cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitTorrent

Ottmar
Grafter

BitTorrent

I recently switched from Eclipse to PlusNet Unlimited package. I had a 1Mbit deal with Eclipse that enabled me to max out the downpipe using uTorrent all day if I chose. I rarely did, scheduling about half the pipe for uTorrent between 8am & 10pm and then maxing the connection over night.
Given the numbers publicised http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#unlimitedspeeds, I thought that I'd be able to achieve better downloads on +net, given the "Line Speed" between midnight and midday.  Oh how wrong I was.
I've got three torrents all with over 200 seeders and 300 leechers that have been downloading for three days now, and are at around 50%. I get an occasional burst up to a couple of megabits for a few seconds, but other than that it's either 0 or between 0.1 to 0.6 kBytes/s. I haven't stayed up all night, but a couple of times I have been up at 1am the numbers have been much the same.
I could've downloaded the torrents several times over on Eclipse.
I'm getting good connect speeds and reasonable pings. But I'm beginning to wonder what use a fast connection is when quite apart from BitTorrent, any downloads are glacial compared to what I'm used to. Even streaming BBC news is "jerkier" than I'm used to. What on earth is happening?
Not a happy bunny.
27 REPLIES 27
James
Grafter

Re: BitTorrent

Hi Ottmar,
We've seen a number of Usenet complaints recently, not dissimilar to yours.
We're currently looking at adding another 155Mbps segment next week and another one about 3 weeks down the line.
We'll post on the front page of the Community Site when these are added.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried restricting the BitTorrent upload speed - I've seen that improve things a bit.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ottmar
Grafter

Well, thanks for you speedy reply. I'll await the outcome with interest.
Ottmar
Grafter

Jelv, yes, I've tried all the recommendations I've found after extensive research & experimentation.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Overnight as well?
For the reasons James posted I wouldn't expect much during the day, but between 1am and 7am I'd of thought you should be able to get reasonable speeds.
Ottmar
Grafter

Yes, overnight as well.
For the reasons James posted  what reasons?
It's not just BitTorrent though. I did an iTunes update the other day - glad I didn't have to hold my breath while it downloaded.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77971.msg629680.html#msg629680
It looks like they are short of capacity at the moment.
Ottmar
Grafter

A question for PlusNet staff...
Are PlusNet managing the network reactively rather that proactively? If you are, will this be the status quo - that is will we have to suffer periodic drops in service until more bandwidth is added?
Where do we stand under the sale of goods act, with reference to the previous questions?.
James
Grafter

We budget for planned capacity growth in line with projected customer growth and have planned dates for when we add further capacity.  There are instances where we have to accelerate this growth, in occasions such as now.
I'm not in a position to be able to give you legal advice I'm afraid.
jayed
Grafter

I always understood that bittorrent/usenet/download sites/streaming were throttled under plusnet. It definitely said it when I signed up. I'm currently trying to download World of Warcraft using their Blizzard's client and other than my line being slowed for other reasons it appears to be maxing it out. I'm not too sure how World of Warcraft's servers work though. I'd understood it was torrentlike but I could be wrong.
Ottmar
Grafter

I too understood that BitTorrent would be throttled at certain times. The link I included in an earlier post confirms this. However the midnight to midday speed is supposed to be "line speed" which should mean the torrents I queue should be completed during this un-throttled period. I do understand that even during these times, BitTorrent traffic will be treated to a low priority on +net's network. Nevertheless, the torrents are not gigabytes in size and should complete to enable me to work on the data the next day.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
There's other factors with BitTorrent that just the network capacity and traffic management. The speed you can download at is determined by how fast other people are uploading, how many are uploading and how many others are downloading at the time. Also local settings like your upload speed, and port forwarding setup can have an effect. And if anything else is being used on your connection at the time. The priority of the traffic is not only determined on the network but on your individual connection as well. Download over P2P and browse the web or play a game at the same time and that traffic will automatically get a higher priority than the P2P.
I'd make sure your upload speed is set to at most 50% of your maximum upload speed, make sure the port you are using for BitTorrent is forwarded on your router and firewall and it's probably also worth trying different torrents from different sources and see what speeds they give. On the Unlimited product there's no reason you shouldn't get full speeds overnight on a P2P download (might not be on the dot of midnight just because everyone starts their downloads at the same time), we have plenty of users that do get 6Mbps+ speeds on P2P overnight and some on the 21CN trial getting over double that.
I am currently re-reviewing our capacity management plans, the next segment is just waiting on BT doing the necessary and the one after should be delivered in the middle of next month so long as there are no hitches with moving customers back from the Tiscali LLU platform. We have dates pencilled in for the rest of the financial year and beyond based on what we expect the customer base to be, what the mix of products is and what the usage will be like and trigger points and KPIs that say whether or not those dates need shifting around such as the level of performance customers see, what our reporting shows, whether the mix of customers change or we get a change in signup numbers or signups to different products, etc.
One of the factors that I think doesn't help is trying to keep the network balanced. A lot of people have noticed that just changing gateway can lead to very dramatic changes in performances particularly for P2P and Usenet. Which fits in with a lot of things, in managing the bandwidth we have to have the right amount in total of course but having the right amount in the right place, or rather keeping the customer mix right on each central pipe is getting harder and harder.
You may have noticed that we've done more load balancing on the DSL platform recently than before, simply because this is the most effective tool in getting the mix of customers right. We can add more new sessions to a single gateway if it's under utilised, e.g. after a drop, but you don't get the right mix of customers, you get a big percentage of active customers all using gold and titanium traffic and a small percentage of idle customers or customers just using P2P and usenet mainly because it's people connecting because they want to do something then and there.
So a question I'll throw open, to try and help keep the network better balanced would you think it would be a good idea for us to do a weekly or twicely weekly regular session of load balancing? We can schedule it to happen out of hours and ensure we don't disconnect certain groups of customers (for example business users are excluded normally) but this could help in a big way in keeping the network in balance.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
scootie
Grafter

So a question I'll throw open, to try and help keep the network better balanced would you think it would be a good idea for us to do a weekly or twicely weekly regular session of load balancing? We can schedule it to happen out of hours and ensure we don't disconnect certain groups of customers (for example business users are excluded normally) but this could help in a big way in keeping the network in balance.

its a gd idea but you might get customers that have auto downloads still going at the early hours of the morning and this balcing could stop these downloads and the customer is not there restart them at this time of day thus seeing complaints on here that p[lusnet are robbing them off free usage time.
it wouldnt be problem for me as am night owl anyway  Wink
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Ottmar
... we have to suffer periodic drops in service until more bandwidth is added?
Where do we stand under the sale of goods act, with reference to the previous questions?.

A slightly grey area to be honest, but the rules are mostly on your side. So lets say this becomes a frequent problem, and 'your product is not working as advertised/sold by PN', if you really found PN to be unreliable, I suspect a few tickets and PM to the right member so Comms Staff  would get you released from any contract period, but you may have deferred costs to be paid, which I would say is still fair. This is Plan A.
If that did not happen, we have Plan B, the onus would be on you to give some estimate for how bad the service has become. For example, could you give an estimate of how many days/month or days/year you believe the service is not performing as advertised/sold? The onus would be on you to make sure your facts are accurate and backed up with data and PN should make some of this information available to you too. So could if you found the service was poor for 3 days per 30 day month, you could ask for a 10% cut in your monthly charges for each month you believe you have suffered substandard service.
Plan B involves a lot of hassle, Plan A would always be the preferred route, which is ask nicely and have an amicable split.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed