cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webstats incorrect for last Saturday?

Tony_W
Grafter

Webstats incorrect for last Saturday?

My webstats for Saturday show about 2.5 to 3 times the bandwidth that my own PHP-based stats show.
This has never happened before.
Has anyone else noticed anomalies with Saturday's values?
Tony

6 REPLIES 6
coastergrotto
Grafter

Re: Webstats incorrect for last Saturday?

Mine are as I would have expected.  I did a lot of downloading through the night and this is reflected in my usage.
Tony_W
Grafter

@coastergrotto
The webstats look at traffic from your webspace i.e. other people looking at your website and perhaps downloading this from it.
I think that you may be thinking of your bandwidth usage (you on the internet looking at videos, or p2p usage.
Tony
puddy
Grafter

Tony I have had this happening for the last 3 month.  I have stopped any one downloading pictures from site
My web stats show 80% unknown or unresolved and my page keeps getting archived
Last week it was only on four before being archived again
It has been okay until November 2007 my ip web cam had been on most of last summer and my site was never archived

puddy

coastergrotto
Grafter

Sorry Tony, you are quite right.  Apologies.
Tony_W
Grafter

I have checked my raw weblogs for Saturday. Although one user (82.167.71.120) only clicked on the download link button 8 times, the weblog entries show many attempts at getting the file - almost all of them failed. In total that single person downloaded 147MB of files during those 8 clicks. My software is less than 1MB in size.
I suspect that they had a badly behaved download accelerator. They were using the Avant browser extension, which may be the culprit.
So, it looks like a dodgy web browser or download accelerator could take my web site off-air. I was lucky this time, it came on an otherwise 'slow' day, but it still came to 230MB for the day - 20MB under the limit.
As I can not get any real-time measure of the bandwidth used, I can not stop something like this happening again.
Can I ask if anyone knows how to limit the traffic bandwidth usage by any IP address in any one day? I can already limit the clicks, but that appears that that is not enough since one click can produce hundreds of requests.
Or, failing that, how it is possible to know in real-time how much webspace bandwidth has been used so that when the total is close to my limit I can redirect further usage somewhere else ?
@Puddy, I would get hold of your raw weblogs (not webstats) in .GZ format, un-gzip them using e.g. 7-zip and have a look to see what is really going on.
Tony
Tony_W
Grafter

I've investigated further.
The downloads were all partial or incomplete downloads - code 206. The number of 206 codes for the month up until then was 1682 and this went to 2730 during Saturday.
I have blocked the IP address of the 'offender' but there is nothing I can do to stop someone else (or the same person with a dynamic IP address) from doing the same again.
I found something on the internet about
mod_throttle and mod_bandwidth both have ways to limit concurrent connections as well as download speeds
but these have to be used by PN rather than on my web site. They are, I believe, free GNU products.
PN - wouldn't it be a good idea to limit the concurrent connections from any IP address in order to stop possible DOS attacks?
If I am wrong, could someone please explain why?
Tony