Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wild variation in throughput speed

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wild variation in throughput speed

I seem to be syncing at fairly decent speeds, around 6 to 7Mbps, which is similar to before the switch to ADSL2+ (though it resyncs quite a bit). e.g.:
(note that end of week 37 was the switch over to ADSL2+).

However I'm getting wide variation in throughput, and it's rarely near the sync speed except at way off peak times.
I know throughput does vary with peak traffic, but before ADSL2+ I was still generally getting around 5Mbps even at peak times on a speed tester. Now it drops to 0.5Mbps often (like now), can climb to 6ish off peak, and often hovers around 1.5Mbps. Which is pretty poor compared to before.
e.g.
Today at 7.50pm

19th at 9.58pm

19th at 8.28am

18th at 10.02pm

and some via mybroadbandspeed...
Today 20:05 398 kbps (49.8kB/s) 461 kbps (57.6kB/s)
Saturday 10:04 852 kbps (107kB/s) 650 kbps (81.3kB/s)
Saturday 10:03 1566 kbps (196kB/s) 647 kbps (80.9kB/s)
Friday 21:16 508 kbps (63.5kB/s) 578 kbps (72.3kB/s)

Nothing running on my network as far as I know that could be zapping it so much.
18 REPLIES 18
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Wild variation in throughput speed

from those speedtests it looks like the main problem is in the evening ?
Do you get just slow speeds in the evening? in which case it could be your telephone exchange is at/reaching capacity.
deadkenny
Rising Star

It looks like it's morning/evening related, but before the switch to ADSL2+ just the other week, I was getting throughput in the evenings much nearer to my line speed. For a standard web download and/or streaming that is.
Now I can't even use BBC iPlayer in the evening because the throughput is so poor. Even BBC's diagnostic page shows that.
If it is the exchange, it would have to be a very recent change and suddenly become extremely saturated in the evening. To me I'd consider it a fault that requires fixing (with a boost in capacity).

But indeed, this morning...

Much higher than I ever used to get, but what's the use with that if I'm going to get 0.5Mbps to 1Mbps in the evening? !! Not really what I expected.

Sad
matt_2k34
Grafter

To me I'd consider it a fault that requires fixing

Yep ! and if its a speed fault then BT should already know about it, Could be a higher than expected amount on the adsl2+ platform - or your contended against alot of heavy users.
Im assuming wifi is off? (just incase)
deadkenny
Rising Star

Worst yet

P.S. I've tried it with and without wifi, same results.

Even BBC iPlayer in standard def is hopeless with this.
James
Grafter

@DK
What's it like today now that the order has completed?
deadkenny
Rising Star

Haven't been able to test it during the day, but this evening there's an improvement but still seems quite a way off. Mostly getting between 1.5 and 2Mbps, though got a peak at 2.3.
Current:

I'm synced at just below 6Mbps now. I tried a reboot and it took a long time to sync properly, with constant disconnects and I could hear crackling noise on the line. This might be related to an ongoing issue though I've had for ages where I get this sometimes (solution to which seems to be to make a phone call and it often resolves itself !). Anyway, it's settled now and giving me 6 down and 440k up. A little lower than before but if I was getting about 5Mbps throughput it would be about the same as prior to ASDL2+.
James
Grafter

Well it's an improvement at least.
I take it that you're getting in the region of 5Mbps in the morning?
Worth noting that BTR have just started offering 20Mbps to all of their userbase.  Would make logical sense to assume that the exchanges need a little bit more juice.
deadkenny
Rising Star

I rarely get a chance to test in the morning, but so far I seem to get much nearer 5Mb then. As above, 7.24 once which may be the highest I've ever had! (that was when I was syncing at a better rate).
Sadly work gets in the way of things during the day so I can't take advantage of it Sad Wink
And yeah, I've heard the adverts on the radio about the "up to 20Mbps" from BT. I did have a leaflet through the door from them also saying I was currently on 6Mbps and could get "up to 20Mbps" if I switched to BT.
Dubious about their claim that it will provide consistently faster speeds, even at peak times. Hmm, what I'm seeing is consistently lower at peak time than before ADSL2+ !
deadkenny
Rising Star

Looking better. I seem to be getting around 2 to 3Mbps morning or evening, with some fluctuation.
Not perfect as I was up in the range suitable for HD streaming on BBC iPlayer before the switch, but more stable and usable.
deadkenny
Rising Star

Was looking better yesterday evening

But then oh dear...

I guess Sunday evening is probably the worst time, but really, 0.3Mbps!
Fletch
Grafter

@deadkenny.  We believe this is an issue at your exchange (Bracknell), we are waiting for BTW to confirm.  Should have more information for you tomorrow.
Fletch
deadkenny
Rising Star

Hi, thanks for the update. Though I'm on the Woking exchange I believe, Bracknell is quite a distance! Or does it route through Bracknell anyway?
Fletch
Grafter

Embarrassed - Let me check again!
James
Grafter

Fletch is confusing this with the other issue he's been talking with me about Wink
Sunday evenings should generally be okay - not 100% what's causing this, but it would suggest exchange congestion.