cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

After a brief search around the internet, I found that this seems to be a common issue.
Use Automatic IP and DNS on the xbox 360 and on the PC and the PS3 and any other device. dont set any IP addresses. Then use the AUTO IP and AUTO DCHP on the router to assign the pc, xbox 360, PS3 etc with an IP address. once its all happy and all the devices have an address just tick "always use same address" box in configuration. that way everything ends up having the same IP address all the time and now the NAT is OPEN Cheesy didnt need to open any ports or anything.

That's from a Speedtouch support forum (http://www.speedtouch.net.nz/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=937)
Hope that helps.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
llennoc
Grafter

Not really, I tried all of that and got no joy but thanks for trying.
However... the one thing I didn't try which just occurred to me is to reset my XBox's network settings to factory defaults and then reconfigure them back again, sounds daft but it worked! - I haven't changed *anything* on either the router or the XBox. I also renamed it (gave it a new host name - even though it was the same as before). In doing so, either the XBox or the Thompson 'woke up' and I guess used UnPnP to re-negotiate the connection... and... I got open NAT! It seems in doing so, it's forgotten my port forwarding settings, so it's obviously just using UPnP to negotiate it. Why on earth it would require me to factory reset both the router and the XBox to get them to handshake properly... I'll never know. Roll_eyes
Still think the Thompson is a bit rubbish in comparison but if it works, it works. I'll soak test it for a few weeks... cheers.
EDIT: btw, once I got UPnP to work, I didn't need any forwarding rules either.

artificer
Grafter

i bought a thompson 780 dirt cheap on ebay as it's aerial was broken.  compared with my netgear (to which i have reverted), the interface is primitive; telnet in this day and age!?
the best interface i have seen so far was for a buffalo.  the netgear could do with improvement and i've heard good things about linksys.  dlink i have no experience of, but if it has a fully configurable gui, i'd prefer it over the thompson any day.
i thing the thompson router is cheap and nasty.
llennoc
Grafter

Yeah I had a Thompson before - two in fact. I can't remember the numbers (500 ish). One was an old ADSL and the other was ADSL2 - a slightly more recent model. The one PlusNet have given me seems to be a bit better and I have managed to operate it with the web gui now I have the instructions.
The endless problems I had with the old ones put me right off and I have to say I'm still not convinced it works properly. Setting the port forwaridng rules *should* have worked. Instead I had to reset the XBox and use UPnP to connect my XBox.
I've heard very polarised reviews of Netgear all over the internet. I was looking around for a new router. It seems for almost every router there's a least one review saying 'it gets a bit too hot and locks up'. This seems to be a serious issue with 'cheap' routers -making them not so suitable for 'allways on ADSL'. Manufacturors obsession with making kits smaller and smaller seems to be at the cost of overheating. If only they put a decent heat sink and fan on them...  Roll_eyes
artificer
Grafter

doesn't need a fan, but plenty of 'elbow room' for the circuit board helps air circulation.  my netgear has been going well since 2005 and i only swapped it out for the thompson to try it.  when my speeds gradually decreased and then the router locked me out, i put the netgear back online and my speeds are back up to par.
i've also heard horror stories about netgear and i can't recommend their forum, so a replacement, when needed, will be from a different manufacturer.
llennoc
Grafter

Hmm... just noticed my Thompson is red hot and the speeds I'm getting have dropped from 5/6 Meg to 2....  Undecided
EDIT: working now, after 3 days of restarting the modem - which forces BT's software to re-grade the line, or something... ?!
llennoc
Grafter

THIS SUCKS!!!  Angry
After rebouting the router to get BT's crappy line-synching software to regrade my line back to a 5Meg connection (which finally worked) it seems that somehow my router has forgotten all about the UPnP settings for my XBox - I'm back on strict NAT again!
So I tried repeatedly setting the XBox back to it's default network settings to try and get the router to talk to it via UPnP again, rebooted the router - several times, rebooted everything, did a rain dance, you name it... I even had another go at setting up port forwarding. NOTHING.
Seems to me like UPnP is broken on Thompson routers, sometimes it works, just randomly and then other times it doesn't. I don't buy that PlusNet bought the Thompsons because they were better than the D-Link - I think they were just cheaper.... and it shows.
Looks like I am going to have to buy my own router and try and sell this piece of  CRAP that PlusNet swapped for my original one. PlusNet have totally screwed me over here.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi
Might be worth trying the latest version of the Thomson firmware (note this is currently in beta) and see if it fixes the issues, I know that this does fix something with uPnP but I can't remember exactly what the problem is at this second:
http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,6663.0/topicseen.html
(you might have to register to download the file). The flash tool is a bit further down the page, make sure you click have disk during the install and select the file Bob's linked to. You'll need to update the firmware wired rather than wireless and connected to port 1 of the router.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Dave - can't get to that board even signed into the forums, is it available to PUG members only?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hmm, maybe it's permission based, will have to check tomorrow.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Yup!  That board has a restricted access to those doing the trials on the Thomson router - currently PUG / Plusnet staff only.  There are currently no details on just which reported problems on the 585 have been fixed, though there are some 'tales' that uPNP is one of them.   

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

llennoc
Grafter

Well, I think a refund for the old Thompson router would be the decent thing for PlusNet to do. Come on!  Shocked You sold me this service as 100% XBox live compatible - clearly it is NOT if the router you supply me with doesn't do port-forwarding or UPnP properly!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@llennoc, I've just sent you a PM.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

llennoc
Grafter

I just tried the latest version of the Thompson (beta) firmware... no joy. UPnP still doesn't work and neither does setting firewall rules for the XBox. I did try a new router and that worked fine (Belkin) but unfortunately it's prone to locking up and disconnecting, like the other 2 routers I've had. I've even had my IP address changed in case it was a DDoS attack or something.
I'm now on my 4th (Thompson) router, with no UPnP, awaiting technical supports reply....  Sad
llennoc
Grafter

Disconnections have stopped it seems, after fitting a BT line filter and swapping the modem. However, still not Open NAT for XBox.
I am currently battling with support to get them to either offer a solution or wave any costs incurred by me from switching ISPs. I'm seriously unimpressed by your service.  Angry