Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG updates restricted on BBYW2

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

AVG updates restricted on BBYW2

I recently moved from PAYG to BBYW2.  Not really noticed any difference except tonight, AVG noted it was out of date, and needed updating. Usually I get line speeds for these updates, but tonight I noticed the download was running at between 6 and 11KB/sec/ Are these updates on a restricted profile. Also tried downloading from the website, and was getting the same 6-11KB/sec.  If this is normal for this time of night for these things, then so be it, but would welcome clarification of what sites are restricted, as the plusnet site does not make this clear, and this is just the thing that was making me reluctant to move to BBYW2
24 REPLIES 24
James
Grafter

Re: AVG updates restricted on BBYW2

Hmm. Strange.  I wouldn't have expected it to be doing that.
I'll have a word with Dave tomorrow to see if he's aware what's going on.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Cheers James
Other sites seem to be downloading at line speed, such as file hippo,  but I have tried downloading ZoneAlarm from the zonelabs site, and this is the same as well.  Downloads from Microsoft are also coming down at around 80-100KB/sec.  Cant see it being an issue with my profiling....
James
Grafter

Microsoft downloads are rate limited as far as I'm aware.  It's one of the things that we have to do to prevent issues on patch Tuesday's.
Again, wasn't aware of Zonelabs/AVG.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

It may just be me, but internet running fine, speedtests normal for my profile (4500), getting 4200-4300, with no lagging.  It would be interesting to see what dave thinks is causing this, and if anyone else sees this.
Thanks for the attention james
techguy
Grafter

Not meaning to hijack your thread penfold but noticed similar things with Apple Software Updater and the Sony Ericsson Phone Software Update service at odd times of day.
Could it be related?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Apple is classed as a download server as they are served up by akami (sp), there is a list on the portal somewhere.
But I can't find it at the moment.
EDIT: found it http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/download_servers.shtml
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
techguy
Grafter

The bleedin' Akamai CDN gets everywhere.
James
Grafter

Zonelabs are treated as download servers (I've just checked with Dave).
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml?link_bbyw_view1=speeds#Option2sp...
The link above shows how speeds should be rate limited during various times of the day.  I appreciate that the figures quoted are higher than what was being experienced last night.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks James.....
And AVG updates?Huh
James
Grafter

AFAIK it's the same company.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Eh?
Bud
Grafter

I disagree with the shaping on the virus updates and microsoft updates specially when they are shaped so much that they run around a third of a speed that they do on a neighbours tiscali account  Angry
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

They are not the same company; ZoneAlarm is a product from ZoneLabs (now part of Checkpoint Software), AVG is a product from AVG technologies (formerly GriSoft).
Given that the AVG updates tend to be quite small anyway I have not seen a problem with speed.
newmillscomp
Grafter

Penfold - what version of AVG are you running ? .