cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Speed

martin2006
Grafter

Sync Speed

i wonder if anyone can help, my max connection used to run at 6mb plus without any problem, but i noticed that when gaming i was having connection issues and also slow gaming problems and noticed my sync speed was down at 5500 from at least 6500.
i have been through every test and have received every answer possible to my raised ticket and have now been told it is due to contention at the exchange, even though during the fault checkers it said it wasnt contested.
is there any way i can get the sync speed raised, as i have now upgraded my modem to adsl2 and changed the cable to high quality sheilded and also replaced the master socket with one with a built in filter to try and rule out any internal problems. all this was done before the tests.
i have been told that for my connection the speed isnt classed as a fault but the point i am trying to make is that it has reduced.
i have also had the subtle blackmail that i may be charged £170 by bt if they dont find a fault, or find it to be internal, and i thought i was paying bt for that line with my phone bill.
i have upgraded to plusnet pro but if this isnt resolved then i dont really see the point of paying the extra.
hope someone can put me straight, as i am obviously thinking that sync speed is down to the quality of the connection between my pc and the exchange, rather than the amount of people using it.
many thanks
3 REPLIES 3
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Sync Speed

Martin2006,
Try out the tools at: http://www.dslreports.com and look for retransmissions.
I have had a problem, see:
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
There is a big radio mast about 2 miles away. I get very poor FM as it is swamped by the local radio station. My longwave reception is not very good now and medium wave is probably not that good.
You could be getting a new radio interference problem that is only now affecting your wiring.
Doug
martin2006
Grafter

please remove this post and leave the one in community support unlocked, i am new to this and would rather keep to the community support forum.
i am totally dissapointed by the level of customer support from raising a ticket and would appreciate any help i can get from the forums.
thanks
prichardson
Grafter

Having had a look at this for you, I can only apologise that we have hinted this is contention. This is clearly not the case here.
I have passed on this information to the analysts in question.
In regards to your issues, the fact your sync speed has reduced is insignificant. Review and benchmarks of your line show its thresholds were thought to be band on your current sync rate.
Based on the lines testing we have done, and the testing that has been performed by BT, there is no line fault found and as such, the decrease seen is just a natural product of the way the product works.
I can categorically assure you that the charges you have been advised above (£144+vat - £169.20 inc vat) are in no way blackmail.
They are legitimate charges as incurred by us for each an every engineer tasked to a fault they basically should not have needed to be. The service provided by this engineer is nothing more than that which can be offered by a local alarm or network engineer, who will in many cases charge less too.
It is to cover the time they are with you and I am sure you wouldn't expect an alarm engineer to do this for free.
In regards to this being covered by your line rental. The engineer is not there to look at your phone line.
They have already stated (as we have) that no fault is found in testing, so they can should you request to, come out and look at your internal cabling for you and locate any problems there.
In my personal opinion, you should not take the engineer option here and there is little point seeking to have somebody come in such as an alarm engineer to look at this for you.
The reason being, is that I feel there is no fault at all and your perceptions of the speed your connection should operate at are a little too high.
From the first 10 days of your service, we can see what your line was capable of and since that time, your line speed has been operating above this. This may be in your favour, but should not ben expected to remain as such.