cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You couldn't make this up!

Haybasha
Rising Star

You couldn't make this up!

Well at around 4am last night my connection suddenly resynced from my 80/20 profile which I spend a great deal of time and effort to keep when renegotiating my new 2 year contract, see my previous thread -
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143269.0.html
It is now on a 40/10 profile and after speaking with PlusNet support they have told me BT have limited the speeds in my area, I was not told about this and even better the OR estimates are still showing a max speed of 44.6Mbps (I was actually connected at 46Mbps). See attached.
Time to speak to the retentions team again, I expect to be on their Christmas card list now!! I'm absolutely livid!!
Dick:green Attachment edited to remove full telephone number.
48 REPLIES 48
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: You couldn't make this up!

Quote from: Haybasha
It is now on a 40/10 profile and after speaking with PlusNet support they have told me BT have limited the speeds in my area
I think you misheard or the PN rep misspoke.
I've never heard of BT forcing an entire area onto 40/10. I think all that's happened is that for some reason your line has resynced at a much lower speed and the availability checker has updated to reflect this. The modem stats suggests that it's a temporary glitch because they claim a maximum possible of over 64Mb/s (downstream rate 64773). Hopefully DLM will relent over the next few days and your speed will go back up.
pwatson
Rising Star

I would take what PN told you with a very large pinch of salt - It is increasingly clear that first line support are not well trained and make things up if they're not sure of the answer...  BT continuously revise their estimates, based on real life conditions but they don't revise which wholesale product you're on.
Other than your download speed has dropped slightly, what is the issue?  Crosstalk etc may well be responsible for the drop from around 44Mbps download to around 37Mbps and your upload speed looks pretty much what you had before?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The fact that the upstream IP profile is now 10Mb/s indicates that he is on the 40/10 product - now why or how it was changed is a different question
Haybasha
Rising Star

The issue is my package has dropped from 80/20 to 40/10 as is evident from the BTW speedtest as pointed out above. I was told to boot my modem/router again in 4 hours but that BT have limited the network so DLM will drop my speed down again.
It seems very strange that my max achievable (granted based on an SNR of 0dB) is around 65Mbps, this alone leaves me with the conclusion I've been fobbed off.
This is not just a temporary glitch and to be honest I was not confident in the responses I got from first line support.
On the plus side my new contract doesn't kick in until 04/10/15 so if it's not sorted this evening I'll be calling the retentions team tomorrow and will most likely cancel.
The other issue I fail to see is that if this is fact how this can happen without warning, contractually a paying customer should be told and given the option of cancellation in a case such as this.
PlusNet support are starting to move into BT support territory! I left BT and came to PlusNet because of all the lies from their support team and the fact they didn't have a clue.
deathtrap
Grafter

Also  they don't any longer sell a 40/10 product it's 40/2 , Some support error me thinks , i bet they intended sticking you on the 40/2 product but for some reason you where provisioned on the 40/10 , They should not be re provisioning customers on any other product without their knowledge and consent , as this is what should form the basis of any contract , typical of inept poorly trained staff
Haybasha
Rising Star

Well they originally tried to tell me I could only have 40/2 and that I was on 40/2 already but after pointing out the fact I'd been on 80/20 for 3 years and manage to get 46Mbps down consistently the retentions team agreed a deal for me to stay on 80/20 for a further 2 years.
I was not prepared to take the hit on upload and as my download is always better than the FTTC A max value they agreed to do this for me.
Now it seems they have dropped me onto a cheaper package but are happy not to inform me, makes you wonder how many people out their this is happening too and they don't know enough to realise? I'm going to check what my neighbours are currently getting as a further line of defence.
Haybasha
Rising Star

It also seems very strange that BT will offer me 80/20, I've just checked.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't think the OP is on the 40Mb package as it's a cap on the download at Plusnets end his full speed should still be showing in the Btw test results but it isn't,  it doesn't look like it's down to a package change it looks very much like his line has actually dropped to the levels that it's showing in the Btw test,  as to the reason why i couldn't say
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are confused
The old Plusnet 40/20 package was a rate limited 80/20 package but the OP has been moved from 80/20 to 40/10 which isn't rate limited by Plusnet
Andrue
Pro

* Deleted *
Haybasha
Rising Star

As Oldjim has said It's not just the download capped at 40 my upload is also capped at 10.
It does suspiciously look like I've been bumped from 80/20 to 40/10 unless someone has gone out of their way to cap both upload and download. PN support also told me this was BT's doing so it can't be a cap set by PN.
As for PN support telling me 80/20 is no longer available in my area due to BT, that's not right either, as I said above BT will sell me 80/20 still and I can provide the proof if required.
Terranova667
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
You are confused
The old Plusnet 40/20 package was a rate limited 80/20 package but the OP has been moved from 80/20 to 40/10 which isn't rate limited by Plusnet

I don't think that's right , when i made my new deal and Plusnet downgraded me to 40/10 because of their estimate views I was able to go back to 80/20 because the download on the Btw test was still showing the full speed of the line which at the time was 55Mb it was a Plusnet cap that put me down to 40Mb not a BTw product change, I agree they may do that for 40/2 but not 40/10 as i said i don't think the op is being capped it looks very much like his speeds have dropped to that level
Edit.. here is my BTw test from when i was downgraded which i used as evidence of being able to go back to 80/20 as you can see the line still shows that the line was at 55Mb and the cap was in place to put me on the 40Mb product. the OPs BTw test should look something like this if  the package was changed to 40/10 
Haybasha
Rising Star

Quote from: Terranova667
I agree they may do that for 40/2 but not 40/10 as i said i don't think the op is being capped it looks very much like his speeds have dropped to that level

Not according to PN support plus take a look at the BTW speedtest above, yes I agree my speed could drop (even though I have very few errors and a resync this afternoon has done nothing) but not my upload profile rate, this has dropped from 20Mbps to 10Mbps.
Just to re-clarify, PN support have told me this is BT's doing not theirs. I find that hard to believe.
Terranova667
Pro

hmm something strange for sure is going on,  the upload should still show 20Mb if you were downgraded to 40/10 by plusnet as shown in my BTw test so it wouldn't be their doing unless of course Plusnet have changed things without saying something and now it's a complete product change done at the BTw end, hopefully CRT can figure out and say what is going on.