cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seem to have both static & dynamic IPs

Mav
Fixes: 514

Seem to have both static & dynamic IPs

There are two Static IP links within the Connection Settings page (photo 1).
The first links to a page informing me that I have a dymanic IP address (photo 2).
The second lists my static IPs (photo 3).
WhatsMyIP.org shows that it's the static being used. Should I worry about this and can it be connected to the 21CN change-over that happened on Wednesday?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

16 REPLIES 16
Mav

Re: Seem to have both static & dynamic IPs

I don't normally bump my own posts but I am wondering if there is an answer to the above.
Smiley
Edit:
One of the reasons this is concerning me is that I am being stopping from a download as I get a message that my IP is already downloading a file - which is isn't.
The IP block I have starts with 80.229.xx.xxx but the IP stopping the download is 212.159.x.xxx. A search on the full IP address shows it, too, belongs to PlusNet.
A who is search does show the static IP.
Perhaps this query should be back in the Community Support forum? What do the mods think?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suggest raising a ticket, I think the CSC need to sort out the anomalies on your account.
David
David
Mav

Thanks for the reply David.
I have raised a ticket (#28878100) including the screen shots above.
Cheers.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I don't think the error you are getting when downloading is related to the images you've posted TBH.
We've seen similar issues in the past, for example if you are downloading from somewhere like RapidShare then it's highly like it's passing through our IWF Proxy and therefore will be hitting RapidShare from that IP address.
Can you put the full error (including IP)  you get from the download site and which site it is on your ticket? This should help us narrow it down easier.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

In addition, where did you click to get the message you show in image 2? (Dynamic IP)
Was that on the extra Static IP icon that was showing in your member centre? If so I've removed that icon now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mav

The extra icon has no disappeared.
But why was it there showing both static and dynamic and was/is there some form of conflict between addresses going on?
I have updated the above ticket as requested.

Chris
Legend

But why was it there showing both static and dynamic and was/is there some form of conflict between addresses going on?

It's due to the way we use 'components' to add items to accounts. Your account had both an 8 IP block and a single static IP component, the 8 block was active and the static one unconfigured. These map to the icons on the portal you could see, as the single static one was unconfigured that component assumed you must have a dynamic IP as it has no knowledge of the IP block.
It won't have been causing any conflicts between addresses.
I have updated the above ticket as requested.

I've had a quick look at your account and can see that the IP address you provided in the error is indeed one of our IWF cache boxes.
I'm not sure what can be done about this but I'll raise a problem for it. It might well be that we have to wait until the site are removed from the IWF list.
Mav

Quote from: Chris
I've had a quick look at your account and can see that the IP address you provided in the error is indeed one of our IWF cache boxes.

Just wondering why it should be reporting as my IP when, clearly, it is not? Is this a problem with the download site or something other issue.
BTW what is an IWF cache box?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/12/11/our-iwf-implementation/
The server you are downloading from must be suspected of hosting dodgy content.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

But, surely, being in one of the IWF cache boxes that assumes that the IP address I am downloading from is dodgy and not the IP address that the site is reporting as mine?
The site is uploading.com and I have previously (some time ago) not had problems with it.
If it is now suspected of hosting such content as addressed by the IWF then I will give it a wide berth.
Thanks for the heads up.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If where you are downloading from is on the list, your request is rerouted via the IWF box. This then carries out more checks and if all is OK passes the request on. It therefore appears to the website as if your request has come from Plusnet's IWF box. This will apply to all Plusnet customers going to the server hence the already downloading message and it reporting your IP as the IWF box.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

Thanks jelv.
That's made it clearer to understand.

Mav

Once again I have two Static IP Icons within the Connection Settings are of the Member Centre.
As before, one informs me I have  a dynamic IP address the other the 8 block Static. I don't want to lose the 8 block static but would like the erroneous icon to be removed again if possible.
Cheers.
N.B. I'm away from home at the moment so can't confirm the actual IP address used now is from the 8 block.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mav, that should be sorted now - please let me know if not, ta.