cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Axis webcam and port forwarding with BT voyager 2100 ...... a little help?

foxy
Grafter

Axis webcam and port forwarding with BT voyager 2100 ...... a little help?

Evening fellow Plus Netters,
For the past couple of hours I've been trying to configure port forwarding to an Axis 206 webcam via my Plus Net BT voyager 2100 router... and at this very point in time, I'm about to throw it out of the window!
I have a static IP address with Plus Net (I even rang up to check it was all in order, and it is) All I want to do is port forward this IP address to 192.168.1.4 (which is my axis webcam), however, it's just not playing ball. I even tried doing the DMZ thing to point directly to it... still no go..
If any of you have any sugggestions, I could really do with your help. Beer vouchers to the one that does  Cool
Cheers,
Foxy
14 REPLIES 14
itsme
Grafter

Re: Axis webcam and port forwarding with BT voyager 2100 ...... a little help?

I assume that you can/have set up port forwarding correctly to 192.168.1.4 and you are trying to access the camera using your PN static address from your LAN. Normally your will not be able to do this unless your router support loopback. If it does not you either have to access the camera using a remote computer or use a proxy like this one
I also assume the the IP address for the camera is a static one and not in the DHCP range that the router will allocate.
foxy
Grafter

Damn, I don't think the voyager 2100 does support loopback  Sad
Can you recommend a good reliable modem/router that does support loopback? preferably wireless too that I can use with Plus Net connection...
itsme
Grafter

No need. If you want to access the camera on the LAN side use the local IP address. If you want to test it from the WAN side use the proxy I suggested above.
puddy
Grafter

I have a Panasonic BL-C1 ip camera and never got it working with the supplied Panasonic software, it would show an image on the internal network but could not see anything on the internet.
I use speedtouch 716wl v5 wireless router and could only get an image on my web page by using VisionGS be, software but this only works if I leave my desktop computer on.
I go on to the speedtouch game & Application page on setup the web cam and link it to device=bed3 which is my desktop
The software not free but this the only way I can get my ip camera to work.
Any help in doing this without desktop being on would be gratefully received
When I have my camera on it displays video of my cat (if their)sleeping most of time and she upside down a sleep.  I can keep an eye on her.
This is where I got my online identity =Puddy
puddy
MickKi
Grafter

Did I hear beer vouchers?!  Cool
Have you had a look at this?
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Voyager2100/Voyager2100index.htm
The default port is 80 so that's the one you need to forward to a static IP address (as if it is a normal http server):
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Voyager2100/HTTP.htm
Also set up the same static IP address in your router's LAN devices configuration for the camera's MAC address and on the camera itself.
HTH.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: MickKi
Did I hear beer vouchers?!   Cool

Do you want me to PM your pint?
I had a look at the site and it’s how I had it setup.  When I brought my Panasonic ip camera it said it came with its own internet server, have I miss-read this I thought it meant I could access it from the internet, but the only way it does this is to leave my desktop computer on.
Will it really work with just the router on? And if so how do I get to it i.e. I have a static ip address what address do I need to enter in internet explorer?
puddy
itsme
Grafter

The camera is a web server. With the camera plugged into the router follow the manual to communicate with it. Then go to the settings, see attached file, select static and enter an IP outside the range of your route DHCP but within the same subnet i.e. 192.168.1.100. Reboot the camera.
To access the camera from the LAN side just enter the IP address that you have assigned to the camera. To access it from the WAN side you first need to forward port 80 to the IP of the camera. If you router support loopback you will then be able to access the camera by entering your PN static address. If loopback is not supported you can either use a proxy or use a PC on a different network.  The proxy that I use is http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html
puddy
Grafter

Right its now working  thanks for your help its been driving me round the bend I have had it over a year,  I did not want to loose my video on my web page but now both work
but more question require help
1.now its working all the time a does it use up all my downloading quote?
2.and if so I do I switch it off and on when I want to apart from unpluging the cat cable?
Thanks for getting me this far
puddy
MickKi
Grafter

You are only using your bandwidth when someone is connected over the Internet (not LAN) to your camera and is viewing it.  If the camera has password authentication, then only those who have the password (or managed to crack it)  Shocked will be able to use your bandwidth.
If you want to 'switch it off' just disable the port forwarding rule (for port 80) that you have already set up on your router.
BTW, if you are using the PlusNet firewall at Low settings you will find that port 80 is blocked.  Either choose another firewall setting or use a different port (assuming the camera control panel allow you to do this).
HTH.
puddy
Grafter

Thank you for your help
kind regards
puddy
foxy
Grafter

Quote from: MickKi
BTW, if you are using the PlusNet firewall at Low settings you will find that port 80 is blocked.  Either choose another firewall setting or use a different port (assuming the camera control panel allow you to do this).

this was the problem! It was down to the Plus Net firewall blocking port 80. Nothing wrong with my router after all 🙂
All fixed, my webcam is working.
Thank you.
puddy
Grafter

As I said I use my web camera to see what my mad cat up to when I am out what do you use your for?
Puddy
foxy
Grafter

Streaming to a community website for a little village called Lymm:
http://www.lymm.net/webcam
pierre_pierre
Grafter

hows you bandwidth, can it be linked to http://www.weatherbonk.com/weather/cams/favoriteCams.jsp