cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW Pro v Plusnet Pro

Nick_Russell
Grafter

BBYW Pro v Plusnet Pro

I am currently on BBYW Pro.  Looking at Kitz's comparison the Plusnet Pro product seems to offer identical shaping and traffic management but with the possibility to get speeds up to 20 MB. Is there any reason why I should not switch?  Is there a downside to Plusnet Pro? 
Also can I switch and keep my fax-to-email?
19 REPLIES 19
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: BBYW Pro v Plusnet Pro

When we moved to the current product set, we stopped selling all the BBYW products as new sales. However we still had people asking for Pro so a new version, which the traffic management is the same on, was created.
If you want to switch to Plusnet Pro you can request to keep any services that aren't offered on the new products during the change-over and we'll also move you to the 21CN network if it's available at your exchange.
Let me know if you'd like to switch and I'll arrange it for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Presumable Plusnet Pro will be slightly cheaper than BBYW Pro after 1st January with the VAT changes?  Are they currently the same price?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

BBYW Pro is currently £19.55 (IIRC) which will go back to £19.99 once VAT increases, Plusnet Pro is £19.99.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Thanks Chris.  I couldn't remember what the BBYW prices where now.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
If you want to switch to Plusnet Pro you can request to keep any services that aren't offered on the new products during the change-over and we'll also move you to the 21CN network if it's available at your exchange.
Let me know if you'd like to switch and I'll arrange it for you.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I would like to change and my exchange is 21CN enabled but has not been switched over yet.  I need to keep my fax-to-email.
Do I need to do anything or can you just arrange?  My user name is quartzconsulting
Chris
Legend

I'll go and sort it out now.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Nick,
Chris has made the change for you, you'll need to reconnect in order to be on the profile for the new account but there's basically no difference so no need to rush this.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Many thanks Chris and Matt for the quick response.  I'll reconnect when I get home.
Chris
Legend

As Matt says, there is no rush for this as the service offers are the same anyway.
rigsby
Dabbler

I'm in pretty much same position - I have BBYW3 but it seems that there isn't any downside to moving my account to PlusNet Premium?  And as my exchange is already 21CN I can assume that I will get improved speeds once switch over, providing my router is compatible (it's a NetGear DG834PN and it seems from spec it is)?
So if I want to move to PlusNet Pro I can do so pretty much immediately without any loss of service?
Thanks
Mand
Grafter

Yep, you can move over now, and if your exchange is enabled we'll submit a regrade to ADSL2+ for you straightaway.
rigsby
Dabbler

Hi Mand
I notice when I look at upgrade opttions that PlusNet Premium Estimated speed is 4.5Mb even though it also shows my exchange as ADSL2+ enabled.  I definitely want to be sure that if I move to Premium from BBYW3 that I get the ADSL2+ benefit and improved speed.
Can you or anyone else confirm this?
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The speed you will get on ADSL 2+ will depend on how far you are from the exchange and the quality of your line. If you post your existing router statistics (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) we can make an educated guess at your likely ADSL2+ speeds.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rigsby
Dabbler

Here are my stats -
Downstream:
Connection Speed - 5568 kbps
Line Attenuation - 24.0 db
Noise Margin - 10.0 db
Upstream:
Connection Speed - 448 kbps
Line Attenuation - 13.0 db
Noise Margin - 21.0 db
Although I was told by Plusnet Support that my exchange is ADSL2+ enabled, when I use member centre to look at upgrade options it shows my estimated max speed as up to 4.5mb and says ADSL2+ is not currently available, so I'm a bit confused - maybe a PlusNet person could clarify?
Cheers