cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype video chat (upload)

rkhost

Skype video chat (upload)

For the last few months (on standard broadband connection) my Skype video chat works badly for transmitting video+voice.
I can see and hear the other side fine. But they report terrible quality video and delayed voice.
So, it got so bad that the only way for me to get video chat to be workable is my using mobile data connection (three network) on my phone?
I decided to switch to fibre. Now I have it a days or so - and the problem still exists? Skype does not work in sending direction (from me to receiver) - it must be a traffic shaping or latency problem?
Since I do not stream HD video or watch movies - and Skype is the only application I am running - can my connection QoS be set to prioritise Skype traffic?
If I cannot get an answer to this there is simply no point having faster broadband - and I may as well revert to the earlier cheaper variety.
Right now my solution for skype chat is still my mobile phone using the mobile data network! How can they be better than plus.net fibre broadband!?

Update: I also tried skype video chat on a PC with a webcam and a ethernet cable into the router (so not using wifi or phone or tablet) - but same problem exists.
Is there some traffic shaping going on with Skype?
Please advise!
Thanks,
Roger
ps...
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ actually gives me a good result....
Download Speed (Mbps): 75.22
Upload Speed (Mbps): 11.95
Ping Latency(ms): 26.25
...but for skype traffic clearly it is getting managed differently?

8 REPLIES 8
JasonMassey
Grafter

Re: Skype video chat (upload)

Hi, points that spring to mind.
1) Are you using the latest version of Skype?
2) Skype uses UTP packets as well as TCP.  Is there anything restricting UTP,  what router are you using?  
3) Have you done a ping test on your fiber connection?
4) Have you tried your phone using WiFi from your home connection?  If this works it could indicate an issue with your computer and not the connection.
5) I'll let Plusnet answer but 99% sure Plusnet has no traffic management on upload.
6) Just an observation, your upload speed looks disproportionately low compared to your download speed, also your ping looks a little high.  These should not effect Skype however.
rkhost

Hi, thanks for the reply.
1) Yes, I am using the latest version(s) of Skype on the phone and the tablet, and also on the Dell PC.
2) I am using the plus.net router as provided with the new fibre connection.
    I was using a netgear before this (when I was on regular plusnet broadband).
3) What should I ping? www.plus.net pings in 26-30ms, www.skype.com pings in 25ms, www.google.com pings in 19ms
4) yes, the problem on the phone (or tablet) occurs with the Wi-Fi. If I switch the phone to mobile-data (1p per MB on three network!) - then the video chat works okay again - not ideal video quality but works both ways without latency problems?
    I pulled an old webcam out on plonked it onto the Dell here so I could try a non-Wifi (ethernet cable into the plusnet router) - but exactly the same problem occured!!
5) It's some problem which has arisen within the last few months. I noticed other people have the same problem (so I am not alone). http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137825.0.html
    Is the problem to do with congestion?
    In many cases we get skype video to work again on wi-fi but only later in evening (maybe after 10pm or so?) - so is my connection suffering (congestion at the local exchange?) because my neighbours are watching HD TV or whatever?
    If I could I would prefer to go back to older broadband which worked a dream on skype video.
    The completely strange thing here is that all problems with quality and latency occur only where I am transmitting?! - And the problem is consistent across a phone / tablet / Dell-PC using skype on wifi or fixed cable into the router.
    And I can get it to work fine by abandoning the broadband connection and switching to mobile data on the phone where the latency problems do not exist (but the bandwidth is not great so suffers quality-wise)
6) Here is another test again now (23:00)....
        Download Speed (Mbps): 78.28
        Upload Speed (Mbps): 12.67
        Ping Latency(ms): 18.50
I don't mind if they do traffic shaping - as long as I can select that for me I want upload and download latency problems fixed for skype.
But maybe the internet suitable for video skype has vanished now and never to return?
Thanks again for your reply.
Roger

Quote from: JasonMassey
Hi, points that spring to mind.
1) Are you using the latest version of Skype?
2) Skype uses UTP packets as well as TCP.  Is there anything restricting UTP,  what router are you using?  
3) Have you done a ping test on your fiber connection?
4) Have you tried your phone using WiFi from your home connection?  If this works it could indicate an issue with your computer and not the connection.
5) I'll let Plusnet answer but 99% sure Plusnet has no traffic management on upload.
6) Just an observation, your upload speed looks disproportionately low compared to your download speed, also your ping looks a little high.   These should not effect Skype however.
JasonMassey
Grafter

Hi Roger,
As issue exists on phone using WiFi, It sounds like it's an connection issue.
Have you tried http://www.pingtest.net/  this will give an idea for quality of your line.
I don't know what else to suggest,  it sounds like there is a QOS issue in your router, or it's something related to your internet connection.
Is your router on default settings?
In Skype do you have 'Use port 80 and 443 for additional incoming connections' selected?
rkhost

Maybe virgin internet use a different backbone? All the problems (in any and all combinations) which use the plusnet (BT) network give the problem. A simple switch over to a mobile-data link on three and everything is fine again?
The problem existed on the netgear before also with standard broadband. It is an issue that has developed on the network by the looks of it.
I made a mistake in assuming an upgrade to all-singing-dancing fibre would resolve the issue.
In the past I used to get great technical support from plus.net via the ability to ask a question (customer ticket) - but this feature has been scrubbed off their web-site along with the real-time chat feature?
Are the technical experts still there or is this a cost reduction exercise by the MBAs at BT?
It is depressing in a way - especially when my flipping mobile data link performs better!! 😮
I know nothing about virgin broadband - but is there a chance a switch to them would result in better performance?
rkhost

Does somebody from plusnet turn up here to offer advice or guidance?
I'm not sure how these forum's are supposed to work at all.
Is it just a place for us customers to chat amongst ourselves in the wilderness?
Sad
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

have a look here for a monitoring solution.
deathtrap
Grafter

My guess on why you are having issues that you describe would be down to the plusnet router  or and the fact that you are using wireless for a latency sensitive application , Have you tried using skype on the wire (ethernet cable) ? , if still no joy then swap the router  if your old netgear  doesn't have a Ewan port you will have to buy a compatible router ,
Then of course there is all the peering links between the edge of plusnets network  to the persons ISP's front door and the reverse route to consider,  sometimes the peering gets changed,  where in the world is the person you skype located  in the uk or another country?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi rkhost,
FYI we don't traffic manage any upload speeds (we don't have the facility to, even if we wanted).
Bit of a longshot, but do you use any other video conferencing software, and is it the same result? I can't see any problems with your line whatsoever when we test it.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet