Tuesday 2nd September 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1] 2

Now BT charge for 1471!

• 7up
  • The UK needs more science, engineering, tech & R&D
  • View Profile
« on 18/10/2009, 11:26 »
I can't believe it!

We've been looking at the phone bill and those sneaks at BT have now started charging for the always free service 1471!

Now pardon me but don't they have to tell you about this?

I still can't believe it!

It seems that these days every phone company wants you on one of these free evening/weekend/day time calls otherwise they're going to hit you to the T. Now.. apart from subscription fees and contract lengths whats in it for the phone companies these days with all these free call time packages and further why should you be punished if you don't have one?
Those with the least are expected to contribute the most.
« Reply #1 on 18/10/2009, 11:37 »
I thought they only charged if you used the '3' facility after 1471 to make a call to the number. Are you saying that they charge for just using 1471 to hear the last number who called you ?

Edit: just found this link http://bt.custhelp.com/cg...72,2102&p_faqid=13295 on the BT website relating to changes from 1 Oct 2009 and it says that 1471 will remain free.
From 1 October, the pay per use prices of five of our Calling Features will change:

* Dialling 1471 to find out the number of the last person who called you will remain a service available at no charge. The price of the call return service (dial 1471 then press 3) will change from 9.7p to 12p per use.

« Last Edit: 18/10/2009, 11:41 by MisterW »

« Reply #2 on 18/10/2009, 12:18 »
phew!  okrzynska had me going there for a moment.  thanks for clarifying misterw.
A satisfied plusnet customer since May 2005
Using PCLinuxOS - the radically simple distro-hopper-stopper
« Reply #3 on 18/10/2009, 13:26 »
I can't believe it!

We've been looking at the phone bill and those sneaks at BT have now started charging for the always free service 1471!

Now pardon me but don't they have to tell you about this?

I still can't believe it!

It seems that these days every phone company wants you on one of these free evening/weekend/day time calls otherwise they're going to hit you to the T. Now.. apart from subscription fees and contract lengths whats in it for the phone companies these days with all these free call time packages and further why should you be punished if you don't have one?

That's what I found on my bill :

BT Answer 1571 low use charge 0.98
BT Caller Display low use charge 2.50

LOL???
Because I keep this line to have broadband (no cable or fibre optic available in Coleshill Sad  ) I don't use it 4 calling and those dodgy sneaks robbin' me every month.
Second time from now on I ask them to remove both services that I don't use - we will see what happened.

« Last Edit: 18/10/2009, 13:28 by sebastianpolomka »

• dvorak
  • Forum Moderator
  • Meh.
  • View Profile
« Reply #4 on 18/10/2009, 14:17 »
To get called ID and 1571 free you need to make one chargeable call per month, why don't you just switch it off if you don't use it?
Forum Moderator and Customer

Unofficial IRC -  irc.geekshed.net:6667, Channel #PlusnetUnoffical
  • 7up
  • View Profile
« Reply #5 on 18/10/2009, 18:09 »
phew!  okrzynska had me going there for a moment.  thanks for clarifying misterw.

Well we've been charged 0.097p for each call to 1471. If BT are still saying it's free then they are most definitely playing games.

That's what I found on my bill :

BT Answer 1571 low use charge 0.98
BT Caller Display low use charge 2.50

LOL???
Because I keep this line to have broadband (no cable or fibre optic available in Coleshill Sad  ) I don't use it 4 calling and those dodgy sneaks robbin' me every month.

Funny you say that because our bill shows 1571 as being free but we're being charged for 1471 calls which is apparently free? - I smell a big fat rat called BT! Also along the lines of making phone calls without a phone BT did that to me years ago. I had a phone line purely used for dialup as I didn't even have a phone handset (for the very reason of stopping myself getting a big bill!). Anyway despite this they still managed to log some unknown phone numbers and try to bill me! Needless to say I argued this out with them and eventually got somewhere.

Also got a gas bill once for a non-existent gas supply too! They wanted 47 out of me and there wasn't one gas appliance or pipe in the place. The meter was outside in the hall way with both pipes in and out removed!

Just goes to show these companies will try ANYTHING to get some cash out of you.
« Reply #6 on 18/10/2009, 18:14 »
Sounds odd.  I'd be interested to hear the outcome once you've spoken to BT.
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
  • 7up
  • View Profile
« Reply #7 on 18/10/2009, 22:55 »
Yeah me too. The other half will deal with it shortly!
« Reply #8 on 19/10/2009, 20:33 »
not related to 1471, but still a trick BT tried to pull, I recently got a phone line installed for broadband usage, when the bill arrived there was the phone installation charge, line rental for 3 months in advance and the kicker -  40 per month for calls I hadn't made yet?!?!

When I queried BT they said they estimated the price of the calls they reckon I am likely to make in the future, so charge in advance, if I am under, the amount is removed from the next bill. It is nice to know that BT now have a psychic department predicting my likely phone usage. Needless to say, I paid everything except the call charges, so now line rental is paid 3 months in advance, and my calls 3 months in arrears, to keep it all nice and simple for me lol
  • 7up
  • View Profile
« Reply #9 on 21/10/2009, 18:45 »
Yeah I've heard that they've been doing that too. It's awful. Effectively they're billing you for something you've not used and I've even heard of them using debt collectors to ensure they get it!

I've also heard of some of the energy companies doing the same thing now too. In effect they like to hold your 'savings' and gain interest on it while you get zero interest on it and a load of hassle if you don't hand over the cash.

Everything in this country is now a con.
« Reply #10 on 21/10/2009, 18:57 »
Sometimes it's good to build up a reserve with energy companies for example.  If you enter the winter period with a credit it acts as a cushion for the higher winter charges.  in the past I've built up credit with BT and they have always returned it when requested.
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
« Reply #11 on 21/10/2009, 23:15 »
my mate does that with his gas supplier and he finds it works for him. I prefer to pay for what I'm actually using, whether its energy or for the telephone, etc. as I reckon if I drop down dead tomorrow, I doubt they would pay anything back, which then gives them more profit. I am quite cynical of big businesses at the moment though, and quite agree with okrzynska Smiley
« Reply #12 on 22/10/2009, 08:26 »
@okrzynska,

Just to let you know, my wife used 1471 a couple of days ago, without calling the number back though. I've checked my recent calls online today and there is no sign of any charge.
Hope that helps

« Reply #13 on 22/10/2009, 14:50 »
I checked the BT website and it states categorically that there is NO charge for 1471 unless you select the "3" option and let them dial back for you.

As I have all the numbers I ever call saved into my phone, I let my finger do the dialing for free. Wink

Pete
  • 7up
  • View Profile
« Reply #14 on 22/10/2009, 16:09 »
I understand what you are saying but since when has ringing back a number using 3 meant the call shows up on the bill as 1471? - I've never seen it before ever and we've used option 3 frequently over the years.
« Reply #15 on 22/10/2009, 19:24 »
They have always charged for the callback, it looks to me as if they have just changed the billing method, after all, this is BT we are talking about and they do love to try confuse us all.

Huh?
Pages: [1] 2
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE