cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BT speedtest - advice appreciated

BertCoules
Grafter

Re: The BT speedtest - advice appreciated

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I must admit that I have been using the BT throughput figure as the main indication of performance; I can see now that that's not a good idea. 
I am still experiencing very sluggish speeds  at times, though - more so than I'd expect simply because of peak-hour usage by others - so that's something I will keep an eye on.
Incidentally, I'm sorry that my posts all seem to be over the standard line-length; I don't know why that's the case.
Thanks again,
Bert
James
Grafter

Hi guys,
I'm seeing way too many examples of BT Speedtests reporting speeds drastically lower than normal speed tests.
I've asked for it to be raised with BT.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

while your about it James I am getting a lot of rubbish Mybroadband spped checks recently
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Bert,
As James has already said, the BT speedtest seems to have been giving a number of erroneous results of late, especially if there might be the possibility of congestion, either exchange or network. Another speed test that seems fairly reliable, although none can be guaranteed to be exact, is mybroadband speed at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ . I'm not sure what problems pierre has had but I've not experienced any difficulties or inconsistent results. If you don't delete your cookies, a history of test results is maintained.
IMHO too may people rely too heavily on the BT speedtest, and it is often over worked.
If you have a worry about your throughput speeds run the thinkbroadband and/or mybroadband speed test. If these show seriously out of order results then it's worth checking your profile at the member centre and if this isn't consistent with your sync speed then run the BT speedtest for confirmation. Please also remember speed tests can & will vary by the second depending on how much traffic is going through the exchange or the network at that instant.
You have already been given advice about using WPA encryption for your wireless, just make sure your password/phrase is not a name or 'word' ie it has a number of digits or other characters in it and not digits from your date of birth. It is possible your WiFi may have been hacked previously, apart from setting up the encryption, if you are not using it, ie using a wired ethernet connection, if your router has the setting to turn it off, do so.
I don't think there is any point in trying another router as results from the other speed tests show that it's not the router giving a problem, and your profile / sync speed is consistent.
I would pay attention to making sure that you have a decent Anti-virus programme, anti-spyware programme and firewall installed, AVG, AVAST, Spybot, ZoneAlarm are all free for personal use. Also check that your firewall settings at the member centre suit your needs.
As you use Torrents, it is probable that the 'Tool-Evid' was installed when you installed your torrent programme. Because it over-rides Windows Default security, it will be identified as a possible threat by a number of programmes but you can usually set them to ignore such items if you genuinely know you want them and they are ok.
HTH.
BertCoules
Grafter

Anotherone, many thanks for the detailed reply.  I'll try the Mybroadbandspeed test and see what sort of results I get.  Someone on another site recommended the BroadbandMax test at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk and that's been giving me far more consistent figures than the BT one.
I don't think there's any unauthorised usage going on.  I stopped all internet activity for a night and the best part of a day and detected nothing, but perhaps that's not a long enough time span to be sure.
I run a daily scan with AVG (updated regularly) and a less frequent one with Spybot, so I think I'm probably covered there, though I suppose stuff slips through even the best programs.  As for a firewall, do you recommend using the Windows one or the router's own?  Or both, or neither?
I installed and ran Tool-Evid some time ago, and when the recent McAfee scan picked it up I checked and discovered why.  Having run it once and made the change to the basic Windows setting, can I delete the actual program?  Am I ever likely to have to run it again?
Bert
Anotherone
Champion

Deal with the last point first, yes you might need to run it again if a windows update resets security back to default - it could happen. As long as it's a valid program you require, there is no worry and you can set Spybot to ignore it.
As far as firewalls go, there is the PN one, configurable at the member centre, yes also use your router one and whether you use the windows one or another like ZoneAlarm depends on which can be configured to suit your needs best and still give you protection from things you don't want.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just done a sort of video of a mybroadband test  http://flickr.com/photos/25737856@N04/3311735413/in/photostream/
my synch speed is 8128 my profile 7150 the end result below  XP SP3
Anotherone
Champion

When did you get ADSL2 pierre Lips_are_sealed
If this keeps up, it'll get a reputation like speedtest.net which as you know we won't touch with a bargepole Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Must be my Cat 5 cable and the Chilli Peanuts getting in the way, and my echange doesnt go adsl+ til  next September
Sorry the Video wasnt that clear did it with my noddy Phone