Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

Hi Everyone,
BT are looking trial Fibre to the Premises later this year from July.  I know it's a little while away yet but we're looking for a few volunteers. Each ISP that takes part will get 5 lines so if selected I'm looking to try and find 5 customers that would like to take part.
The trial is being limited to 2 exchanges initially Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes and Highams Park in north London.
So if you're on one of these 2 exchanges and would be interested please post here.
Saying you're interested wouldn't commit you to anything and I'm sure anyone that is has plenty of questions, most of which I may not be able answer yet, but please feel free to ask away and I'll try and get the answers to.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
717 REPLIES 717
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

Thanks Dave,
I nowhere near those exchanges, but am interested on the performance expectations.
Property to exchange
exchange to network
Be3G
Grafter

Highams Park – only a few miles from me. How much would I have to pay BT to reel a bit of fibre out this way I wonder…?
pjone9
Dabbler

Hi Dave
I'm on Bradwel Abbey exchange and raised a ticket to register interest last year when the trial was meant to start December 09 / January 10.  Count me in for one of the 5 lines please.
Regards
Phil
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks Phil, will add you down. We may need to move you across to 21CN before the trial begins, I'm waiting for confirmation of that, I'll be in touch if we do.
Be3G, probably more than it would cost to move house to Highams Park Smiley
Mal, design speed of FTTP is 100Mbps downstream, don't know the upstream yet or what to expect from throughput. To compare with FTTC though that's available with sync speed between 15Mbps and 40Mbps at the moment with options on downstream throughput at 8Mbps and 12Mbps (standard and elevated) as the minimum expected throughput and upstream sync speed of 5Mbps and 10Mbps. So I'd expect for FTTP at least the same if not higher.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
michaelmann

I am on the Bradwell Abbey exchange in Milton Keynes.  I would be very pleased to join in the FTTP trial and Plusnet has been my ISP since broadband was invented!
My email address is michael@minimanns.net, or michael@mjmann1.plus.com.  My location in Milton Keynes is Great Linford.  If there is something to be done while we wait for the trial to start, how will I keep in touch?
clarros

I am also on the Bradwell Abbey exchanged and have also raised not one, but two tickets about this trial since its announcement last year.  I would very  much like to participate.
Addnan
Grafter

You guys ae so lucky. I can't even get ADSL2+ at my exchange. POPLAR needs upgrading, its too busy Cry
readingg
Grafter

Yes please count me in
Gary
readingg
Grafter

That is I am on the Bradwell Abbey exchange and would love to take part - plusnet username is thereadings, email gary@thereadings.co.uk
klyne
Grafter

If there is still any room I would like to take part. I am also in Great Linford on the Bradwell Abbey exchange davidklyne@davidklyne.plus.com
David
khill01
Dabbler

Hi Dave.
Volunteer! I’ll gladly pay for the privilege.
I'm on the Bradwell Abbey Exchange in Shenley Lodge and already have 2 ADSL lines, one domestic and one commercial.
The lack of affordable bandwidth has been holding me back for years.
Unlike everyone else it is the up bandwidth I’m after as a photographer and web developer.
Happydays.
Kevin Hill
Complete Image
Mailto:khill01@happydays-mk.co.uk
Bojangles
Grafter

Do plusnet buy different "boxes" of capacity with the new fttc/p systems? The 655Mbps sound a bit slim when people start talking about 100mbps connections.
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): I've put the post where you intended for it to go and removd your edit text.]
klyne
Grafter

With trials like this how long do they last, is it weeks or months?
Thanks
David
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks everyone, appreciated. I'm waiting on more information at the moment (including whether we've been accepted on the trial which we may not know for a couple of weeks). I know that we're still a way off the trial so if anyone else is on one of the 2 exchanges and is interested please post and we'll operate a reserve list.
Questions that I can answer.
klyne - the trial is set to begin in July and last for 6 months.
Bojangles - bandwidth for both FTTC and FTTP is delivered over our 21CN infrastructure, the same infrastructure that customers on ADSL2+ use. This uses our current 1Gbps host links (of which we currently have 2Gbps of bandwidth lit) and spread across 5 individual links (with more due for delivery).
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology