cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(midnight) latency up to old tricks

scootie
Grafter

Re: latency up to old tricks

still bad even on a quiet friday night. better average but still unstable. i could live with it if it was just an increase to 30 or 40ms if it was stable but being unstable makes games unplayable
EDIT. still bad at 1am.
scootie
Grafter

another for the hall of fame
scootie
Grafter

worse tonight. lag fest 2009
EDIT. appoliges for all the captures, my ping plotter shuts its self down randomly
scootie
Grafter

If possable i would like some frank an honest answers from the nework guys please as am seriously thinking of moving to pastures new.
1.are you any more clued up on whats causing the latency from last time it happend?
2. james has said the extra capicty goes live on wensday
As I've alluded to elsewhere, we've got an extra 117Mbps capacity going live on Wednesday

now my fear is as before the latency improved after the extra capicty was added last time. But here we are again with the same issue.
seems to me the extra capicty is just away of masking the issue and its going to happen time and time again
3. how come on 20cn when capicty on the centrals is pushed to its limits do we not see latency on are time senstive packets?
4.i pay PN for my braodband due to the fact of the traffic mangment, I dont care that p2p is rate limited to unuseable levels at peak times, the whole point of me being with PN is due to your sell ( your latency and packets of time senstive data is safe in are hands ect ect).
Hello this just not happening on 21cn, you may as well chuck the ecollya's in the bin as there not working.
PN are allowing people with 10mb+ adsl2+ connections to bully my xbox packets with there stupid p2p
5.its all seems to be blamed on BTw, Yet why is that when plusnet release the rate limits upwards at 10,11pm an midnight,holy moley that's when the latency starts, yes the traffic jam may be on BTw host link and other parts of there network you rent of them but its the rate changes that spark the issue, so please stop puting 100% of the blame on BTw.
6. we have seen the 21cn packet drop graph a couple of times and there is no drops at peak time, so there is all ready plenty of capicty on there, other wise we would see the normal packet drops trend as on 20cn, so why when things get there rate limits relesased at midnight is that the only time you see packets droped, yet thats the time the latency kicks in, if the eccolya's are queueing up the lower prioity packets and droping them as nessary why is the 0xa0 prioity having to wait to get through (average wait of 50-70ms that peaks into the 100's of ms on a stable 16ms fastpath  line).
As you can see am not a happy bunny after going through what was over a month of this bad latency during the trial period to find the actualy launched product is still pants and not been fixed, granted you have the 20cn speed issue to sort on top of this and from a bussiness retaining its customers its most likely your top prioity (unlike my xbox packets  Cry ) .
But please remember the first impression's rule as at a guess most your new customers are being put on 21cn, and if there is a few night owls like me wanting to game when we choice to and find even on the PRO package there latency is pants when it hits midnight they to are not going to be happy and thats there first impression of PN after buying a product with the following specs bellow, and gamers chat an chat some more when playing online so it will soon become knowen that PN's adsl2+ is pants for gaming
taken from here http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/pro.shtml
All traffic prioritised at all times
Low latency and pings
Reliable and stable connection
scootie
Grafter

a tiny tiny tiny bit better tonight. i might just get my hopes up looking at that graph tonight that i might be gaming again at 2am if am lucky.
and dont blame my first hop for nothing as i have to run 2 intances of ping plotter to stop it shuting the gui down on me and for some reason this causes the first hop to false report
samples inclueded have bein increased to a full hours worth instead of 60 seconds as in the other captures
edit might try to get a few games in now. am still not happy with the jitter being up at 10ms thoe
the last graph is all i want from my connection, am happy with my 2500kbps line. Its not as if am asking for 18000 kbps throughput  Cheesy
James
Grafter

Re:latency up to old tricks

Hiya,
We're not sweeping this under the carpet, but do still believe that it is a congestion issue at Chesterfield exchange, although I share your concerns over traffic prioritisation.
Extra bandwidth should be in place at our end tomorrow so your latency should be better/fine.
Tried to call yesterday but think you were asleep Smiley
scootie
Grafter

but do still believe that it is a congestion issue at Chesterfield exchange

so PN must have alot of people on the chesterfield exchange, for it to happen when PN release every ones lines at midnight.
Am sorry but that just dosent seem to make sense that the midnight latency is local, (unless  dave has a private GBps link all to him self and max's it out at midnight :crazy)
is there no other PN staff on 21cn that are not on the chesterfield exchange to confirm this. i asked complex if they find there selfs up at
midnight to kindly check but not every ones such a night owl as me, which is most likely why i seem to be the only voice.
If its most likely exchange VLAN hiting capcity what diffrence would adding 117Mbps to PN's host link make?
when the capicty was added last time when this latency was bad months ago i saw an improvment in the ping times straight away ( but they did not drop straight back to  stable 16-17ms at midnight) i could stil see it was midnight by just watching my ping times.

must of bein in town james as all other times there was some one in the house, i was up with the birds yestaday, noisey things at that time of day
James
Grafter

We're currently only seeing you reporting a sudden increase in latency at that time of the day.
If there's anyone else, let us know!
scootie
Grafter

i think only network guys can give me the information am looking for james, strangely odd for me that even BTw would run the VLAN capicty at chesterfield so low that ONE ISP'S traffic could cause this issue fo a whole exchange.
asbo wonders should he search the net high and low for another isp's customer that is on wbmc on the chesterfield exchange to find if they have bad latency due to PN runing at line speed at midnight.
paulby
Grafter

Here's a graph of my latency over the last day.  I'm part of the SamKnows monitoring project and these were recorded automatically from my connection.
My connection (21CN ADSL2+) is interleaved hence the higher ping times but there's a definite increase round midnight to 3am.
scootie
Grafter

cheers for posting that paul  Smiley can we safely say that paul is NOT on the chesterfield exchange and to turn are attention a step further up the BTw network from exchange level now?
James
Grafter

I'll flag this to clever people.
scootie
Grafter

experts in there field of work. just as you are james  Wink
paulby
Grafter

Here's another graph for you ASBO.  Same increase in ping at midnight to 3am.
scootie
Grafter

cheers again, glad it shows up on those graphs as they seem to check ping once an hour.
is it case of them sending one icmp packet to those boxes you have off sam knows or do they send multiplue packets and take the average each hour?
james can you shout up when you know the extra capicty has gone live please, thats asuming 21cn stuff still dosent get published on the front page like 20cn