cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG

coastergrotto
Grafter

AVG

All three of my laptops are saying a bin file is missing when running Updates to AVG 8 Free Edition.  I have downloaded it again and hit 'Repair' but still it is unable to update due to this bin file missing.    Anyone else affected, and what suggestions does anyone have as to how to fix this problem as I'm not sure whether my computer is protected.
14 REPLIES 14
dpsimmons
Grafter

Re: AVG

Hi what build and what file is it as i do have AVG installed on a few of my machines
coastergrotto
Grafter

It's the free version AVG 8.0.138
dpsimmons
Grafter

I will see what i can dig out whats the file name thats missing.
I only use AVG Internet Sercurity on my main machine but will dig out the file.
coastergrotto
Grafter

It just says a bin file is missing when you go to Update.
dpsimmons
Grafter

strange well i'm a reseller and have access to a bigger KB and i can look in to this first thing tomorrow.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks Daniel.  I would have thought will all three of my machines saying the same thing, it has to be a problem with the update from the server.
coastergrotto
Grafter

If it helps it does say a .bin file is missing.
randpwar
Grafter

This seems to have happened to many people as a quick Google search returns lots of blogs reporting the same. I followed the instructions below from the blog in the link and all now appears well as AVG is currently happily scanning my pc 
1 - Start up AVG,click Update Now.
2 - The list of updates is shown in Popup, click on the more information link.A list of updates will be shown.
3 - Click on and save all updates in a file except the last one - http://downloadfree.avg.com/update/u7iavi1616oo.bin - because this is causing the problem.
4 - Cancel the update and instead click on Tools > Update from Directory and go to the file where you saved the updates.Install these and AVG should be working properly again.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/62/t1216894-avg-free-8-bin-file-missing/

Hope this helps
Rob
pierre_pierre
Grafter

artmo
Aspiring Champion

This was posted by Gel on another thread.  Seems they know about it at AVG.
From AVG Forum
Currently the update for AVG Free v8 is corrupted... you will have to wait for AVG Technologies to address the issue with the update.
Reporting the issue again by other users here will not do any good util it is resolved.
The updates that your AVG currently have will still provide the protection it is setup to detect. In otherwords, not being able to get this update will not make your AVG Free ineffective and as soon as AVG Tech resolves the issue you will be able to update to the current virus definitions at that time.
So in short... please do not post to report the issue, its already known. Also please be patient until AVG Technologies can address the issue.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: coastergrotto
It just says a bin file is missing when you go to Update.

I've just noticed this problem as well, although it says update failed it still shows todays date for the latest update.
Also running V8.0.138
Paul
Edit: sorry didn't read the post by artmo, must learn to read the whole thread before posting  Embarrassed
coastergrotto
Grafter

randpwar :
Thanks for that, although it does solve the problem whilst the computer is up and running if you reboot the problem reoccurs until you go through the same procedure again.      I don't wish to switch off Automatic Updates, so I have altered the Zone Alarm Firewall program to 'Ask' when installing AVG updates so I hope by denying it access in the menatime it will solve the problem.  Rebooting now.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

The problem appears to have been fixed.  I have just done a manual update and it worked and the error message has disappeared.  Grin Grin
coastergrotto
Grafter

Exactly.  I have just successfully updated all three computers.
Now back to the Olympics.