cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penalties on exit? Due to KC competition.

pcm2u

Penalties on exit? Due to KC competition.

I do not agree with being charged a penalty for exiting our contract when Plusnet couldn't provide an alternative for us in the Hull region we are relocating to? I have put in a complaint and will escalate to the ombudsman and OFQUAL.
It should be made clear in the contract that Plusnet cannot offer 100% service coverage of the UK mainland due to competition in the Humber region.
  Shocked
Paul Cook
Managing Director
pcm2u ltd
9 REPLIES 9
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Penalties on exit? Due to KC competition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this is related but have a read of this from the BBC.
Broadband subscribers helped to quit slow providers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33083056
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Well that just goes to show that the head of OFCOM has no idea about what she's proposing.
Line synch speeds ahs darned all to do with the ISP, so allowing users to exit from one ISP to go to another ISP using the same infrastructure (the local copper access network) will achieve nothing more than a big fat zero.
If OFCOM really want to help users, then they need to force BTOR to sort out the d-side networks.  It is poor copper (and often aluminium) wires from cabinet to premises which is responsible for poor synch speed.  After that slow data speed is frequently down to inadequate capacity in BT exchanges.
This is a totally stupid proposal - penalising ISPs for one thing they have no control over - synch speeds on BT wires.

As for the OP's issue, the charge is for disconnection of the service at the existing premises.  If the subscriber chooses to stay with PlusNet and PlusNet can obtain service at the new premises they might have absorbed that cost.  As it is, it is KC's restrictive practices which prohibit PN supplying services in the cream phone box zone.  If you want to complain about anything, then I suggest it ought to be the anti-competition practices of KC.
dick:red Sexist comment removed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

MMMMM  this is the second post here today has been sat here All Day and  Still awaiting a reply from PN staff  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Am I correct in thinking Hull is one of the few places not served by BT?
I assume that's why PlusNet can't provide service as 'their suppliers' (aka BT Wholesale) can't offer a service there.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

You've all waided in here with today's announcement but it has nothing to do with the OP.
The original point was why should the OP be penalised for moving to Hull where the wires are owned by Kingston Communications not BT  Roll_eyes
Edit/ it's the only place
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Although I sympathise with the OP (for moving to Hull Smiley ), this situation is no different to an ISP imposing cease/early termination charges if you moved from the UK or (in the case of Virgin Media) you move to a non-cabled area.
The contract you have for broadband is address specific and by moving you are unilateraly breaking that contract and therefore at the risk of penalties.  Fortunately ISPs take the pragmatic approach that they will allow you to move without penalty as long as you re-contract to use their services in your new location.  This is a bonus and not a right and they clearly cannot offer you this bonus if you move to an area where they cannot provide service.  This is not their fault (you elected to move) so they are within their rights to treat this as a contract termination.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

^ +1
I cannot believe that as an MD of a company that has been supplying the Hull LEA with services for over 10 years that you weren't aware the the ONLY organisation that supplies services in that area is KCOM (Kingston Communications), it speaks volumes!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I'm going to be honest and say that there isn't a great deal I can add to this thread that hasn't already been mentioned. The early termination charges represent a portion of the contractual fees and also the charge for removal of the broadband service.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.