cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Plusnet Option 1 from Tiscali

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Migrating to Plusnet Option 1 from Tiscali

User is currently with Tiscali and is on a fixed speed connection (224 Kbps Up, 2240Kbps Down)
He now has a MAC and intends to pass it to PlusNet in about 10 Days. Some Questions:
1) Will this connection be automatically move to a (Up to) 8Mbps connection?
2) How long will migration take if Direct Debit setup allowed to take its course? Working days or elapsed days?
3) How long will migration take if a Credit Card is provided for first payment.? Working days or elapsed days?
4) Who advised Tiscali when migration is complete so they stop taking DD payment?
5) Is it advisable to cancel the DD and let Tiscali invoice for any outstanding charges?
R
16 REPLIES 16
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Migrating to Plusnet Option 1 from Tiscali

Quote from: Wheel_nut
5) Is it advisable to cancel the DD and let Tiscali invoice for any outstanding charges?

Most definitely.
I moved from Tiscali to PN over 6 months ago and fortunately took this precaution.
I am STILL in dispute with them over outstanding payments which they seemed totally unable to get right.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Thanks HPsause. It is always a dilemma as to whether to cancel a DD or to handle any overcharges through the DD Guarantee with the Bank. The risk with cancelling the DD is that Tiscali blot your credit rating.
I would still like answers to my other questions on the timing of the migration and whether the migration will automatically regrade the line to 8Mbps ADSLMax. With Tiscali, it is still on a 289/ 2148 fixed speed connection.
James
Grafter

1) Will this connection be automatically move to a (Up to) 8Mbps connection?
Yes
2) How long will migration take if Direct Debit setup allowed to take its course? Working days or elapsed days?
10 working days (two weeks).
3) How long will migration take if a Credit Card is provided for first payment.? Working days or elapsed days?
5 working days (one week).
4) Who advised Tiscali when migration is complete so they stop taking DD payment?
BT via BBCR.
Very.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and also advise Tiscali of the move yourself to minimise subsequent arguments
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Thanks James and Oldjim for the very comprehensive answers. It is a lomg time since I migrated via a MAC and my memory wasn't serving me well.  Smiley
ctech500
Grafter

I hope this is not off-topic but my question is regarding Tiscali..
My friend has moved house she has a PN account the line at the new address is "owned/Managed" by Tiscali
BT want £124 to get the line back
Tiscali insist that she must pay a £30 connection  Charge and that she *Must* take Broadband from them(they don't do line rental only)
They advised her that she will have to cancel her contract with Plusnet , needless to say she is reluctant to do this
I have been advised that Tiscali can not force anyone to take broadband from them.
This seems wrong
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It sounds very likely TBH.
An issue for your friend to take up with the people who sold her the house as they should have informed her of any such potential "issues".
ctech500
Grafter

Hi
She didn't buy the house she is being re-housed by the council - BT informed her that the line was with another provider after a bit of detective work I discovered that Tiscali was the provider of the line
Anyway I think she will have to commit  to Tiscali for 12 months  Cry  and then migrate back to PN
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is it worth complaining to the Council
ctech500
Grafter

I don't think so - the previous tenant took their Broandband and phone from Tiscali
One could complain to the OFT  citing Unfair terms and conditions or maybe anti-competitive behaviour
it reminds of Microsoft who almost forced windows users to use IE instead of  third party browsers.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

The previous occupant was probably one of the poor unfortunate Plusnet customers who got  moved to Tiscali LLU during the "bad" days in Plusnet's history.
I seem to recall that PlusNet migrated these users back to BT Broadband free of charge. It would be interesting to grt James' view on this. However, I don't understand the statement that Tiscali own the subscriber Line. I believe that (with the exception of Cable users,) all Voice lines are owned and serviced by BT Openreach and therefore, there should be no problem in switching the Telephone service to BT or any other provider.
James should be able to enlighten us all.
ctech500
Grafter

I did try to contact BT Openreach but BT Sales informed that they are not "customer facing" and were insistent that it would cost £124.00 to release the Line.
maybe LLU has implications when trying to migrate back to a BTW product.
I suspect the last customer maybe broke their terms & conditions (i.e. left before the 12 month was up)
Update
I just spoke to CS and was told that Tiscali  are a LLU provider so this means that migrating back to a BTW provider would mean paying BT £124
Not applicable

Yep, thats right - when they re-jigged the charging the LLU > BTW migration fee was noted as being ridiculously high, but unfortunately there is little that we as the general populous of this fair isle can do about it.
Its not really an issue that occurs as a result of moving to Plusnet, the same charge would apply when moving to any broadband provider who uses a BT line for providing the service.
Shame, but unavoidable I think.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

If she took Plusnet Homephone, wouldn't the charge be less than the £124.00?  Still quite a lot, but cheaper than that.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.