cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pages not loading again tonight :-(

bluewhale
Rising Star

pages not loading again tonight :-(

well it seems that whatever has been going on over the last few days is here again tonight
my connection/page loading is going up and down
sometimes ok, but others can't load even the plusnet pages...
what is going on???? Sad Sad
15 REPLIES 15
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Re: pages not loading again tonight :-(

Yet on the Service Status it says there are no problems  Roll_eyes I am also having problems with lower than usual speed as it appears others are to.
Better up date the Service Status PlusNet  Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep me too !
Every day the same, good speed in the morning then falling to almost nothing after 16:00. Useless !!!
At 06:30 I was getting 6600 to 6800 Kbps, lunchtime was 2300Kbps, by 16:30 down to 850Kbps, and now (21:00) it's 200Kbps.
Same pattern every day for the last three weeks !
Router stats the same whether throughput is fast or slow.
Nothing unusual shows up in 'Wireshark' traces.
Uncongested exchange.
Same effect seen on different Plusnet gateways.
The thing that I can't quite get my head around is that so many people around the country are seeing the same problem, yet those people who have done the BT speedtest during the slow evening period seem to get the same slow results with similar numbers to the alternative speed testers.  Therefore PN are saying our lines must be faulty and are BT's problem (as the speed test results are similar), and I am quite expecting my BT fault investigation tomorrow to come back as normal - as my line stats are ALWAYS great and as I stated earlier I did achieve 6800Kbps this morning (so how can I have a line fault ?).
Whatever this fault is, it IS related to the volume of traffic on the internet and not local line conditions, and therefore there MUST be a common route that traffic takes when using either the BT speed tester, or the route taken when using other speed testers.  The cause has to be at that point of commonality !
Is there a diagram somewhere of how this is all connected up ?, and if so what route does the BT speed test take ?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I don't know if this is of interest.
http://www.plus.net/features/network/technical_info.shtml
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
The BT Speedtest can run up to 3 tests depending on what speed you get on each test.
The first test (TAP1) tests the speed between you and the Internet going across both the BT network and our network. A slow speed on the TAP1 test could mean that slow speed is caused anywhere between your PC, router, line etc. to our network and our network transit/peering links or the BT speedtester itself. However, the TAP1 test goes into our titanium queue and doesn't get rate limited on any product even if you hit your usage allowance and would normally see restrictions. That means that even if our network is really really busy and everything else is slowing down the BT speedtest should still give a normal speed for your line, so a slow speed on the BT speedtest TAP1 is almost certainly going to caused by something before you get to our network or something between the core network and tarnsit/peering links. The result of TAP2 would confirm this.
The second test (TAP2) which you are prompted to run if the TAP1 is slow enough has you log in with a 2nd username which tests the speed between you and the BT side of of 622Mbps central pipes. A slow speed on TAP1 and a fast speed on TAP2 indicates the cause is between our central pipes and our transit/peering links whereas a slow speed on both TAP1 and TAP2 rules out our side of the network.
The third test (TAP3) which you are prompted to run if TAP2 is also slow tests the speed between you and your local BT PoP. A slow speed here rules out the BT cloud between your PoP and us in London and means the cause is really down to your equipment and line or something at the exchange or exchange capacity.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Anotherone
Champion

Dave, nice explanation, thanks - that ought to go in the Community Library.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:pages not loading again tonight :-(

Good call - I'll take care of that this afternoon.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yet on the Service Status it says there are no problems

Service status has been showing at amber for a while now on Network Capacity (ADSL/20CN), have a look at the link here: http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bluewhale
Rising Star

i'm on 21cn
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Anyone else on 21CN (ADSL2+) having this issue? We haven't seem many reports of this for 21CN customers
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bluewhale
Rising Star

it's ok again now, i'll report if the same thing happens again this evening
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I am on 21Cn, on value...
Always been OK, but today, just now, speedtests show 1500Kbps, on a 3500 profile.
Browsing is also spluttery.....
Disconnected and reconnected the PPP session and all back to normal. Also got a different gateway. Was on THN-AG1
Now on PCL-AG04
Anotherone
Champion

This spluttery performance seems to be cropping up in a few places!
scootie
Grafter

speed been fine for me tonight, as all ways i was on pcl-ag04 with a profile of 3000
i was playing about with MTU and TCP RW on a new xp setup so have some speed tests here from the start of peak time
Yesterday 17:04 2752 kbps (344kB/s) 741 kbps (92.6kB/s) Share
Yesterday 17:04 2705 kbps (338kB/s) 741 kbps (92.6kB/s) Share
Yesterday 16:56 2737 kbps (342kB/s) 742 kbps (92.8kB/s) Share
Yesterday 16:55 2747 kbps (343kB/s) 741 kbps (92.6kB/s) Share
bluewhale
Rising Star

no spluttering for me last night 🙂