Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frontpage access disabled 28/08

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Frontpage access disabled 28/08

@steed, we're planning on turning the FrontPage Apache instance off on Monday (19th October). All being well I hope to send an email reminder tomorrow. We're currently in the process of removing all FrontPage references from the support pages which I expect will have been done by close of play today.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The date we're switching things off has now slipped to Wednesday. We're also in the process of sending out the following reminder email:
Your username: {username}

Dear {real_name},
You are receiving this email as you currently have an active FrontPage account on our web servers.
If you *don't* use our FrontPage service then you can ignore this email as it doesn't apply to you.
If you *do* use our FrontPage service then please read the important notice that follows.
We recently emailed you to announce our plans to decommission our FrontPage service, if you missed our original announcements regarding this then you can see a copy of them over on our Service Status feed.
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1251473759.htm
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1252688219.htm
The original email stated that we were looking to decommission the service on or around the 15th October 2009. However to avoid the service being terminated ahead of a weekend we have decided instead to switch the platform off this coming Wednesday 21st October. This means that our support team will be more readily available should you need their assistance. If you haven't done so already, you need to ensure that you have transferred your website to an alternative location before this date.
Publishing access is still disabled so if you need a copy of your website then please follow the instructions contained in the FAQ located here -
http://community.plus.net/frontpage-decommissioning-faq-11th-september-2009/
We'll keep hold of this data for 30 days after the servers have been switched off, so you'll have until the 21st November to request a copy of your website should you need to.
When the servers are switched off on Wednesday, your http://fp.username.plus.com or equivalent address will cease to work, and will instead return a 404 page cannot be found error.
To stop this happening, some customers have already asked that we repoint the address to our normal Homepages webspace servers. If you would like to request this yourself then please refer to the FAQ linked above. Please note that we can only point the 'fp' address to our Homepages servers and *not* to any other web hosting company.
If you have any questions about the information contained in this email then please ask over on our Community Site forums where we'll be happy to help - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,6.0.html
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Plusnet Customer Support
www.plus.net
This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from Plusnet. Please do not reply to this email, as it has been sent from an unmonitored address.
--
Plusnet PLC
Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
Registered in England no: 3279013

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Service: Web Space & FTP
Posted: Wed, Oct 21 2009 at 17:14:48
Subject: Planned FrontPage Maintenance - UPDATE
This is an update to the announcement we published yesterday about the planned
Frontpage maintenance work that was scheduled to take place tomorrow morning. You
can see a copy of the original post here -
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1256056078.htm
Unfortunately this work has had to be postponed due to unforeseen circumstances. We
will post a revised announcement once we've decided on a new maintenance window,
however FrontPage-hosted websites will not be switched off tomorrow as was
originally communicated.
Please accept our apologies for any confusion.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support
derekmines

So, FPSE having now been disabled, and my site now residing on the standard Plusnet servers?
How do I go about updating it?
I'm obviously still using Front Page to write the site, so I'm assuming that I need to change the fp.domainname.plus.com to something else?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This might help.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Right, we're aiming to turn Apache off this coming Thursday. This means that customers' FrontPage sites will no longer be accessible unless they've uploaded a copy of their site to our Homepages servers and asked that we point the fp.username.plus.com address to it.
From here:
[quote author="Service Status"]Planned FrontPage Maintenance - Thursday 26th November 9.00am-Midday
Web Space & FTP
Posted on: Monday 23 November 2009, 16:43
When's this work happening?
This Thursday, 26th November.
What does it affect?
Access to customers' FrontPage-hosted websites.
How long will it take?
About an hour.
What does the work involve?
We will be switching off our FrontPage web servers and disabling access to them via our load balancers. The decision to do this was announced back in September and all FrontPage customers should already have received advance notice of this work by email - http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1252688219.htm
Is it likely to cause problems?
Yes, customers will no longer be able to access their FrontPage-hosted websites at the address fp.username.plus.com (or equivalent) unless they have previously requested that we repoint traffic for this address to our normal Homepages FTP servers.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Further information about the decommissioning of our FrontPage service can be found here - http://community.plus.net/frontpage-decommissioning-faq-11th-september-2009/
Whilst customers websites will no longer be accessible, we will keep a copy of their data should they require a copy of this during the next thirty days.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apache has now been turned off so with the exception of those who requested we redirect traffic to the Homepages servers, customers FrontPage hosted websites will no longer be visible.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

derekmines

^^^^^ Just discovered that after deciding to check out your instructions for moving the site.
After spending a while in FrontPage XP to find the options that you mention in the document I've discovered that there's some part of my index.html page that the Plusnet non-FP servers dislike.
I have run out of time to mess about further, so have bought myself a catalyst2 reseller account (after confirming that they have no plans to discontinue FP support ("why would we.... our customers want it")) Will be moving my domain shortly.
Thanks for your help Bob, looks like my association with Plusnet was not meant to last more than 10 years!!