Did you mean: 

FrontPage - Keeping your fp.username website address

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

FrontPage - Keeping your fp.username website address

Afternoon all,
From the Community article here (although I'm about to amend the text).
[quote author=""]10. What will happen to my old fp.username.plus.com address?
It will be switched off, however we are looking into the possibility of allowing customers to redirect FrontPage traffic to the Homepages servers. Please keep an eye on Service Status and our Community Site forums where we’ll announce more details about this as we have them.
We're now able to point your http://fp.username.plus.com website addresses to the homepages servers on request i.e. http://www.username.plus.com
If you would like us to do this then you can raise a ticket using the link here.
Unfortunately we can't point traffic to a third party host however you could set up an HTML redirect or similar on the Homepages platform if you wanted to do this.
Any questions then feel free to shout up.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

20 REPLIES 20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: FrontPage - Keeping your fp.username website address

Are you going to email all the Frontpage users about that? Most won't see you post (or a Service Status announcement).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I intend on sending a follow-up email in a week or so to remind customers that we're going to be decommissioning the service. I'll see if I can pay mention to the redirect in that.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

stonechat
Grafter

This is too little too late
I have already decided to leave because of this fiasco
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Bob
I intend on sending a follow-up email in a week or so to remind customers that we're going to be decommissioning the service. I'll see if I can pay mention to the redirect in that.

A week or so! The latest service status (today) says:
Customers are advised to transfer their websites to an alternative location before October 15th.

That's 9 days time. What point is there emailing people a couple of days before or after the deadline!
This started as a cockup due to a total lack of forward planning and is descending in to utter farce!
martinu
Dabbler

Quote from: stonechat

I'm inclined to agree. PlusNet have made two very big changes without regard for continuity of service: 1) Removing access to Front Page servers; 2) Disabling Telnet access to CGI server without providing a working alternative way to update MySQL tables from CSV files.
The latter is a major headache for my father who runs several database-driven sites which he updates from Excel spreadsheets periodically: since Telnet access (and hence a LOAD DATA INFILE command in MySQL) was withdrawn for security reasons he has been unable to update his sites. PlusNet say "use the import facility of the MyPHPAdmin console, but this does not work", and they do not have the expertise to offer any help. I suspect that there is an implementation issue, possibly due to the correct privileges not being set, because other people on MyPHPAdmin forums (not for PlusNet) say that it normally works fine. The error message is "No data was received to import. Either no file name was submitted, or the
file size exceeded the maximum size permitted by your PHP configuration. See  FAQ 1.16."
I used to recommend PlusNet to my customers (I work as a computer support consultant) but I'd be embarrassed to do so after the web server cockups of the past few weeks. PlusNet used to be a company to be proud of. Now it's just a broadband and email provider, with no experience of hosting database-driven sites.
martinu
Dabbler

Afternoon all,
From the Community article here (although I'm about to amend the text).
[quote author=""]10. What will happen to my old fp.username.plus.com address?
It will be switched off, however we are looking into the possibility of allowing customers to redirect FrontPage traffic to the Homepages servers. Please keep an eye on Service Status and our Community Site forums where we’ll announce more details about this as we have them.

We're now able to point your http://fp.username.plus.com website addresses to the homepages servers on request i.e. http://www.username.plus.com

Visitors to PN customers' FP web sites may have bookmarked URLs to various pages within those sites. What is needed is a means of redirecting the vistors to the corresponding page on the new version on the WWW homepages site.
Is it possible to set up more specific redirections so that fp.user.f9.co.uk/fred redirects to www.user.f9.co.uk/fred but fp.user.f9.co.uk/bill redirects to www.user.f9.co.uk/bill?
What happens if someone navigates to a page in a folder within the fp server such as fp.user.f9.co.uk/fred/folder1/folder2/page.htm - will that return "page not found" or will it redirect to the same place as the top-level fp.user.f9.co.uk redirection?
When a redirection has been set up, will visitors to an fp URL be sent automatically to the www server or will there be a "site has moved" intermediate message to tell people that they need to change their bookmarks?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: martinu
…  PlusNet have made two very big changes without regard for continuity of service: 1) Removing access to Front Page servers; 2) Disabling Telnet access to CGI server without providing a working alternative way to update MySQL tables from CSV files.
The latter is a major headache for my father who runs several database-driven sites which he updates from Excel spreadsheets periodically: since Telnet access (and hence a LOAD DATA INFILE command in MySQL) was withdrawn for security reasons he has been unable to update his sites. PlusNet say "use the import facility of the MyPHPAdmin console, but this does not work", and they do not have the expertise to offer any help. I suspect that there is an implementation issue, possibly due to the correct privileges not being set, because other people on MyPHPAdmin forums (not for PlusNet) say that it normally works fine. The error message is "No data was received to import. Either no file name was submitted, or the file size exceeded the maximum size permitted by your PHP configuration. See  FAQ 1.16."

Using PHP it is possible to load a CSV file into a table as mentioned in the following post:
Quote from: spraxyt
However I think running the command within a PHP program on CCGI should work.
The steps would be
(1) FTP the text file to the same directory as the PHP program
Within the PHP program
(2) Connect to the database
(3) $load_query = "LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'nameoffile.txt' INTO TABLE nameoftable";
(4) $result = mysql_query($load_query);
(5) if ($result) {echo "table loaded successfully";}
    else {echo "loading failed< br / >\n", mysql_error();}
Run the program in the browser as for a normal PHP program.

That relates to using a CSV with fields separated by tabs. By extending the LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE options it is possible to load a comma-separated CSV. What LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE command would be used from the command line?
David
David
stonechat
Grafter

Frankly I am staggered by Plusnet's arrogance inturning these off with no warning
They could very easily kept the subdomain fp.username.com, this would have had much less impact
They just did not listen to us
Connection to my new ISP is on 14th Oct
Need to up your game
James
Grafter

Bye Stonechat.
I hope your migration goes well.
The current issue with FP is not intentional - Bob's posting a service status.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Frankly I am staggered by Plusnet's arrogance inturning these off with no warning

We haven't turned them off with no warning. There is a problem with DNS that we're currently investigating which is why customers' sites might be unavailable at the moment. Keep your eyes peeled for the imminent Service Status post...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

stonechat
Grafter

YOu did not listen
Now belatedly and far too late you are doing something
Get your act together
James
Grafter

Stonechat,
I think you've missed the point (although I'm aware of the decommissioning discussion you've had).
There is an issue that is currently affecting our customer using FrontPage, which Networks are working on currently.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm inclined to agree. PlusNet have made two very big changes without regard for continuity of service: 1) Removing access to Front Page servers; 2) Disabling Telnet access to CGI server without providing a working alternative way to update MySQL tables from CSV files.
The latter is a major headache for my father who runs several database-driven sites which he updates from Excel spreadsheets periodically: since Telnet access (and hence a LOAD DATA INFILE command in MySQL) was withdrawn for security reasons he has been unable to update his sites. PlusNet say "use the import facility of the MyPHPAdmin console, but this does not work", and they do not have the expertise to offer any help. I suspect that there is an implementation issue, possibly due to the correct privileges not being set, because other people on MyPHPAdmin forums (not for PlusNet) say that it normally works fine. The error message is "No data was received to import. Either no file name was submitted, or the
file size exceeded the maximum size permitted by your PHP configuration. See  FAQ 1.16."

You can get around this by using a new phpMyAdmin instance that we've installed. I'm sure I posted about this on the forums somewhere but maybe I didn't as I'm struggling to find the post now. The new phpMyAdmin interface can be found here. On the 16th October, we'll be pointing http://mysql.plus.net at this IP addy.
Is it possible to set up more specific redirections so that fp.user.f9.co.uk/fred redirects to www.user.f9.co.uk/fred but fp.user.f9.co.uk/bill redirects to www.user.f9.co.uk/bill?

Yes, that's exactly what we're offering to do. It's all managed by apache so all your directory structures will be preserved.
What happens if someone navigates to a page in a folder within the fp server such as fp.user.f9.co.uk/fred/folder1/folder2/page.htm - will that return "page not found" or will it redirect to the same place as the top-level fp.user.f9.co.uk redirection?

It would redirect to www.user.f9.co.uk/fred/folder1/folder2/page.htm
When a redirection has been set up, will visitors to an fp URL be sent automatically to the www server or will there be a "site has moved" intermediate message to tell people that they need to change their bookmarks?

Automatically, but remember you do need to request this.
Quote from: jelv

A week or so! The latest service status (today) says:
Customers are advised to transfer their websites to an alternative location before October 15th.

That's 9 days time. What point is there emailing people a couple of days before or after the deadline!

We'll be keeping hold of customers' data for another 30 days after we down Apache on the FrontPage servers in case anybody still needs a copy of their site. Customers will also be able to request the fp subdomain redirection after this date.
The FAQ linked from the email we sent to everybody last month did say this and we've since published details to both the Service Status feed and these forums.
This started as a cockup due to a total lack of forward planning and is descending in to utter farce!

For an utter farce, it's generated *very* few calls and tickets to the support centre considering the amount of FrontPage users we have. Huh
We haven't turned them off with no warning. There is a problem with DNS that we're currently investigating which is why customers' sites might be unavailable at the moment. Keep your eyes peeled for the imminent Service Status post...

Should be back shortly if they're not already, sorry for the hassle.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

You can get around this by using a new phpMyAdmin instance that we've installed. I'm sure I posted about this on the forums somewhere but maybe I didn't as I'm struggling to find the post now. The new phpMyAdmin interface can be found here. On the 16th October, we'll be pointing http://mysql.plus.net at this IP addy.

You did!
<snip>
Am I correct to assume that you reported this over in p.s.customer-feedback too? If so then I understand that you've got things working with the alternative phpMyAdmin instance that I gave you access to.
For the benefit of anybody who is suffering a similar problem, then try accessing phpMyAdmin using the IP address here instead. This is a replacement instance of the platform that we'll be making live over the next week or two.