Monday 28th July 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

free rail travel for over 65s in England

« on 30/07/2007, 16:58 »
There is a petition for this if you are interested:

http://petitions.pm.gov.u...Rail/?ref=freeseniorsrail
« Reply #1 on 30/07/2007, 17:20 »
I've just signed it but I'm a bit puzzled as to why the qualifying age has been set at 65. Free prescriptions, free bus travel and pension credits are all available at age 60.
Martin
A satisfied plusnet customer from October 2004 to Mid February 2009
  • PJ
  • View Profile
« Reply #2 on 30/07/2007, 17:58 »
I'd argue for free local travel (underground, sub-urban routes) but I'm not quite convinced that there should be national travel funded by the tax payer. Local travel is necessary for day to day life, travelling the length and breadth of the country is not.

Providing decent care homes, heating, healthcare and food are all much more important IMO.

As such I have not signed the petition.
  • Be3G
  • Bright Spark
  • View Profile
« Reply #3 on 30/07/2007, 18:15 »
And there's always the Senior Railcard - not quite free travel, but better than a poke in the eye.
Thomas Kuglin - known as kuglin on the old vISP forums.
Former vISP forum and latterly Community moderator, and operator of usertools IRC.

My web presences: twitter | flickr | last.fm
  • Alex
  • Bright Spark
  • View Profile
« Reply #4 on 31/07/2007, 11:02 »
Also it does already exist in London.

Not national and only valid after the morning rush - but covers quite a wide area (greater than the zones of a travelcard I believe):
http://www.freedompass.org
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE