Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Chronicle of My Migration and Problems

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: A Chronicle of My Migration and Problems

Line tests are notorious for showing "no fault found". Persistence is the name of the game, ring up again as soon as the crackle reappears.
On past experience a static "whole-number" noise margin is normal during the day. With the value being 15dB I wonder if the DLM has increased your target to that now. At least the 21CN DLM appears to react faster so it will go down if the fault is corrected. However the sync speed with 15dB noise margin seems better than you had before so perhaps your extensions were giving problems.
Did the noise margin variation become more lively after dark as experienced before?
David
David
manastro
Grafter

Yes, the line became noisier than during the day once the sun went down.
Have only just powered on the PC and NM is 15db and sync speed is still 8894.
The line is as quiet as a mouse at the moment, but both times it went noisy - Saturday and Sunday - was during the afternoon.
The sun has been shining here for the past couple of days, so I can't blame wet weather for the problem.
Graham
manastro
Grafter

Further to the previous post............
Download speed is still at 500k, although symc speed is currently 8552. Attenuation down is 30 and up is 15. Noise margin is 15 down and 11 up.
Still haven't got the line "fixed" though.
Will have to report it to BT again and hope they find the intermittent noise problem.
manastro
Grafter

BT have finally agreed to investigate the noisy line - engineer due to visit Tuesday 21st April.
Noise Margin has been all over the place recently - up to 30db and down to -2db.
Line speed has been responding accordingly and is currently only 3069.
Speeds are appalling:

Yes, that does say 16kbs upload speed  Angry
spraxyt
Resting Legend

If it's any comfort I expect the speeds would be equally appalling on maxDSL. Sad
I hope the BT engineer does actually find a problem. He'll probably undo the existing old-style master socket for checks so it's definitely worth trying to get him to replace it with an NTE5 one.
David
David
manastro
Grafter

Well, the BT engineer arrived, and thankfully the line misbehaved whilst he was here.
He confirmed that the problem was outside of the house and went away.
He was supposed to give me a call and let me know that it was fixed - he didn't.
Just been on to the BT fault tracker and seen that the fault was "completed" at 14.42 on 21/4/09.
But I've no idea what he found.
At the moment, down sync speed is only 3069 and the IP profile has crept up to 1750. Up rate is 883.
Downstream margin is now slowly creeping back down towards the magical 12 (15 at present) from the horrendous 30.
I'm reluctant to reboot the router as I don't want this to reset the IP profile just now, and I'm hoping that the BT DSLAM will reduce the noise margin too (soon)
Attenuation remains at 30db down and 15db up.
The error rate is showing as 105 FEC errors in 47461 seconds, which is about 13 hours (and a bit) - odd, as I didn't reset the router 13 hours ago.  Huh
On the plus side - that very very nice man from BT fitted a shiny new NTE5 master socket when I asked him. This replaces a 20 year old (approx) 7" brand (BT's logo before "BT" - often known as the seven inch club  ;D) master socket.
Now I can get myself an ADSL faceplate, which is supposed to improve things too.
Graham
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Well getting a proper NTE5 master socket fitted is a positive step, but due to the poor post-repair sync speeds you are experiencing I'm uneasy about the rest of it. I wonder if it's the problem with Intermittent faults - change something and it goes away, so appears fixed but because it's intermittent, it isn't really. Its return in a few days will show if that is the case.
After leaving your connection to settle for a few days, if the downstream sync speed doesn't improve to well above 10000kbps I suggest trying the test socket to eliminate your internal wiring (are the bell wires disconnected in the new faceplate?). If that doesn't improve sync speeds, perhaps there is a broadband fault in addition to the noisy line (POTS) one hopefully just repaired. However I don't think one can rule out the router.
Since you don't have an ADSL2+ capable alternative to try, you could consider giving your old D-LINK G604-T a whirl. As you mentioned that supports only ADSL/G.DMT but I think 21CN should be happy with that (users with multi-mode routers have forced a G.DMT connection for testing purposes). If your line is now OK I would expect the D-LINK to give between 7616 and 8128kbps down and 640kbps (its limit) up.
David
David
manastro
Grafter

Hi spraxyt,
Yes, I know what you mean.........
The master socket was not the cause of the problem, I just thought that while I had an engineer on site I'd ask for one. - then I can get an ADSL faceplate  Wink
He didn't reconnect the extensions, so there is still no bell wire to worry about, as I have not reconnected them yet either.
But you are definitely on the same wavelength as me - if the fault had been "fixed" I would have expected much better figures than those I am getting. The noise problem on the line usually became audible in the afternoons (don't know why) and as I am at work then for now, I won't be able to check again until Saturday afternoon.
Sadly, the D-Link router was a borrowed one and I have returned it from whence it came - I guess I could always borrow it back, although to be honest I am thinking of writing this router off and spending some more cash, maybe on a Netgear DG834UK if that sounds OK to you "pros" out there. (Any advice on router models appreciated)
I still have the original PCI Dynamode ADSL card (as supplied by FOL) installed in the PC so I guess as a last resort I could downgrade to that  Roll_eyes
Graham
manastro
Grafter

Things seem to be stuck at BT........
When the router connects (after a POR or reboot) it tries for a 6db noise margin for a few seconds (15-ish), but then it shoots up to 29 db and stays there for a while, although during this evening it has managed to creep down to 13db now, but it has taken 4 hours to do so.
What is more worrying is the sync speed. This has been stuck at 3069 for 3 days now. Not above and not below - exactly at 3069 every time the router is reset. It appears as if BT have hard wired this at their end.
Can this be reset, along with the noise margin?
Upload sync is currently at 1002 kbps.
Upload margin is 9db.

DSL Status:  Up   
      DSL Modulation Mode:  ADSL2+   
      DSL Path Mode:  INTERLEAVED   
      Downstream Rate:  3069 Kbps   
      Upstream Rate:  1002 Kbps   
      Downstream Margin:  16 db   
      Upstream Margin:  9 db   
      Downstream Line Attenuation:  30   
      Upstream Line Attenuation:  15   
      Downstream Transmit Power:  0   
      Upstream Transmit Power:  0
Item Value
ADSL Line Type ADSL2+
ADSL Line CodingADSL Line Coding INTERLEAVED
Line Attenuation (Down):30  (Up):15
Noise Margin (Down):15  (Up):9
Total Output Power (Down):0  (Up):0
Current State DownStr: 3069(K)  UpStr: 1002(K)
undefined UP
FEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):0  (Far):75
CRC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
undefined (Near):0  (Far):0
HEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
Showtime last(sec) 1240693044
ADSL FW Version 0.54
ADSL Board Type Annex A
I think the 1240693044 is completely wrong - an occasional odd report from the router for some reason
Graham
manastro
Grafter

Well, here's the next page in the saga........
I thought that as ADSL2+ was not behaving I'd downgrade to ADSL2.
I got exactly the same 3066 sync with NM of ~28 to 29 db
So I went one further and downgarded to ADSL.
I got sync of 3072 and NM of 25db and it says my upstream sync is 896  Shocked
So something is amiss somewhere, isn't it Huh  Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Something definitely is amiss. Sad
A dodgy line card at the exchange is favourite, however I feel it is essential to eliminate a faulty router first. If you are inclined to replace your present one I like the Netgear DG834G. I have the V4 with broadcom chipset though I think the current model is the V5 with a different chipset. Other users mention the DG834GT. I would suggest avoiding any Belkin models even though PC World might be pushing them as flavour of the month.
David
David
manastro
Grafter

Hi David,
Yes, I've been reading another post from ASBO DOG regarding Belkin routers.
My local (cheap) supplier has a Netgear DG834UK on offer at only £47.95 plus VAT.
There's only one left and if it's still there tomorrow, I may take the plunge and consign the Linksys AG241 to "backup".
Graham
manastro
Grafter

Things have moved on a little since I raised a ticket anout the low speeds after the BT chap had been round...........
Since then I had been stuck with the noise margin hovering between 29 and about 20 in the evenings, but fairly steady at about 26 during the day.
Howver, today someone has definitely done something.............
Between about 11.40 and 12.15, the line dropped twice and then finally picked up at a noise margin of 12db. Sync speed is now 9725.
Since then the down NM has been relatively steady at 11-12 until about 20.30 tonight when it has started to fluctuate between 12 and 8.
Oddly, though, the upstream NM which was about 5-6 last night is now 23 !  Shocked which is screwing the upstream sync speed down to 445.
Data transfer rates are currently 2282 down and 282 up  Angry
As I write this, the down noise margin is 7db and the up NM is 23.
Attenuation remains at 30db down and 15db up as it has since the start (almost  since the start- it was only 29 down a few weeks ago)
I have no idea what PN techies/BTw have been up to, but could I have my up nm of 5 to 6 back please, and keep the down nm of 9 ????
Graham
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Did you manage to obtain another router to try? It would be a bit embarrassing if any of today's confusing happenings are down to the Linksys not feeling well. Roll_eyes
David
David
manastro
Grafter

Sadly, no.
I'm reluctant to lash out £50+ on another router if I don't have to.
I did drop a hint that perhaps I could borrow one from PN but nobody responded to that one  Sad
At the mo, (well, last night when I checked) PN have my profile at 2500, so that explains the poor transfer speed downstream.
But looking at the NM rates, it looks almost as if the down and up parts of the equipment at the exchange have been swapped round, giving me the 23 db up and 12 down, instead of the "23" (26 really) down and 12 up that was there before.
Here are the figures at 23.47 on 2/5/09:
Item Value
ADSL Line Type ADSL2+
ADSL Line CodingADSL Line Coding INTERLEAVED
Line Attenuation (Down):29  (Up):15
Noise Margin (Down):10  (Up):23
Total Output Power (Down):0  (Up):0
Current State DownStr: 9725(K)  UpStr: 445(K)
undefined UP
FEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):0  (Far):90794
CRC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
undefined (Near):0  (Far):81
Showtime last(sec) 1241307920
ADSL FW Version 0.54
ADSL Board Type Annex A
Once again, the router is reporting an anomalous "uptime".
Graham