cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd happenings at midnight again. hmmmm.

Grff
Grafter

Odd happenings at midnight again. hmmmm.

Si i'm happily playing Call of Duty 5. When the game quits with a message of "game ended due to poor host connection".  As I was the host this kicked everyone out of the game.  When the next match started I had a really poor connection.  I came out of the game and tried again, but it wouldn't find any games. A bit odd for having over 190k people online.  The odd thing is, when I look at the clock, it's shortly after midnight.  Seems to much of a coincidence to me.  Especially as i've been kicked from games, and had a poor connection generally at midnight once or twice before.
So I switched the laptop on and did a speed test on speedtest.net, and bt.
The first BT speedtest hung at the "number of threads: 4" message, and the second try gave;
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 4288 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1677 kbps
Surely the throughput at half the ip profile rate is a little low, especially after midnight?
Browsing is now really slow, and if it's anything like the last time, it'll come back a little bit in an hour or so.
I've just tried another game as I typed this (Left 4 Dead), got into a game, played for 3 minutes, then got booted out with "disconnected, connection with session has been lost."  Roll_eyes
I was told the last time it may be due to peoples scheduled downloads starting at midnight.  Even if it was, it shouldn't interfere with my connection and gaming.  Kicking me off games and making my browsing slow. Isn't gaming meant to be prioritised anyway.
It's now starting get a bit tedious.
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Odd happenings at midnight again. hmmmm.

Just look at what happens to the Plusnet network on the stroke of midnight each day as people kick off their off peak downloads:
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Grff
Grafter

Thanks for the chart, but to be honest It shouldn't matter.  It shouldn't interfere with my paid for service.  Wink  (if that's what the problem is down too).
If I can't use it for what I want, when I can, what's the point.
Well, no surprises, an hour later, and i'm back on.  Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if there aint no room on the cable, dont matter what yoy are doing, you suffer Cool Cool
James
Grafter

Hi Griff,
It might be worth doing a wireshark capture to make sure that we're prioritising COD5 traffic accordingly - as it should be in titanium, meaning that you shouldn't be affected at midnight, no matter how many downloads are being scheduled for that time, P2P or otherwise.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark_video.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
Those two link (both a video guide and a normal support page) show you how you can do this if it's something that you haven't done before.  You're looking for the traffic to be tagged as 0xa0 (titanium).  If it's 0x80 (Gold) on Pro, or 0x40 (Silver) on other products (except Value), then the traffic isn't being prioritised properly.
However, I think ASBO DOG might have checked this already and said it was fine, or that might have been a different game.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It'll be more a local issue than the central.  First question - do you have anyone else in the house who may be scheduling downloads/file sharing?
scootie
Grafter

@jameseh. no only wireshark i have done on xbox was when we were getting low speeds on the 0x60 queue aka gold plated. and that was only for streaming videos and game packs/demos on dashboard i did it for.
The recent wireshark i have done since was SPOTIFY music streaming was getting effected by peak time p2p caps on unlimited.
If the OP is using xbox for COD 5 and wants me to do the wireshark for him i will. As i pretty much have every thing setup to do xbox wireshark captures. But iT's very unlikely that the traffic managment is picking xbox gaming traffic up wrong.
Havent touched my xbox much since going to unlimited but on bby3 just after midnight for about half an hour if i was playing MTD my lag meter would go to 3 bars and then back to 4bars after a short time. Normal TDM never saw this wee drop allways stayed 4 bars.

If it was me getting this problem i would be inclined to run ping plotter or simlar just before midnight and monitor the pings on my line.
Grff
Grafter

ASBO, if you could do that for me that would be great.  Although i'd expect all xbox traffic to be priotised the same.
It doesn't kick me out every night (and i'm on most nights,  ;D), just when it does, it's always at midnight.
_CN_ , There was only the xbox on at the time, everyone else was tucked up in bed.  Smiley
If it was a general connection issue at my end, i'd expect web browsing and everything to be off, but I could still browse, just a bit slower than usual.
A tracert to the BBC at the time was giving me resonse times of around 50ms to the plusnet's gateways.
James
Grafter

Griff - Worth bearing in mind that ICMP (ping) traffic is Gold, whereas Gaming is Titanium.
scootie
Grafter

nope unlimited xbox traffic is still picked up o.k.  in fact runing xbox through laptop and utorrent uploading at 60KB/s out of a max of 88KB/s on my desktop i was still getting full green bars. as normal thoe checked MTDM and TDM and MTDM was 3 bars where TDM was full bars.
so unlimited package is o,k for xbox still.
you using wireless and is it sercure?
and also are you wired or wireless on the xbox?
@jameseh sry i missed you the other day. i havent bein near my xbox since going unmetered my line has never stood still fo me to beable to use xbox without screaming at family members for giving some one else a cheap lag kill Angry
p.s scrubed the local address of my xbox out the capture. dont want it getting dos attacked by this crowd http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7888369.stm
James
Grafter

Good - So it is Titanium.
Which means that it shoulodn't be impacted by scheduled downloads on our network.
scootie
Grafter

it realy does sound a local network problem as the same packet drop thing happens every midnight on the PN network so if this was causing your problem i would think that it would present it's self every night and to more customers.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I haven't noticed anything like this on (the more superior IMHO  Roll_eyes ) PSN at midnight, I suck as much after midnight as before.  Wink Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

I've just reported the above post for being factually incorrect.
Hopefully one of our moderators will be able to pick this up shortly.
Oh wait...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post Off topic posts in Customer Support are not appreciated mod:end