Saturday 20th December 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

Speedtouch 716 as an ATA

« on 17/08/2009, 00:09 »
As an experiment I bought a speedtouch 716 very cheaply on e-bay from Digidave., and with the help of advice from http://www.cableforum.co....eedtouch-as-voip-ata.html have configured it as a VOIP ATA behind my Netgear router. After some fiddling about with phone cables (it uses the centre pins) it works a treat. I can either use a standard phone handset for VOIP or for standard PSTN calls by dialling a prefix all without the PC up and running.

However, the other three Ethernet ports on the router are  configured as a separate private network (192.168.0.XXX). Any machine connected to them gets an IP address in this range and connects to the internet fine.  But I want to connect a printer to one of these ports and have it accessible from my LAN (10.0.0.XXX). My IP routing and NAT configuration skills are apparently not sufficient to enable me to do this.

Does anyone have a pointer to the configuration details for a speedtouch that will allow additional "public" (the 10.0.0.XXX) addresses to be transparently routed to and from the local network (192.168.0.XXX) behind the speedtouch. Turning off NAT and DHCP does not seem to be an option as it disables the VOIP client.

Any pointers gratefully received.
« Reply #1 on 17/08/2009, 08:41 »
Turning off NAT and DHCP does not seem to be an option
Well you definitely want NAT and DHCP only on your primary router!.
Looking at the 716 manual, on the DHCP server page, it has a DHCP relay. Have you tried disabling DHCP server and then enabling DHCP relay and putting in the address of your Netgear router.
Alternatively why not use the 716 as the primary router and configure the Netgear ( I presume wireless ) as an access point with its DHCP & NAT turned off.
What model is the Netgear ?

« Reply #2 on 17/08/2009, 11:40 »
Thanks MisterW. Which manual (web reference?) are you looking at. The user guide I'm using makes no mention of DHCP Relaying.

I don't want to switch the 716 and the Netgear (DG834GT with DGTeam firmware), because I use the DGTeam firmware to tweak (very sucessfully) the SNR settings on the Netgear. With tweaking I can hold a BRAS profile of 5500 for weeks at a time, without it I drop to 4500 as soon as the router resyncs at night.

As it stands the 716 gets its public address (10.0.0.x) from the Netgear, and supplies "local" ones (192.168.0.X) to devices behind it. I bought it to use as a VOIP ATA (at <9 delivered it's a bargain) but it would tidy up my network wiring a bit if I could make one of the spare ports visible on the 10.0.0.X network. It seems to be possible to give the the 716 multiple "public"  IP addresses - at least if I do so from the CLI they appear as connected devices on the Netgear. I simply lack the skills/knowledge to route/NAT them inside the Speedtouch.

This experiment has now moved from a "wouldn't it be nice if..." to a "this thing is not going to beat me..." !!!

Thanks again
« Reply #3 on 17/08/2009, 12:09 »
I downloaded the user guide from here http://www.speedtouch.nl/docs/ST716g_UserGuide.pdf.
I'll have a look at the CLI over lunch and see what I can glean from it...
« Reply #4 on 17/08/2009, 12:45 »
Ok, if the DHCP relay facility isnt in the Web interface then you can do it from the CLI.

'dhcp relay add' on page 115 of the CLI manual.

I'm not sure whether the voip client will be able to get its IP via DHCP relay though. That could be why it disabled it when you turned off DHCP. Disabling NAT shouldnt be a problem since its only translating between the DSL interface and the local network ports. You will probably need to experiment with some of the DHCP trace and debug options from the CLI  to see if you can get the internal Voip client to get an IP with the internal DHCP server disabled.
Hope that helps.
« Reply #5 on 17/08/2009, 14:17 »
Thanks, for your efforts. the GUI on my router ( a V5 ) is much sparser than the one described in your manual. Thanks for the thoughts on DHCP relay, I will settle down with the CLI manual and see what I can deduce. Routed DHCP is available from the CLI ( I just checked). So I will try again. Thanks.
« Reply #6 on 17/08/2009, 22:07 »
Just to close the issue, I took the (relatively) easy way out.

I configured the DHCP server on the 716 to always give the same address to the printer. Added a fixed IP address to the WAN interface on the 716 and implemented a fixed bi-directional NAT mapping between the two. Works like a charm.

I get the impression from the CLI manual that if you know what you are doing the Speedtouch can do almost anything. But I don't have the skills or the time to work it out.
« Reply #7 on 24/08/2009, 17:33 »
Just to close the issue, I took the (relatively) easy way out.
 I configured the DHCP server on the 716 to always give the same address to the printer. I get the impression from the CLI manual that if you know what you are doing the Speedtouch can do almost anything.

Not bad for a wireless router that cost less than 1

I brought 6 this time at 99p each plus p&p

puddy
VoIP Equipment 
Siemens Gigaset C460ip + 5 handsets
  Grandstream GXP2000 Yealink vp-2009
     Nokia N95 N900 N8 Nexus7 16gb 2 X Samsung Galaxy G2/G3/G4/G5? (voip) Samsung Galaxy S 8GB Wi-Fi MP3 Player (voip) Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Draytek 2710Vn router
 voip accounts plusnet draytel sipgate & Coms.com
        http://www.puddy.co.uk  For Boeing & Airbus news
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE