Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET framework

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

.NET framework

While installing some (blood pressure monitoring) software. I was offered the option of installing MS .NET framework (1.1 I think) that the software quote uses occasionally. I accepted the option. I was amazed just how long this took to install. At the configuration stage the progress bar (I lost count) must have been refreshed at least 10 times and might have been more. Again I wasn't watching a clock (not expecting this) but it must have taken 10 to 15 minutes to install the .NET framework before getting round to installing the BP software.
Without getting into the ethics of my installing things when I don't know what they're for; what exactly is .NET framework? What's it used "occasionally" for? and what would have been the effect of taking the "No" option?
I was also surprised that after all this seemingly complex install, I would need a mandatory restart, but it didn't. Other than this, it all "seems" to be working Ok.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: .NET framework

Basically it is a set of pre-built functions for various things like screen layout, field input etc that you can used to create  applications. It allows you to create small applications (thus quicker/easier to download) which then use the .NET libraries already installed on a PC.
It was MS's attempt at a IDE / RDE (Integrated Development Environment / Rapid Development Environment) as the hope was the .NET framework libraries would be developed for other OS's (e.g. Linux, Max OS) so making your applications portable. It never took off!!!
There are currently 3 versions .NET 1.X, .NET 2.X and .NET 3.X and all range from 40 to 120MBs in size, hence why it took so long to install!
http://andymcm.com/dotnetfaq.htm

petlew
Pro

Thank you Peter.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
br1anstorm
Rising Star

Just happened to see this subject when browsing the forum... and it reminded me that when I was looking for a (free) CD-burning app, one that I looked at was CDBurnerXP.  But their site said - rather defensively - that it also required installation of the .NET framework ... "which many people don't like".
I didn't know what the .NET framework was, but that reference was enough to put me off! 
BTW I'm still looking for decent free CD-burning software...
br1anstorm 
petlew
Pro

It's possible you may find free burning software, and decent burning software, but you may not find them both in the same place.
I fundamentally understood Peter's definition of .NET framework, but not what difference it would have made if I had taken the available option not to install it...if you see what I mean. The software in question is there to produce daily/weekly/monthly graphs of blood pressure readings, pulse rates etc. and track trends etc. in a format that will be understood by the medical profession. Does this mean if I hadn't installed .Net framework, it wouldn't do this, if so why have it as an option? if you see what I mean... As it stands, with the .Net it works just fine, but would it have done so without it?

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Some functions of the software may not have worked and thus may have been greyed out on menus if .NET did not exist. Whether the actual recording would work I don't know but given the fact it was optional probably means it would function as described but with less functionality like graphs etc.
There are very few programs that rely on .NET anyway as it never really took off.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you remember when certain programs written in Visual Basic required you to get hold of the appropriate VB run-time dll (MSVBVM60.DLL etc.)? Well .NET is the infinitely bloated successor to that.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petlew
Pro

Thanks again Peter.
And yes jelv, I do remember that now you reminded me, thanks.