Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderators Elections - Voting thread [SPLIT FROM POLL RESULTS]

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Moderators Elections - Voting thread [SPLIT FROM POLL RESULTS]

Jim,
Where has it been said that the four should be appointed without the approval of the members of these forums?
What I suggested was that appoint all four should be an option in the poll. If there were more votes for this option than for any of the candidates then all four would be appointed, if any candidate polled more than the all four option only the top two candidates would be appointed.
What I find very depressing is that talk of increasing the number of moderators has been going around for a year if not longer, it was discussed at the moderators meeting last spring:
Quote from: chillypenguin
I think that sometimes admitting that there is a problem is the biggest issue.
If we can restore the moderating team back to its original strength of 8,we will once again be in rude health. And I agree with John, in that the more moderators that we have the easier it will be to recruit.
If the answer to this is to introduce a two tier moderating structure then I support this. Its not a new idea, in fact the idea of `board` moderators was discussed at the moderators meeting last spring.

So these elections are going to get us back up to 6 which means that shortly we are going to have another round of elections. In the meantime the more limited number of moderators are going to be expected to carry the burden with the associated risk that another may resign. Just how long is it going to be before people actually recognise that something different needs to be done instead of this continual cycle of elections which never manages to catch up with the rate at which moderators resign?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: mal0z
I think Strat should stand as a Mod  Smiley

He is one of the people who I suspect may have stepped forward if it had been to be one of a larger team. At least I hope he would because I think he'd be a very good moderator.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Another thought: If two of these four are elected it means two are going to be rejected - are we expecting them to put their names forward again when the next round of elections come? Or will we have lost two potentially good moderators?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Totally agree with your last point John, that's why I've expressed the view that I have about these elections.
@strat
The train was already being "Derailed as it approaches the station" as you put it in this thread and before according to what some of the former moderators have been saying.
Apart from Jelv & Be3G and myself, no-one seems to have made any constructive comment on Barry's suggestion which I think is a much better idea. At least you'd be voting for people based on their ability to moderate and not just for your friends on the forum, much more democratic in my view.
Quote from: Barry
Based upon the ideas raised....................................................................I like the idea of having Moderators and Administrating Moderators.  My gut reaction is that Moderators could be appointed by the Administrating Moderating  team, but raising someone to the position of Administrating Moderator would be by community election from the current Moderator pool (of those mods interested in the position)
Many more details to hammer out, so please keep the discussion flowing.
B.

Chris.
samuria
Grafter

Any reason why my name isnt  on the list as I put my name down on the 22/01/09 this makes the voting unfair as people may now have voted not knowing I am standing again. The last election was unfair as there was a statement not to vote for people who help technically as they wouldnt be able to help and this may have affected the last vote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Jan,
Are you sure about that date? I can see an obvious problem here:
Following the Penguin's departure from the moderator ranks, it is now time to run a new set of moderator elections.<snip>

The invitation to stand was posted on 22nd, two days after you say you put your name forward. If your date is correct, why whoever you PM'd didn't say you had to resubmit it as they couldn't accept applications from before the applications officially opened...
Edit: samuria has edited his post changing the date from 20th to 22nd since I made this post.
samuria
Grafter

Re: Moderators election
« Sent to: samuria on: 22/01/2009, 23:15 »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »
Reply with quote Reply Remove this message
Shouldn't be a problem as we should have the text somewhere Smiley
I'll add you to the list of candidates Smiley
B.
the thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73206.0.html is dated 22/01/2009 and I applied straight away
geewizz
Grafter

I think that's the sort of confusing posting that should put you out of the running for any moderating role, samurai.
Mav
Fixes: 515

It's a shame samuria's name wasn't added. Perhaps, we wouldn't be having these discussions about electing all four of us current candidates if five had been put forward?
I'm not sure that changing the voting at this point would be fair on those already voted.
How about if the two unsuccessful canditates names were automatically put foward for the next round of elections with the option of declining should any circumstances have changed for them in between?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Barry has read this topic since samuria queried why his name was not included (see attached) so hopefully we will see some action soon on this oversight.
Quote from: geewizz
I think that's the sort of confusing posting that should put you out of the running for any moderating role, samurai.

That may or may not be the case (I understood his post as a quote of a PM he'd received following his application), but either he should have been informed in accordance with
The moderators will then assess that the candidates fit into the following criteria -
1. Must have been a customer of one of the PlusNet brands (PlusNet, FORCE9, Free-Online, Metronet or MAAF) for at least 6 months and currently be using a paid account from one of these brands.
2. Must be a regular poster on the forums. (There is no minimum post requirement, as we expect regular contributors to be most likely to be candidates.)
3.Can not have been banned or warned for forum conduct in the last three months.
4. And review the candidates previous posts to assess their suitability as moderators.
If the candidate does not fit within this criteria the moderators will inform them by PM.

or his name should appear in the poll.
Mav

Further to my previous post I was looking through many parts of the PN's site and couldn't find any easily noticed reference to the moderator elections - even on the Community pages.
Now, I understand the need to request moderators only within the forums as that is the only way to get people who at least meet the 2nd criteria (or should that be criterium above), but what about the actual elections? Surely there must be many who infrequent these forums but their voice in voting would count?
Just a thought for the future.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

samuria
Grafter

My name was on the list for the last election so I was suitable a few weeks ago and have been a good boy ever since so there shouldn't be a problem. How many votes have been cast? if its only a few my name should be added and those that voted given the opportunity to change their vote if they want other wise the election is unfair and they election must not only be fair but seen to be done fairly
Mav

I, for one, have no objection to your name being added, samuria.
Shall we have a vote on it Wink

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

STEP 3
The moderators will post a list of the candidates, and enter it into a forum post. The community will be given 10 days to vote for their preferred candidate.
STEP 4
After the vote is complete, the moderators will assess the voting process to ensure it was conducted in a fair manner. If there is any evidence of unfairness then the election will be declared null and void with the whole process having to be re-run.

Quote from: Mav
I'm not sure that changing the voting at this point would be fair on those already voted.

If a candidate has been omitted in error then there seems little point in allowing 10 days for the election to then declare it void.
Mav

Quote from: alanf
Quote from: Mav

If a candidate has been omitted in error then there seems little point in allowing 10 days for the election to then declare it void.

My comment about not changing the voting was based on adding the option of electing all four candidates.
If omitting samuria is deemed to be unfair then, of course, this round of votes should be declared null & void and started again as per the rules.