th the new prices will apply to new customers, but existing customers will have prices frozen for one year.
The emails which have been sent to customers do explain what the new prices are, for that particular customer's product.

Yes but can SOMEONE please tell me the prices as I may want to switch product before, it depends on what is down the road.

I think this is what you were looking for (from post #137 of this thread):
Quote from: xpcomputers
I've read through the post in detail and I think this is correct:-

MARKET 1 & 2

Product     Data    Speed    Quality   Current Price New Price
Value 10GB ADSL 1 Good £11.99 £12.99
Extra 60GB ADSL 2 Better n/a £17.99
Premium 80GB ADSL 2 Better £19.99 £19.99 (but no longer for sale)
Pro 20GB ADSL 2 Best £19.99 £22.99

MARKET 3

Product     Data    Speed    Quality   Current Price New Price
Value 10GB ADSL 1 Good £5.99 £6.49
Extra 60GB ADSL 2 Better n/a £11.49
Premium 80GB ADSL 2 Better £15.99 £15.99 (but no longer for sale)
Pro 20GB ADSL 2 Best £19.99 £16.49 #

NOTES:
Data:
This is the allowed bandwidth of data that can be used per month between the hours of 8am and midnight. Overnight all usage is always free on all these products (eg doesn't use up the data allowance).
Speed:
ADSL 1 = up to 8Mb/s service
ADSL 2 = up to 20Mb/s service (where the exchange is upgraded for this) and up to 8Mb/s elsewhere.
Quality:
Being a shared service, this relates to the priority various traffic is given on the network during peak times (note simple browsing and emails etc will always be "best" on all packages).
I'm not totally happy with the over-simplification of the labels "good, better & best", but it gives a vague idea of relative quality ratings of the traffic shaping.
(if anyone has a better idea for labelling them, let me know!)
Old Prices:
These are the current prices, and will remain in force for existing customers for the next 12 months. ( # exception being PRO in Market 3, where the customers will pay the new lower price of £16.49 from next month)
New Prices:
These are the prices that new customers will pay from April 12th and existing customers will pay in a year's time.
WARNING:
This is my interpretation of the info in this thread that I have gathered into one place, not Plusnet's own marketing bumf...
I accept no responsibility for inaccuracies! It is your responsibility to check all this info with Plusnet, and make your own product choices having researched your needs.

If you spot anything wrong, let me know and I'll edit the post.
Hope this helps...
Mike
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Zap
Yes but can SOMEONE please tell me the prices as I may want to switch product before, it depends on what is down the road.

Value will be £6.49 Market 3, and £12.99 elsewhere. Extra will be £11.49 Market 3, and £17.99 elsewhere. Pro will be £16.49 Market 3 and £22.99 elsewhere.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
Surely it is a fairly simple (!) coding change to present the user with a combo-box of available 'increase' options, in £5/5GB increments on the DTW instead of a free-type box?
B.

We considered that, but for this project it would take too much time, as DTW is used by all fixed usage products (including business) and there's a lot of variables. As I said though, we're looking at changes, and that's one of the options.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Mand,
I really think the changes should make DTW work in a predictable manner.... which I don't think it currently does.
Sticking with the example someone used a few posts ago:
Someone on Value M3 current prices, so monthly bill £5.99. If they set DTW at £5.99 that is what they pay. If they set it even at £6.00, it will allow them to spend £10.99!!! This wouldn't be what anyone would expect from the tool.
If you think of it like someone saying I have a maximum I want to spend of £x, then it should stop at or before that amount... not at the next £5 block OVER that amount (ie up to £4.99 more than their "limit"!).
I think the tool should know the price block, and check if it can "spend" that much without bursting the limit. At the moment it isn't the obvious way of working, so is more confusing than it needs to be.
I hope there is time to make some sort of change that would improve things.
Even having a tick box of "fix my cost" would help, so that those who just want to lock it for no additional spend, can get it right without having to update it when prices change etc.
What about having it with a radio buttons:

O - Don't allow additional bandwidth to be bought              (which is the same as entering £0 is box below)
O - Allow additional bandwidth to be bought up to (max)  ______  (rule to accept only a multiple of £5 or £0)
Your standard Product cost is      = £5.99        (fetched from the portal)
additional blocks allowed (as req) = £5            (from box above)
So your monthly spend is up to    = £10.99        (total of two above - so everything is transparent)

eg you make it so the tool knows your current product cost and keeps this separate form the above cost . So you type in the box how much you want to spend on blocks ONLY.
I think something has to be done to make it easier and more predictable... lots of ideas... you can pick which is easiest.

Mike
Mand
Grafter

Guys,
We are looking at this, but any changes are unlikely to be before this project rolls out, it's a system that is used by a lot of products, and different users and we need to make sure we get it right, rather than fixing it for some and breaking it for others.
Spider
Grafter

OK, I might be being  a bit thick I don't see the problem is with the settings in DTW itself. I think it is the piece of software that controls whether extra GB is added or the line restricted when current usage allowance is reached. At that point it should do the following calculations:
Current Charge + Additional Charge = New Charge
If New Charge <= DTW then apply extra GB
if New Charge > DTW then restrict the line.
Mand
Grafter

That's one of the options we've looked at, the other is to allow DTW to only be set in the relevant increments (ie on Value you can only set to £6.49, £11.49 etc etc).
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
So will Extra have the same traffic management profiles as Value then? Because I remember Plusnet claiming that the removal of the Unlimited product was because you deduced that people wanted less usage but less restrictive traffic management… hence Premium. If Extra has the same traffic management as Value, that means we'll be looking at another u-turn – and Plusnet are starting to make so many of those that I'm getting dizzy.

Just to follow up on this, as promised.
Extra will be *exactly* the same as Premium is now, which you can see here. Smiley
godsell4
Rising Star

We're not trying to alienate anyone.

Why be different to any other part of BT?  Tongue
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
xpcomputers
Grafter

Actually Godsell, I know you were just being jovially provocative, but I think Plusnet ARE still very different from other parts of BT. The day that things stoop to that level, I'll be leaving... but there are many things about Plusnet that are still to be commended, so I am still here.
Show me a MAND at BT for starters! Wink
Mike

{edited for grammar and clarity}
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Wheel_nut
I won't do that and would rather move to IDNET than succumb to Mr Vollmer's business model. 

Look, you are deluding yourself if you think any ISP, including IDNET, are *not* working in a manner that assumes some people will not use their whole usage allowance.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
gofaster
Rising Star

I'm confused by that Premium Download Speeds table.
What does "Other" include? There is no speed given for Web browsing or eMail - do these count as Other and only get 256Kb during the evening?
Mand
Grafter

Web browsing, email and VoIP are not restricted at any time, so aren't listed in the management profiles.
Other means something that cannot be identified by our traffic management system, or traffic which is running on non-standard ports.
Be3G
Grafter

Extra will be *exactly* the same as Premium is now, which you can see here. Smiley

Hmm. Well, I'm definitely glad to hear that – it makes Extra quite a steal when compared to the current Premium product – but at the same time, it looks like the things I use are hardly any better on Premium than they are on Value. In fact, I've just spotted a couple of things that're worse on Premium: Value gets line speed (i.e. up to 8Mbps) on download sites and servers between 12am and 12pm, whereas Premium's speed for download sites drops below 8Mbps at 9am, and for download servers, below 8Mbps at 11am. Is that really correct – that in those cases, Value is faster than Premium? Undecided
(I should add that I don't use download sites myself, though download servers are applicable to me for iTunes downloads, Mac OS X updates and so forth.)