cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webstats issues?

dgdclynx
Grafter

Re: Webstats issues?

That is a relief. I was getting worried whether the matter was getting a proper look. It will be interesting to see if Matt's fix solves Penny's longstanding problem. Thanks Matt.
buck

I've now rolled the fix for this, this should ensure this issue will be resolved going forward. I'll be checking on this tomorrow morning.
dgdclynx
Grafter

Thanks. I will keep my ticket open in case Penny is still unhappy.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: dgdclynx
I will keep my ticket open in case Penny is still unhappy.

lol
thank you Douglas Smiley  not usual for Webstats to have such a major fault, have been good for months now (disregarding the yellow/orange factors, but the stats do usually give a consistent picture, ongoing).
Won't be here during the day tomorrow but will post back tomorrow evening, if I get chance.  Thanks to Matt for identifying whatever was causing the recent (major) issues, by the way - really hope things will be back on track soon.  Though assume that might not be till Thurs (Wednesday's stats) as today's may have been incomplete up to 5pm-ish or whatever time the fix was applied.
Are you able to say what the "cause" of the problem was, Matt?
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Tony_W
Grafter

Seems better today  Smiley , although I reserve judgement on one item that I thought would be bigger, judging by my installed trackers.
As Penny says, is there any chance of an explanation of what went wrong?
Tony
dgdclynx
Grafter

I only get a few hundred hits per day so anomalies dont stand out cos so much depends on which search engines are visiting. Search engines seem to have been busy yesterday but absent the day before. It is impossible to tell.
When Penny does her analysis tomorrow it will be possible to decide whether the problem is near enough fixed.
buck

Quote from: Tony
Seems better today  Smiley , although I reserve judgement on one item that I thought would be bigger, judging by my installed trackers.
As Penny says, is there any chance of an explanation of what went wrong?
Tony

The issue now appears to be resolved from the fix applied yesterday, this should mean ALL of yesterdays stats should now be correct (i.e. not just those after the fix was applied). Basically the issue arose due to the addition of an extra access log file being introduced into the same directory where the Webstats logs are kept on the Homepages servers. Unfortunately the regex in the script which retrieves yesterdays log files was matching (on a few of the servers) the newly introduced log file rather than the access logs for customer websites. This meant that the stats were only representative of the servers where the regex matched the correct log file. Basically the regex in the script needed tweaking to ensure only the customer web access logs were matched, the previous regex unfortunately was broad enough to pick up the other log file.
I hope this explains it, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Matt
dgdclynx
Grafter

Thanks Matt. I am glad you worked out what was wrong and corrected it. It will be interesting to see how the new figures compare with Penny's independent monitoring.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: buck
The issue now appears to be resolved from the fix applied yesterday, this should mean ALL of yesterdays stats should now be correct (i.e. not just those after the fix was applied).

... thanks for clarifying that, Matt ... and indeed things do look to be "back to normal" - screenshot below including stats for 9th March:

Quote from: buck
... the stats were only representative of the servers where the regex matched the correct log file.

... oh 😕  I had almost (but didn't quite like to) asked for the stats to be backdated if poss (I know it's possible to take them back about a week and regenerate)  - hadn't fully realised that the logs would be complete, just the stats not reflecting those.  Recognise it's too late to make the request now : D
... but thanks for fixing them, and for the explanation, Matt.
If there are (any) similar issues in the future, what would be the best way of flagging them up so they get sorted before a whole week has elapsed?  Several of us have posted here, but it did take quite some time before things got put right - should we all "raise tickets" in future?  Didn't have time to do that in this instance, grateful though to those who did Smiley
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
dgdclynx
Grafter

I am closing my ticket.
buck

Quote from: Penny

... oh 😕  I had almost (but didn't quite like to) asked for the stats to be backdated if poss (I know it's possible to take them back about a week and regenerate)  - hadn't fully realised that the logs would be complete, just the stats not reflecting those.  Recognise it's too late to make the request now : D
... but thanks for fixing them, and for the explanation, Matt.
If there are (any) similar issues in the future, what would be the best way of flagging them up so they get sorted before a whole week has elapsed?  Several of us have posted here, but it did take quite some time before things got put right - should we all "raise tickets" in future?  Didn't have time to do that in this instance, grateful though to those who did Smiley

The best way to flag any similar issues in future would be to each raise a ticket on your account and post to community. Normally if there are issues with Webstats our monitoring systems are pretty good at picking them up, obviously in this case the process was working but the content was incorrect (on some of the servers).
I'll close the problem off on our end now.
Thanks,
Matt
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Cheers Matt, appreciate the guidelines for "next time".
Webstats don't often go wrong these days but for those of us who rely on accurate stats it is good to have had this resolved so effectively (and relatively-quickly I guess, given the random nature of the fault).
... appreciate the input from all sides Smiley

Regards,
Penny.
dgdclynx
Grafter

Judging by the past three days stats I am wondering whether there has been a previous underestimate of near enough 20%. But maybe not. Time will tell.