cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapidshare blocked by IWF?

drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Rapidshare blocked by IWF?

I just tried to get on to rapidshare to download some files I have stored and all I keep getting is this error message:
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.rapidshare.com/
The following error was encountered:
    * Read Error
The system returned:
    (104) Connection reset by peer
An error condition occurred while reading data from the network. Please retry your request.
Generated Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:56:49 GMT by pcl-iwfcache02.plus.net (squid)
From the address at the bottom I guess it's got something to do with the IWF cache? Is this permanent or an accidental listing?
EDIT: It's just started working again! Very bizarre! Anyway feel free to delete or lock!
3 REPLIES 3
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Rapidshare blocked by IWF?

We're just allow the post to drift quietly into obscurity.  Wink
LiamM
Grafter

It's possible.  I've seen this happen before.  Due to the nature of how RapidShare works it is often used to attempt to distribute content of an illegal nature.  The sort that the IWF block.  Possibly you hit an IP that has been blocked?
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Hi there,
Bob P posted a diagram of the logic behind the IWF proxy machines in an earlier thread - I'll see if I can find it (as it's from the docs I wrote internally!).
Edit: Here it is:

Basically, what has happened there (from my educated guess) is that the IP of RapidShare has gotten onto the IWF list (remember, all it takes is one verified child abuse image and the IP goes in), so that the connection goes through the proxies.
If there was a problem between you being sent to the proxy and the proxy retrieving the file (here it shows read error, which means the proxy didnt finish retrieving the file) then you end up seeing the error page with why the proxy couldn't honour your request.
Hope this clears up the confusion - I meant to post yesterday but was stuck in a cold server room all day Smiley
- Gricey
Edit:  Added image