Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow delivery of email!

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Slow delivery of email!

All that means is that a previous user of your (dynamic) IP chose to provide that postcode as their current location. The computer systems remember that until someone updates the information, either manually or by sharing location information from (say) a mobile phone.
The website you visited has no idea where you really are.
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Buggwrit
I've noticed, though, that the IP address changes periodically even without power cycles and have often wondered why this happens.

The IP will only change following a PPP disconnection/reconnection.
Quote from: jab1
Just to add my name to the list, as some emails I received this morning appear to have been 'stuck/lost in space' for a while.

I don't think that problem's related to the issue being discussed as it affected the receipt of your emails, rather than the sending of them.
Quote from: TW
I have a FTTC connection and a fixed IP (80.229.....)
As many have suggested, I turned off the BT modem and my router and computer and restarted them.
This manoeuvre has had no effect.
Emails - with just 'OK' in the body - still take 25-30 secs to be uploaded from icedove in Debian 8.

Are you able to try a different client? My IP is in the same subnet as yours and I can send without any delay at all Huh
Quote from: artmo
Were you working yesterday or just good enough to help us out in your own time?

My own time.
Quote from: artmo
I checked my IP address at the website you provided. I got the following info:
City: bedford
State/Region: england
Postal Code: mk42 0au
Fortunately I don't live in Bedford Wink and don't have a MK42 postcode. Is there an explanation for this?

Yes, like David says, geo-location is not an exact science. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

radman

I've also noticed slow sending over the last week or so.
I am a dynamic IP customer and my dynamic address gets changed quite often. I have run several tests over the last 30 minutes. I sent a one line email to myself, then bounced the connection using the router web-page buttons for disconnect and connect. I run lubuntu with Thunderbird 24.6.0. The delay happens with the message "Delivering mail" showing. There is no delay during the phase connecting to the PN server
87. range : 18 seconds
146. range: instant
84. range: instant
87. range: instant, but see the first test!
84. range: connection dropped before I could send the test email and took a couple of miutes to re-establish
146 range: 15 seconds, but see the second test!
In my case, the problem is not restricted to a particular address range, and is not consistent in ranges where it is evident.
Hope this helps. Happy to try other suggestions from PN

Chris
derekhaselden

I see I'm not alone !  I too have noticed in the last couple of weeks or so that my outgoing emails (I can see the effect because I use Thunderbird) take a long time to send.  Also the mails once sent then take some time to work through to the destination server.  My broadband speed checks out as fine (between 12 and 18 Meg depending on time of day) and web pages seem to arrive pretty quickly (though with the usual clicks and bumps sometimes).
There clearly is a problem, but no-one seems to have an answer.  Is anyone from PlusNet listening in ?
Grafter

Hi, not sure if this is same issue, but my emails tend to be relatively ok when sending, but take longer to  load into my Inbox, then to open individual emails, or when I decide to move emails into my email files. I get the 'buffering' signal and eventually they open or complete the move to designated email file. I use PlusNet webmail and I think POP3 (how do I check this?). This has been going on for a few weeks now, but I was ever hopeful that it would be remedied as a result of similar issues experienced by other users.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

What OS are people using when seeing slow email?
Not only am I on one of the 'suspect' IP addresses, but I've noticed more delays since recently upgrading to Win10.  This morning my Win10 platform was reporting extensive IMAP connectivity issues (same for my IRC session) whilst IMAP access from my iPhone was all OK.
Subsequent to rebooting the Win10 platform, it is operating normally.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

derekhaselden

I too am on indows 10 but the email problem happened some while after I went onto Windows 10 - that's not to say Windows 10 isn't a factor just that it is not provably cause and effect.  Not being that web-savy I don't fancy rebooting Windows 10 so I guess I'll just have to hope that the switch off/switch on which will happen when I migrate to fiber (later this week) will work - but then see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,146300.0.html
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

By 'rebooting' I simply meant shutdown and restart - not a rebuild!  Shocked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: derekhaselden
There clearly is a problem, but no-one seems to have an answer.  Is anyone from PlusNet listening in ?

Yes, there is a problem. We've an internal incident raised that our network engineers are looking into (ref: 89083).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

coldboot
Hooked

I have noticed this too, and would agree that the problem has been apparent since say mid Nov. I'm using Thunderbird POP3 on OpenSuSE Linux. I see my IP address today is 146.199.28.160. Emails used to get sent virtually immediately but now even the tiniest email hangs around before your eyes for 25 - 30 secs, and that seems to be the same for all outgoing emails. Have become quite irritated with it.
derekhaselden

Excellent, and many thanks to Bob Pullen for cheering us all up (and also to Townman - sorry I misunderstood but as I say I am not that web savy).  Lets hope there's a solution. Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Derek,
Lets not lose sleep over that!  Grin
We were all beginners at one time and this space is full of short hand language... which we old lags are sometimes guilty of forgetting it means nothing to many!  Hope you'll remain around here.
Kevin

Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob

Yes, there is a problem. We've an internal incident raised that our network engineers are looking into (ref: 89083).

Hi Bob
I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but could the problem be exacerbated by an ever increasing size of the Webmail "Sent" folder?
Boz
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Bob
Why is this not showing in the service status for e-mail (currently showing no reported problems). My email is taking longer than 30 seconds just for text.
Jack
derekhaselden

It gets more interesting.  I had fiber installed this morning and the slow email problem has vanished - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,146300.0.html
But though my upload speed has increased so far the download speed hasn't.  I recall seeing a post on a different forum saying that one problem is that PlusNet specify the line speed and gave a web address where you could check the setting for your line.  I'm off now to try to find the answer.  Undecided