Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a new router, can you help me choose please

leeanthony
Grafter

I need a new router, can you help me choose please

Hello
I need a new router..
I want a really really good one, one that will keep my connection reliable and stable to keep me connected forever, and one that improves sync speeds too
Im currently still on the 8meg ADSL, we cant get 20meg here yet.. but a future proof one for 20meg would be a plus (but not a must!)
All I do require is 4 ethernet ports, and one that offers wireless. (I dont use wireless normally, I disable it. But known again I go on a laptop downstairs, thats all)
I dont want to pay £50 more for improved wireless features, I only need basic wireless stuff. Ethernet is the primary way I connect
So guys
What can you recommend for me? I want to order today Smiley Dont point me to cheapish "average" ones, I want a really good one please forget the money
Thanks!  Kiss
18 REPLIES 18
leeanthony
Grafter

Re: I need a new router, can you help me choose please

Hoping to get quite a few peoples recommended router, the one I see recommended the most was going to be the one I chose! So cmon guys and gals!  Cool
Addnan
Grafter

I persoanlly love my Netgear DG834G. It is simple to use and have never had a problem with it. There are much more new models, but I stuck with something that I know will work.
jack21
Grafter

How good is your line to the exchange; is it a stable line, is it prone to noise and/or drops, what's its current attenuation......what's your prevailing target SNRM, and is it almost always at that level?
From my experience testing 50+ routers over the last 9 months, I'd recommend the following:
For a 5+ km line with high attenuation of 68+db,  usually stable and not particularly noisy, my choice depends on 3 scenarios:
1. Default target SNRM  at 12 or above and likely to remain so :  choice is a Billion Bipac 7300 (second is a Billion 5200)
2. Default target SNRM  at 9 and likely to remain so : choice is  Billion 7300, and  Netgear DG834G V4 or DG834GT  (with DGTeam firmware) in joint second place
3. Default target SNRM at 6 : choice is 2700HGV, with the above Netgears in second place
Note that using the Billions, whilst giving the best peformance, does entail regular monitoring to check they don't go too fast for the line.
leeanthony
Grafter

Damn I just posted a double post because I didnt think anyone was goin to post in here (Sorry mods!  :-[)
Thanks guys though!
Addnan your not the first person who has recommended that one, its deffinately on the maybe list Smiley Thx
Jack I wish I could answer accurately but I dont remember what my stats used to be with my good old router, its the reason I want a new one because my current router has helped increase my noise margin and decrease my profile! I used to connect at max and download over 700kb/s though so I would assume.. It used to be 6..9.. maybe 12.
Here are my current stats but dont pay much attention to the noise margin, as I am hoping its the routers fault.
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,432
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.5 / 35.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 14.5

So you also recommend the DG834G V4, yes thats deffinately up in the list. I think chris recommended the 2700hgv aswel, or said he liked it anyway. Asbo uses the netgear too.
I think its going to be between the 2700 and the netgear then, but then that confuses me too because....
I read a review that the 2700 had surge power problems, and the 2701 fixed this.. however, I googled it and I couldnt find anywhere that sold the 2701!
As for the netgear, Ive also heard someone mention the GT too, so hmm.. DG834G V4 or DG834G. Whats the difference? If I choose a netgear, which do I go for and why? Shocked
jack21
Grafter

With that medium'ish attenuation, assuming your line is in a good state, you ought to have an SNRM of 6, and a really high sync rate.
I'd be tempted to first try a 2700HGV with version 5 firmware (and then stop it being upgraded before putting it online)....I've observed that for any specific target SNRM, my 2700HGV syncs faster than any other non-tweakable-SNRM router I've tried (***under my conditions***).  The only 2 adverse things about the 2700HGV is that it is non-SNRM-tweakable, and I have to stop it being firmware-upgraded by BT - otherwise it is a magnificent bit of kit.....used for almost 2 years with no hitch.
The DG834 is the non-wireless version of the DG834G......I've tested all DG834G Vx models except the V5 (it is non-SNRM-tweakable), and I would only strongly recommend the V4 and GT models, and only if equipped with DGTeam firmware.
leeanthony
Grafter

Thanks again man Smiley
Face another problem now though, I cant find anywhere at all to buy the 2700hgv except ebay, but Im not buying one from ebay
As for the Netgear, I am unsure they dont seem to say the versions
I found this on Ebuyer, is that v4 or v5 though?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119374
(Unless that above is the v4)
The GT is all that seems to be available... with 1 left in stock lol  Shocked
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-071-NG&groupid=46&catid=1451&subcat=1454

Any thoughts?

Edit
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/52244 just found that, still doesnt seem to say unless im blind  Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The Netgear DG834G (v5) 802.11g wireless router adds considerable power and flexibility to your network. Five products in one, it combines an ADSL modem, router, 10/100 LAN switch, 802.11g access point, and SPI True Firewall.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/52244
jack21
Grafter

Pity about excluding Ebay; I've bought 5 * 2700HGVs over the past year or so off Ebay, and all have been ace....2 of them were still sealed in their box.
I think you'd be VERY fortunate to find a DG834G V4 new from a retailer - not impossible tho, mine is a factory-refurbished (good as new), bought around 6 months ago. I think you're likely only to find V5's from new......except on Ebay !!
Mind you, that first reference you quote DOES refer to a V4 - contact them and ask before you buy tho.
The GT is as good as the V4 tho, so if you must have a new one, then out with your wallet.......again unless you buy one off Ebay, where they're mysteriously cheaper than the V4's......I've also had 5 off Ebay, and no duds! (they were all ex-Sky versions and had to be reflashed).
jack21
Grafter

Hi OldJim,
I haven't tested a V5 for a few reasons; the reviews I've read portray them as very much poorer than the V4 (quality/chipset/performance), there's no DGTeam firmware for them, they're too new to be cheaply-available on Ebay, and they're non-SNRM-tweakable. 
Now then, the V6 is another matter (maybe/if&when/tongue-in-cheek) !!
Jack
scootie
Grafter

when my first v4 went on the blink due to flashing the firmware back an forth alot of times in one day and alot of power downs, i got a belkin enanched wireless new from currys as the only dsl netgear they had in was a v4 but it had a returned sticker on the front.
needless to say i took the belkin back within a few days and took the returned v4 back home with me and its bin happy as larry fighting with the 21cn DLM since
there very reliable routers as long as you dont take the biscuit with them like i did, so buying off ebay shouldnt be to much of a risk getting a dud one
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This has appeared on my wish list.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
leeanthony
Grafter

Righteo then, I just rang Ebuyer and he said http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119374 is Version 4! So Im gonna order that now, Thanks you guys!
Asbo what did you actually do to take the biscuit as you said, anything you can recommend for me to do/not to do when I get mine? settings, tweaks, firmware.. anything or just leave it purely default settings? Smiley Thx again
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Jack21
Not sure why you referred to me in your post - I was pointing out that the last link on the previous post did say it was a v5
Personally I will be very sad when my DG834G v4 gives up the ghost and I have to get one of the non fiddleable modern chips
jack21
Grafter

Ah yes, Strat, that does look good....too costly for me tho - have to wait till they appear in Ebay.
Billion make excellent routers; they are my first choice where I've got to live with SNRM 12+, but surprisingly, the more expensive (and feature-packed) ones I've tried (7402 and 7404) haven't  had the blistering (for me) performance of a hard-wired SNRM of 6 which the cheaper 5200/7300 do produce.
To put my money where my mouth is, so to speak, after 55+ routers off Ebay, mostly less than £10 each - with one or two exceptions up to £15 - I've just ordered my first-ever new router from a retailer - a new-model Bipac 7300-RA wireless one from Eclipse Computers.