cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mother-in-law super slow connection

SaneDave
Dabbler

Mother-in-law super slow connection

I'm at my mother-in-law's and her ADSL connection is running excruciatingly slowly.  As her IT representative, it falls in my hands to fix Smiley
Google and plusnet site/forums (luckily) appear to be running fine, but other sites take forever to load or simply fail.
I did a bit of basic things like rebooting the router and plugging in the master socket, but still no luck. I even upgraded the router firmware as i'd heard the tg582n was flakey on the original one. No improvement. On here i've seen the diagnostic steps and have the following info:
Router:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:09:27
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,167 / 13,247
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4.96 / 8.02
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.4 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.2 / 6.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 16 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 21
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 96
Plusnet:
Telephone number:
01579******
Phone exchange:
LISKEARD
Estimated line speed:
8Mb (This may vary between 5Mb and 10.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-08-07 13:03:47
Current line speed:
11 Mb
But the kicker from the BT site:
Download speed 0.01 (Ouch!)
Upload 0.89
Ping 70.25

So; am i looking at a line fault, and exchange fault, a hardware fault, ****something else**** fault?
Any pointers (or admins) who can help would be appreciated
Dave
17 REPLIES 17
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Mother-in-law super slow connection

Thanks for posting the stats  are those the sort of speeds you were expecting.
Are you just there for the weekend?  
I would try the BT test again - it  the one from here?

Result of a BT speedtest http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do but only for IP profiles.
If you want a full speed check use this http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then Further diagnostics for the IP profiles
are you able to try a  corded phone and do the quiet line test  17070 option2  

SaneDave
Dabbler

Thanks for replying Smiley
She's been on this service for a while, its the standard ADSL one, and she we getting a decent speed before - i can't remember exactly, but the ~12mbps sync it shows currently sounds right (went up to the 13,200kbps shown when in the master socket). She says it was feeling a bit slow over the past month, with the last week being as it is now.
Heres what i get:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 11.29 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.83Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Quiet line test sounds OK to me, a gentle background hiss, but nothing i no other noise. I'm guessing thats normal?
Cheers,
Dave
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Can you PM me the username?
I'll have a look.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Hi Dave,
It is important when providing stats that they are all current.  The speed reported in the modem stats should give a BT profile of 11.68Mbps and a PlusNet current speed of 11.6Mbps.  The figures you reported either suggest a lag in updates or they are not concurrent and imply reboots at a different speed occurred in between obtaining the different bits of information.
The synch speed is quite a bit slower (3Mbps) than one who hope for on your line.
Your comments suggest that the router is normally on the end of an extension - is that one wired from the back of the master socket faceplate, or one plugged into the front of the faceplate?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SaneDave
Dabbler

The last speed test was indeed done at a separate time due to moving around between extension and master socket, the stats are not changing a huge amount between reboots. The first set of stats (including the slightly deficient BT speed test) were all done at the same time from the master socket, and the one with the IP profile was when i had moved back to the extension. I've done a new set (below), I've not restarted the router for over a day now, so perhaps the stats are more telling?  It is plugged into a faceplate extension rather than hardwired, I know it isn't ideal and perhaps if it was in my house i would do something different, but my mother in law isn't chasing every last megabit. More than just a few KB would be nice though Smiley
Router:
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 6:04:34
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,155 / 13,059
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 351.67 / 350.75
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.3 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.1 / 28.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,015 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 38 / 1,831
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 19 / 10,847
Plusnet portal:
Telephone number:
01579******
Phone exchange:
LISKEARD
Estimated line speed:
8Mb (This may vary between 5Mb and 10.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-08-07 13:03:47
Current line speed:
11.5 Mb
BT spped test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 11.52 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.78Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Dave,
Thanks - those stats check out OK.  Profiles are correct for the synch speed, even if more synch speed ought to be attainable, the issue here is effective throughput.  Is the device running the speed test connected by wire or wifi?  If not wired, this could be a wifi problem.
What is the device being used?  Are you sure that it is free of viruses?  These have been known to slug speed tests.  Is there something like dropbox synching?  Is it by chance down loading the 2+GB Win10 update? Sent & received data volumes are minimal, so it does not look like something in the background slugging the link.
@CRT - is there some other throttle point other than PN profile or wifi which could cause this excessively low data speed please?  What is the line error rate looking like please?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What Plusnet tariff is this on? Some of the older tariffs with usage quotas either added on extra charges, or slow down your speed (nominally to 256kbps) until the next billing date, if you exceed the monthly usage quota.
SaneDave
Dabbler

We originally noticed it was slow on my wife's ipad, then my phone, and I initially started investigations using my Mac over wifi, but i did do the tests directly wired (with wifi off!) with my mother in law's Win7 Dell whilst using the master socket. So, doesn't appear to be device based problems, there was only ever the one machine on at a time while testing and 4 showed issues.  It is the technicolor router that people say has bad wifi, but that doesn't appear to be the issue here seeing as wired still had bad throughput, although i'm not ruling out something else in the router being bad. Its odd that upload is running at normal speeds, but download is several times slower. Although fairly irrelevant by this point, I did a quick check on the wifi scanner on my phone and there is no overlapping wifi nearby anyway.
@ejs - She is currently on the 10Gb value tariff, although it has no restriction on extra data blocks and she was showing as about 2gb though a 5gb extra block, so shouldn't be that. As it happens i had just hit the button to move her to unlimited seeing as guests always leach off her wifi and take her into extra data Smiley
Thanks,
Dave
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Dave,
From another thread with a similar profile of problem...
Quote from: Townman
Now that is a good thought.  Where a PC has wifi capability, unless that has been explicitly disabled, plugging in an Ethernet cable is no assurance that wifi is not still being used.

For the avoidance of doubt, above you explicitly said "(with wifi off)" can you be clear how the wifi was turned off please - on the router or on the PC?

SaneDave
Dabbler

It was turned off on the laptop - adaptor disabled. I had it doubly confirmed too, when my mother in law tried to use it and I'd forgotten to re-enable it. Oops Smiley
Dave
cedlor
Grafter

I am not following this,  can you try to stick with one machine  and keep the others off?
Is the Win7Dell  a laptop or a  Desktop PC  - Is there a desktop pc as well? and how is it connected?
SaneDave
Dabbler

There were only ever 2 machines excluding mobile type devices. Both laptops, there are no desktops. Only one was ever on at a time. The win7 dell laptop is the only one i could use for testing as the mac has not got wired ethernet. As for further testing, no more is possible - I'm back at home ~150 miles away in Hampshire.
Dave
cedlor
Grafter

I did ask how long you were going to be there on first reply. Not that I think we could do much more in the time.
Stuck now unless you can instruct  MIL how to get the  stats?
Did you PM Matthew with the  user name so he could have a look - as he has not come back perhaps remind him?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Matthew's off for a few days unfortunately, feel free to let me know which account it is.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.