Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 security issue

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thomson TG585 security issue

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/01/buggy_o2_routers/
"The flaw resides in two custom-built devices O2 gets from router manufacturer Thomson. Both the TG585n, and the TG585, known respectively as the O2 Wireless Box III and the O2 Wireless Box II, suffer from the bug. Subscribers of other ISPs that use the device are also likely to be exposed to the same threat."   Shocked
It looks like it relies on the fact that most people leave the Internal IP address (192.168.1.254) of the router as the default, and that often the user and password are left as blanks.
If you wish to change it, and delete the old default IP do the following:
Go to the Home Network menu
Click on Interfaces
Click on Local Network where it appears in the main "Window"
Click on Configure
You can then add,change and delete the IP addresses associated with your router on your local network.
If you wish to change the user ID/Password you use to login to the Web Interface its located on the Toolbox menu under User Management.
37 REPLIES 37
Richchad
Rising Star

Re: Thomson TG585 security issue

I have just received an email from PN suggesting I change the username &  password, so where do I find the default password, and no mention of how to change username?
Also should I delete the IP address and leave it blank?    Huh
Need clearer instructions...    Embarrassed
SteveA
Pro

You can't delete the IP but if you do add a new one you need to remove the original otherwise the router will still respond to it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just been looking in the manual.
It looks to be a bit complicated to change the user however just changing the password should suffice providing you do two things as well.
1. Don't allow the browser to save  the changed password
2.. After you've done this, if someone tries to attack your router, you will be prompted to enter your Administrator Password. Don’t do it, otherwise the attack will be successful. … (We’d like to think that most people wouldn’t enter their username and password for a random unexpected login prompt)
Note that the reason for not saving the password is that an attack would just use the saved password to get straight into the router
I think the default password is blank - i.e. there isn't one
zubel
Community Veteran

SteveA
Pro

I actually went to user admin and created a new user and then deleted the default admin account.
Not that I'm paranoid but ..  Cheesy
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Not a good start. The link goes to:

Home » Page not found
Uh oh!
Sorry, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please use the search form to find what you're looking for.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

It opened OK for me.
Energydon

Unfortunately the link in the e-mail sent out doesn't work, but takes you to a Plus net "Uh Oh!" page (Error 404 to the webbies). Sad
Quote from: Barry
http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/changing-the-default-password-on-a-thomson-585v7/ should be linked in the email sent out. 

And although I have been using PCs for 25 years, I still didn't understand the advice on what to do.  Where was the Home Network menu?  I'm using Windows XP (showing my age, perhaps) but couldn't find anything helpful in Control Panel.  In fact, I then realised that if you put the Router IP address into Internet Explorer/Firefox/Chrome/Opera it should come up.  The rest of the instructions then make sense - note that if you don't know what the password was before, then it was probably blank - so don't enter anything for the old password.
If changing the password (or setting one up) beware that passwords and user names are case sensitive.  Make a careful note of whether or not it is "administrator" or "Administrator" that is your default user, otherwise it may not let you in again!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

[Moderator's post by Jim (Oldjim) Hi,
I have merged the thread started by PhyllisTyne into this one.
If possible can we try to keep all discussions on this problem here to avoid giving me too much work in merging and moving threads.
Thank you in advance ]
mal0z
Grafter

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The link had a slight 'hiccup', it's sorted now and should work fine. There is also a support article on the www.plus.net website www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/t585v7_changepass.shtml, some of the later emails sent will have this instead of the support library article.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Although I use the Thomson 4-port (585v7) wireless router supplied by plusnet I only ever use it via a wire to a single computer so do I still need to change the password ?
To be honest I can't remember if I used a password to set it up or not and if I did them I am stuck as I have no idea  what it is. Is their any way of finding out ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
tobykim
Grafter

Yes you still need to change it
Cordless

Just tried it. Didn't work. Couldn't get past the user/login/save windows. They kept re-appearing and I couldn't access my router setup page. Have just done a factory reset to return to the previous working condition. YMMV.