Friday 19th September 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1] 2

Homebrew 2 Meter Antennas

« on 18/04/2009, 20:19 »
I know there are a few of us on the forum who are indeed Ham radio operators or are involved with radiocommunications - I've been licensed since 1992 with my G7 callsign

As I'm in rented accommodation, installing a full-scale scaffold pole with lots of antennae dotted around the garden is a bit of a no-no, not to mention SWMBO wouldn't be impressed, so I'm now relegated to using a Yaesu VX-170 Handie in the car with a nice commercial 2M whip on the back - My Dual band 2M/70cm Yaesu FT8500 decided to die on me with the VHF output. Because the rig is 7 or 8 years old, I've been told it would be prohibitively expensive to repair, even though the UHF side is fine Sad

I remember in my first days as a ham, a friend of mine, Keith G0PTT helped me to build a variation on the "J" Pole design, however, it looked more like a complete loop with a tuning stub made from threaded rod and a nut soldered to the bottom part of the J.

I know there are loads of designs out there on the net, but I wondered if someone has any ideas on something simple and small for 2M with a reasonable amount of gain that I can either screw to the side of the house facia mounted on 1/2" PVC tubing or hide up in the loft and run some RG58 into the Garage so I can sit in the garage, plug the handie in and have decent QSO. I have access to plenty of 3/8" chromed copper tubing, 1/2" PVC pipe and RG58 coax and can build to any given drawing,, I know I should be able to do this myself, but it has been a long time and I can't find my antenna design book..

Cheers,

Roger - G7LMY

« Last Edit: 18/04/2009, 20:22 by Chemical Brother »

Formerly a Plusnet Moderator
« Reply #1 on 18/04/2009, 21:47 »
Well a simple Slim Jim type would be easiest but like you I haven't seem my antenna book for a LONG time  Grin
But depends on the gain you need. They are about 3-5Db from memory (not the best source  Smiley)

Ken GM1JLP (Licensed in '82 I think it was  Shocked)
Not actually active on radio for quite a while (But I was/am the author of TPK-7 for Dos and Winp-7 for Windows going back to the late 90's)
DRM is to rights management like DDT is to pest management.
Happy Linux Mint User. Check it out at www.linuxmint.com for a COMPLETELY FREE OS.
« Reply #2 on 18/04/2009, 22:00 »
Hey Ken Smiley

That's exactly what it was now you've mentioned it.. a slim jim!! I had one in my early days and had a old converted fire service storno handheld

And I also used to use TPK-7 and Winp-7 on my packet days, that's when I was living at home and could pretty much do what I wanted lol

Now looking at slim jim designs....

73 OM DE G7LMY
  • Force 'E'
  • Not young enough to know everything
  • View Profile
« Reply #3 on 18/04/2009, 22:35 »
I thought I still had my copy of FC Judd's (G2BCX) Two Metre Antenna Handbook, but it seems to have vanished. This is the clearest version I can find on t'internet:

http://www.nrgkits.co.uk/workshop/slimjim.htm

Good luck.   Cool
Computers are wonderful - if anything goes wrong then no one is to blame.

Plusnet Unlimited & Talk Anytime International 300
« Reply #4 on 18/04/2009, 22:51 »
Cheers for that - that seems to be the clearest yet. however it mentions using a balun, but I seem to recall, we didn't use one on the original and it lasted for quite some time..
I took it down when I bought a commercially available 5/8 wave, but my father in his infinite wisdom in not knowing what it was threw it away Sad
  • mal0z
  • Usergroup Member
  • View Profile
« Reply #5 on 18/04/2009, 23:19 »
I was going to mention the slim jim too - and my Rad Com Handbook says it has a gain of about 2.5dBi - but the handbook also shows a modified version with base loading coils which increases the gain to 6dB ( Rad Com Handbook 7th edition page 14.51.

73's
Mal
GM6ADP - lapsed 
Mal               Plusnet Usergroup member
« Reply #6 on 19/04/2009, 07:33 »
Cheers for that too Mal Smiley

At least I have plenty of information to work from now. if I remember, I'll take some photos of the finished product.
  • Force 'E'
  • Not young enough to know everything
  • View Profile
« Reply #7 on 19/04/2009, 08:43 »
Please do remember! It might inspire me to resurrect my IC02E, which hasn't been powered up for quite a while.   Wink
Computers are wonderful - if anything goes wrong then no one is to blame.

Plusnet Unlimited & Talk Anytime International 300
« Reply #8 on 19/04/2009, 08:49 »
HIHI

Sure thing.

I think I still have a ICOM IC-2E (With the thumbwheel tuning) kicking about somewhere too - will be ok for packet/ simplex work, but no good for the repeaters now as they have done away with the 1750Hz tone burst access and replaced with CTCSS (71.9Hz for Hampshire) which is much better as I remember during some really good atmospherics you could end up talking through 2 repeaters at a time!!

Oh... and for those reading this are wondering what on earth HIHI means, it's the ham equivalent of LOL, or in the morse days .... /.. /.... /.... /..

« Last Edit: 19/04/2009, 08:53 by Chemical Brother »

« Reply #9 on 19/04/2009, 09:40 »
GM6ADP - lapsed 

I always thought about lapsing mine, but just let them keep taking the 12 every year, then last (2 years ago?) they sent me a LIFETIME license... Nice of them since I had been paying for over 20 years by then  Wink
So I still have the callsign but haven't activated a rig for about 7 years, still have a Yaesu 780 sitting on the shelf gathering dust, was never much 70cms traffic up here (don't know about now though), I have my 480 to a mate to fix about 10 years ago and haven't seen it (or him) since  Sad
Happy Linux Mint User. Check it out at www.linuxmint.com for a COMPLETELY FREE OS.
« Reply #10 on 19/04/2009, 12:41 »
easy when you know how http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html Cool

edit put bracket back at end ]

« Last Edit: 19/04/2009, 13:16 by pierre_pierre »

Free-online member since 15 Dec 1998
You dont have to be mad to understand what PN are up to, but it helps
Customer Options Team (Cancellations and MAC) 0800 4320200 (option 7) not free onmobile but 0345 4320200 is cheaper (or 0114 296 5098)
  • mal0z
  • Usergroup Member
  • View Profile
« Reply #11 on 19/04/2009, 12:54 »
@4candles -   IC02E   memories of a great little rig, but I used a Trio VHF SSB/FM mobile.

@Biker - I revitalised my license about 10 years ago - but let it lapse again.

I've heard of the lifetime license - so may revitalise it again, Especially now we cab use HF,
Although I was a professional radio man with Marconi and used ships HF kit under supervision from the radio officer, I never managed to get arround to doing my morse test.
« Reply #12 on 19/04/2009, 17:02 »
GM6ADP - lapsed 

I always thought about lapsing mine, but just let them keep taking the 12 every year, then last (2 years ago?) they sent me a LIFETIME license... Nice of them since I had been paying for over 20 years by then  Wink
So I still have the callsign but haven't activated a rig for about 7 years, still have a Yaesu 780 sitting on the shelf gathering dust, was never much 70cms traffic up here (don't know about now though), I have my 480 to a mate to fix about 10 years ago and haven't seen it (or him) since  Sad

I think you still need to "check in" with OFCOM every 5 years to keep your lifetime licence active IIRC..

Just been back to the parents, took down my old Antenna - was a fibreglass comet dual band, and has certainly stood the test of time, although some t-cut and some laquer or wax polish will bring it back to looking new again Smiley

EDIT: I'm also looking into the new forum structure with the rest of the team - do you think a Ham forum would get used much?

« Last Edit: 19/04/2009, 17:05 by Chemical Brother »

« Reply #13 on 19/04/2009, 17:13 »
Doubt it myself not much to chat about  Grin
  • mal0z
  • Usergroup Member
  • View Profile
« Reply #14 on 19/04/2009, 17:30 »
I doubt a solely Ham radio forum, but maybe a radio one which could include wifi perhaps ?. As many people here seem to have a rather vague idea how radio works  - including some IT people Wink
« Reply #15 on 19/04/2009, 18:04 »
Sounds like a plan to me Mal. I'll raise it with the team and see what they say  Smiley

I'm just trawling through ebay to find another cheap handie that I can set up in the shack for packet operation as I know where I can get a very old laptop to use for it. I still have my TNC and I also found my multimodo modem which does RTTY/SSTV and packet as well  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE