Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Your Way Option 2

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Broadband Your Way Option 2

Hi Folks,
I received an e-mail today suggesting I might wish to transfer to Broadband Your Way Option 2 from my current Broadband Home Lite 1Mb product which ive had for years. I think this would be great as it would save me about £3 per month and I would have a much greater usage allowance. I have 2 questions however before I take the plunge. Firstly, I do not require a router, can I opt to not receive one of these as I would not wish to pay for something I will not use should I choose to leave within 12 months (although im unlikely to !). Secondly, will there be any noticable speed differences between the 2 products. Again I would hate to end up with a product I am less happy with.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Rich
6 REPLIES 6
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Broadband Your Way Option 2

Hi Rich,
I'm currently on BBYW Option 2, and can say that I've had no issues with it at all. You say that you're on BB Home Lite 1Mb, which I believe is a legacy product.
One assumes from the name that you only have a 1Mb connection, whereas BBYW can use the IPStream MaxDSL product, which can give you *up to* 1 line speeds of 8Mb
All in all, you'll probably get a better line speed and probably a far better browsing experience with 15Gb of usage between 8am-Midnight.
Between Midnight and 8am, your usage isn't counted but is subject to a Fair Usage Policy

Hope this helps you make your mind up - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best regards,
Roger
Forum Plod
**Disclaimer**
1Means that the maximum theoritical line speed could reach 7.5Mb, but in reality, you'll be lucky to see 6.5Mb on a short line with a decent noise margin - the average seems to be around 3-4Mb - therefore it's advisable to visit Samknows and stick your details in the exchange checker as this will give you a good idea of what your line speeds could be.
**Disclaimer 2**
Please do not hold me responsible if you can't get 7.5Mb line speed or anywhere near it, it's all down to how good your line is physically and how close to the exchange you are - That's how MaxDSL works  Wink
rja66
Rising Star

Hi Roger,
Apologies, ive really managed to confuse everybody here, including myself !!!! -  I couldnt remember the exact name of my product & so I found an old activation e-mail to check, this was my original product, please excuse my dippy moment  Roll_eyes
I am currently on an 'up to 8Mb' account (where do you go to check what product it is?) and am enjoying around a 5.5 mbps connection with a download limit of up to 6GB. Im not sure if there is a different contention etc between PAYG (if thats what mine is) & Option 2. Then there is the router question, I would like to know if I can opt out of that??
Cheers,
Rich
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Assuming the email you referred to is the same one as I received its first sentence should tell you what product you are on. "Although you're a product-type customer …" Alternatively check under the Summary heading on the view_my_broadband_usage page.
Your question about the router is easy - taking that is an option, it is not compulsory.
As far as comparisons stand, if you are on Broadband PAYG that has no traffic shaping restrictions on speed at any time (apart from congestion, which is common to everything).
The speeds table for BBYW2 can be found here.  The product description says "Broadband Your Way Option 2 is ideal for all general Internet activities and occasional gaming and VPN. Designed to cater for some, although light, binary USENET, Peer-to-Peer, VPN or music/video downloads". The sentence in italics is my marking - would that bother you? Also FTP and P2P upload speeds are restricted to 128kbps during afternoon and evening.
David
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Your product is detailed on the member centre under account settings -> account details.
rja66
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies. I can confirm I am on PAYG. If I understand the speed table correctly I believe my demands should fall under the 'everything else' catagory as I do not download large files etc. or use FTP / Usenet. I think this product may be fine for me.
One further question, do we pay in advance or for the month just gone? - Or in other words is there a best time to upgrade as I have just gone into a new month and paid my account.
Thanks again.
Rich
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You always pay in advance on PlusNet.
If the new product costs less it will normally be switched to at the end of the current billing period (i.e. PN don't do refunds). If the product costs more, you can ask for it to be swiched to now (where you pay an additional fee to cover the difference in cost for the remainder of your billing period) or it can happen on your billing date.