cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my router done for?

brenda
Dabbler

Is my router done for?

Sorry I may have put this on wrong forum.
I can't get a connection though i did in the past.
The troubleshooter says
checking ADSL Synchronization FAIL.
What can i do please?
29 REPLIES 29
James
Grafter

Re: Is my router done for?

Hi Brenda,
The message you are getting there is telling you that your router isn't able to pick up the broadband signal with your telephone exchange.  This can be caused by a number of things.  Thee's a few things I'd like you to try before we look at riasing a fault to BT.
- Try using a different filter.  That's the splitter box that you have plugged into your telephone socket.  You should have these plugged into all of your used telephone sockets.
- Make sure that your router is connecting (via a filter) into your master telephone socket.
- Try borrowing a modem or router from a friend to make sur that it actually is your router that is causing a problem.
If this doesn't help at all, let us know, and we'll speak to BT for you to get them to fix your problem.
brenda
Dabbler

OK thanks will try another filter. Connections are fine. Can't borrow another router unfortunately. Will get back later.
brenda
Dabbler

I have tried a new filter. Stuck regarding borrowing a router.
James
Grafter

Hi Brenda,
Are you still getting the same error message?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you considered going for PlusNet's "free router" option, assuming it's available to you. You just pay for delivery I believe and it's free if you stay in contract for 1 year from receipt.
brenda
Dabbler

Thanks will check error message. Would i be able to return router if I get mine going?
James
Grafter

Hi Brenda,
Unfortunately not.  Once you open the box it becomes second hand and not something that we can reuse.
brenda
Dabbler

Thanks. If I have to canel within the year, how much will I pay for router?
brenda
Dabbler

I am still getting the same error message.
James
Grafter

Hi Brenda,
there would be a cancellation fee of £30.
If you're okay with that, I'll get the router sorted for you.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Have you tried plugging directly into the master sockets test socket?. If you have a new style master socket with a horizonal line down the middle, undo the 2 screws holding the front of the socket on, and remove the from, and plug the filter into the test socket you see behind this. This disconnects any extension wiring you have. If you get no Sync here, then you need to try another router or a modem.#
@jameseh, dosnt Plusnet supply routers to try if the OP does not have one, just in case, and they dont get robbed with the Bt charge.
@brenda, if another router or modem does not work, then raise a no Sync fault to PlusNet, and Bt should sort.
brenda
Dabbler

Hi penfold and thanks
I am using an extension socket in my bedroom, and to take it back to where the main socket is coming into the house I will have to get some more cable. Or do you mean a test socket in the bedroom?
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Brenda
No I am afraid i mean the BT Master socket. This is the demarkation point from BTs network, and both Bt and Plus will insist you check from here. If BT find the fault is with you, and send an engineer out, they will bill you for I think 140quid +VAT. If you get no sync from here, the fault will either be with the exchange or BTs wiring, or your router. I realise its a pain, but its better than getting charged.  The BT master socket is seen below, and also the test socket os shown, just in case yours is not like this.
Lucy
Grafter

I had exactly the same problem with my previous router...after bricking it in a driver update  Cry
It'd be worth trying another router before calling BT, £30 is a lot less than £140.